I'd rather recruit a 3 star AO type than... | Syracusefan.com

I'd rather recruit a 3 star AO type than...

Cuse4

Scout Team
these tall, skinny projects who are often ranked higher... Sean Williams, Dash, even Baye(although he stepped up big time Freshman yr), Obokoh etc... I know I'll take heat for saying it but the stronger types seem to develop for whatever reason... Even someone like Jeremy McNeil, i thought should have been given a bit more of a chance. And yes we can say they're good for the program and they'll stay around, but say a few guys leave for the league or get hurt, and they are forced into action, do we really want them out there?

They don't make offensive bigs like they use to. Strong boned bigs tend to work well on the offensive end. Physicallity works well in the back of the 2-3. Theres only a half dozen of 4 and 5's in college that take you off the dribble with finesse or hit a 14 footer.

We all know that Rak is bigger then Rick Jackson and Mcneil and Dajuan is 30 pounds bigger then AO
smile.png
I am very very excited as both will have a true position in college unlike guys like Paul Harris and Josh Wright.

If I'm 6'8", 240+ with good legs and hands, I'm playing tight end somewhere. To hell with bball...

Seems like JB either gets the twigs or the brutes. The perfectly in between are understandably hard to come by, of course (Carmelo, Corliss Williamson, that sort.).

I do get worried about overly bulky players - even if it's all muscle. They are just more prone to injury. As far as the skinny...putting on weight is a cruel catch-22, because it helps to have some meat on already when trying to build more muscle in the weight room. But if you're not at that point...

Looks aren't everything, though. I once joined Gold's Gym, and even though I had only gained 10 pounds (half of that probably beer fat from the then-new craft brew craze around town), my bench press (15 reps) went from 90 to 160 pounds in a month.

DaJuan's transformation already seems remarkable.

If I'm 6'8", 240+ with good legs and hands, I'm playing tight end somewhere. To hell with bball...

exactly or the bulk up and play o-line or D-line

wouldn't go near football if I was 5'5 with a centers game. Basketball only.

And both of you can guess which sport you are likely to be around the longest.

Neither very long with bad knees. That is hard to judge.

You mean skinny guys like Warrick?
I was waiting for someone to bring up Warrick... ya he was skinny, but doesn't really fall into that category with the guys i named... he wasn't a project... from what I can remember wasn't he a top 50 recruit? He came in and contributed right away. All the guys I named were/are centers, where Hakim was a PF

And both of you can guess which sport you are likely to be around the longest.
Amen.

I love football, but if I could play any of the major sports, football would not be it.

I was waiting for someone to bring up Warrick... ya he was skinny, but doesn't really fall into that category with the guys i named... he wasn't a project... from what I can remember wasn't he a top 50 recruit? He came in and contributed right away. All the guys I named were/are centers, where Hakim was a PF

Hak was absolutely a project. 17 mpg as a frosh (not a bad number) but no jumper, no post moves to speak of and, obviously, incredibly skinny. I don't remember his ranking but he was clearly a fall-back in the Hodge sweepstakes.

Great prospect due to his athleticism but a project nonetheless.

As an aside, I don't really get what's wrong with Baye. I think he's contributed. Took a step back last year as Xmas arrived and Melo, well, arrived officially. But he had some nice moments, is 6-10, 215 with good feet (I personally believe he could be really tough defensively for stretches at the 4, if DC/Xmas give us some offense at the 5) and, for good measure, grabbed 10 boards and blocked 4 shots in the loss to OSU. I mean, he doesn't have great hands and he's not going to be an all-BE type, but I think he's a perfectly fine use of a scholly.

Hak was unranked until we offered whereupon he became borderline top 100.

these tall, skinny projects who are often ranked higher... Sean Williams, Dash, even Baye(although he stepped up big time Freshman yr), Obokoh etc... I know I'll take heat for saying it but the stronger types seem to develop for whatever reason... Even someone like Jeremy McNeil, i thought should have been given a bit more of a chance. And yes we can say they're good for the program and they'll stay around, but say a few guys leave for the league or get hurt, and they are forced into action, do we really want them out there?

And, while we're on the topic, I'm not sure I understand your point exactly. AO was offered by UMD, I believe, so he wasn't really a no name type prospect. Williams, meanwhile, certainly wasn't ranked any higher and was viewed as a complete shot in the dark as a recruit. So putting him in the same group with Reilly, Baye and Obokoh is probably not fair.

Anyway, and I'm not trying to be a pr!ck, it seems like your point -- at least in comparing Onuaku to the other three mentioned -- is that you like productive polished players more than projects. But I think the reality is that most big guys are projects. I mean, Xmas was a mcd's guy and he's a project. In fact he had the exact same stats as Keita last season.

There is room for both types on the roster. I have posted several times in the past that we it seems like we are recruiting too high across the board and that there should be a couple of slots available for the 4 year types who are solid, have collegiate game, and are not NBA prospects. Some of those types turn out pretty well ala Rick, AO or Andy.

There is room for both types on the roster. I have posted several times in the past that we it seems like we are recruiting too high across the board and that there should be a couple of slots available for the 4 year types who are solid, have collegiate game, and are not NBA prospects. Some of those types turn out pretty well ala Rick, AO or Andy.
And a 4 year type is exactly what Obokoh projects to. Obokoh looks like a 4 year, good academic, good atitude, good pipeline, excellent program type. People have thought of him as a better BMK. You don't want a better BMK, one that you wouldn't have to use for a year (we might be able to RS him while BMK is here). Do people really think these type of guys grow on trees? I consider Obokoh to be a big get. He is the kind of SU program glue that will help continue the new raised SU level of success. Cuse4 is comparing a past starter to someone who will probably be a good backup here his entire career (ala BMK). Lets get specific, who do you want over BMK? D Johnson, well no kidding, but we can still get him. I mean as a career backup.

Cuse4 are you really ignoring all the positives and saying you don't want Obokoh because of his body type? Wow, this is getting to be one spoiled fan base. Borderline delusional.

Cuse4, if Obokoh commits, do me a favor. Just be quiet. Your comments will be better received when a nice shiny object like a Roberson or Vonleh come.

And, while we're on the topic, I'm not sure I understand your point exactly. AO was offered by UMD, I believe, so he wasn't really a no name type prospect. Williams, meanwhile, certainly wasn't ranked any higher and was viewed as a complete shot in the dark as a recruit. So putting him in the same group with Reilly, Baye and Obokoh is probably not fair.

Anyway, and I'm not trying to be a pr!ck, it seems like your point -- at least in comparing Onuaku to the other three mentioned -- is that you like productive polished players more than projects. But I think the reality is that most big guys are projects. I mean, Xmas was a mcd's guy and he's a project. In fact he had the exact same stats as Keita last season.