If Duke’s 2018 recruiting class stayed 4 years would they be like UConn WBB as Senior? | Syracusefan.com

If Duke’s 2018 recruiting class stayed 4 years would they be like UConn WBB as Senior?

Alsacs

Living Legend
I was having this discussion just now with a Dukie friend.
He thinks if those 3 Barrett, Williamson, Reddish were together by their 4th year they would dominate like UConn Women’s team as Seniors.

I told him they would be dominate but if all teams had kids stay they wouldn’t dominate like the UConn women as the depth would knock them off in some games and they wouldn’t beat Conference teams by 30 every game.

What say the masses?

So the premise is OAD talent contributing at OAD levels but staying 4 years? In a vacuum, Duke would be formidable but would lack depth. They'd be looking at 2 NC's, not 4 like you'd expect from the women. The OAD talent in future years wouldn't commit to Duke because there wouldn't be enough playing time available. It would go elsewhere and balance out the competition to an extent. The women's game doesn't have the same availability of truly elite recruits that the men's game has.

Now, if we didn't consider this in a vacuum, whatever circumstances led to these OADs staying at Duke would have to apply to a bunch of other teams; so the Kentucky's, Kansas', North Carolina's, Arizona's of the world would have some nasty rosters, too.

He thinks if those 3 Barrett, Williamson, Reddish were together by their 4th year they would dominate like UConn Women’s team as Seniors.

I told him they would be dominate but if all teams had kids stay they wouldn’t dominate like the UConn women as the depth would knock them off in some games and they wouldn’t beat Conference teams by 30 every game.

What say the masses?
Just dominate their senior year or dominate all four years? Sure maybe when they are 22 year olds playing against 18 year old do they have a chance to go 40-0 but no way do they go undefeated next season.

Just dominate their senior year or dominate all four years? Sure maybe when they are 22 year olds playing against 18 year old do they have a chance to go 40-0 but no way do they go undefeated next season.
He meant they would dominate their Senior years winning every game by 30 a la UConn women.
Not all four years.

He meant they would dominate their Senior years winning every game by 30 a la UConn women.
Not all four years.
Who knows who is coming along over the next four years? I also don't like the synergy of this group. 2 of them play the same position. Would they have a great team? Sure. But there is no guarantee that they would even win it. Let alone be UConn woman.

What say the masses?
Depends on if the budget supports paying for a top notch supporting cast. Could they afford to have Bagley, DuVal & Co. come back for another year?

What say the masses?
No. There would multiple other teams with good players. They wouldn’t be that dominate.

Tell him that UNLV was supposed to be dominant the year his Duke team beat them in the final four.
That win made Duke, thus making it the most impactful college game ever played. I watched it on an early big TV at the home of a Notre Dame fan.

That win made Duke, thus making it the most impactful college game ever played. I watched it on an early big TV at the home of a Notre Dame fan.
The repeat made Duke the next year. That's when I remember kids wearing Duke hats.

Interesting point.
But perhaps two bigger games:

The ISU-MSU Final pitting Magic and Bird in a game that marked the emergence of modern March Madness.

And the 1960's game pitting UCLA and then Lew Alcindor against Houston and Elvin Hayes...the first college game of national prime time proportions...back when being on national primetime television really meant something.

Interesting point.
But perhaps two bigger games:

The ISU-MSU Final pitting Magic and Bird in a game that marked the emergence of modern March Madness.

And the 1960's game pitting UCLA and then Lew Alcindor against Houston and Elvin Hayes...the first college game of national prime time proportions...back when being on national primetime television really meant something.
Bill Walton says it was Houston beating UCLA.
I think Larry /Magic

It was coming either way with the TV and media eventually.

Last edited:
The difference between recruits #1-5 and #20-25 in women is much greater than with the men, so, no they wouldn't domimate in the same way. It would be realistic to expect them to be something like 1 or 2 loss team that wins the NC though.

What say the masses?
They would also have to deal with trying to stay eligible at an academically elite institution for 4 years and not just a semester, something the OADs at ook don't have to worry about.

I suppose if nobody else was able to keep everyone four years...Otherwise, UConn women's dominant? Not even close.

No. The talent pool and scholarship number differences make it harder for men to dominate like that.

If Duke’s 2018 recruiting class stayed 4 years would they be like UConn WBB as Senior?

Yes, but Duke
would still be bigger bitches

Plain and simple, mens bball is NOT womens bball. Way to many good men players and teams. By a factor 10, 20 maybe 30. No way can a mens team dominate like the UCon women.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom