If Fab is done for the year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If Fab is done for the year

My thoughts- If no Melo:

25-6 Reg season (5-6 w/o Melo)

Win one in BET
3 to 5 seed in NCAA
Lose in Sweet 16 or 32 depending on matchup

Sound familar?

Agree. With no Melo I see us going about .500 the rest of the way and getting a 4 seed. As long as we win our first NCAA game I will be happy. Fab is by far the most important player on our team. Baye and XMas offer nothing on either end. It is like we are playing 4 on 5. The Zone sucks ass without Fab. Since JB won't switch to man, you can forget about seeing any D the rest of the year.

Woah; with no Melo this team is worse than last years? What about the improvement of Waiters, Fair, Southerland and Scoop?

How far we get in March will depend on our road. If we can avoid decent big men we can win.

We shot 34%, that had little to do with Melo. We still win this game if we shoot what we usually do, it's not like we put up 80 and they put up 85.

Woah; with no Melo this team is worse than last years? What about the improvement of Waiters, Fair, Southerland and Scoop?

How far we get in March will depend on our road. If we can avoid decent big men we can win.

We shot 34%, that had little to do with Melo. We still win this game if we shoot what we usually do, it's not like we put up 80 and they put up 85.

RJ was huge on both ends for us last year. He was a big loss going into this year. Fab made up for that loss. Now we have nothing. Sure we are a little better at G and F but we are A LOT WORSE at C. Not having RJs low post presence on O and working the O glass makes us a permitter jump shooting team on O. Not having RJ blocking shots, alerting shots, grabbing boards and taking up space makes us a lot worse on D. RJ was on eof the best defensive players in the BE last year. Sorry but being slightly better on the outside does not make up for the loss on the inside.

Player
GP
MIN
PPG
RPG
APG
SPG
BPG
TPG
FG%
FT%
3P%

We know what impact not having Melo had on the D last night. What's harder to judge is what impact not having him had on our O. Maybe he gets a few alley oops? Maybe he gets an offensive rebound or two? Maybe he gets Cooley in foul trouble? It's very hard to judge his impact on the offensive end but there is a chance we would have shot better and had better spacing with him on the floor.

Ok you both make good points. But I think we are significantly better at 1-4 this year than last year. You win the tournament on guard play, it's always been that way. We can just hope that Rak and/or Keita improve with each game and by March are decent in the middle.

Obviously we are a better team with Fab in the middle, but I'm not ready to chalk this up as just a Sweet 16 team yet.

Let's just wait for the decision on Tuesday, and hope we play well enough tomorrow to squeak out a win

Let's just wait for the decision on Tuesday, and hope we play well enough tomorrow to squeak out a win
Tomorrow is a must-win I feel like.

I think the air will be let out of the gym in Cincy a little since we won't be #1 and we aren't undefeated anymore.

I want to believe that Fab will be back, thats just me always being positive. However on the chance he doesnt come back does it increase the likelyhood he would be back for next year cause he wouldnt be playing and such? That would be SICK front line Fab, Rak, Dajuan, and Baye

tomorrow will tell us a lot about how the rest of our season will go

I want to believe that Fab will be back, thats just me always being positive. However on the chance he doesnt come back does it increase the likelyhood he would be back for next year cause he wouldnt be playing and such? That would be SICK front line Fab, Rak, Dajuan, and Baye
or does it decrease the chance because he can't remain elligible

People are really understating what Fab means to this team. He is our only PHYSICAL presence. No one else plays a physical game except maybe Dion. Teams have no fear coming inside against Keita or Christmas. If you've watched our games this year, players would come into the lane and either get stuffed, lose the ball or just get rid of it. There was none of that going on last night. Fab takes up so much space it allows all of our other players to extend on defense. I heard people say today that he only averages 7 points a game. True, but he also takes away 8 points per game with blocks and how many other does he alter and how many point blank misses are there because he intimates the hell out of people. His blocks also leads to some run outs, which we had ZERO last night. Without Fab we have 5-6 losses left on our schedule. Did you notice our pick and roll offense was not there last night. Without Fab, it really hurts Scoop and his ability to pick apart a defense. Fab sets great screens and when he rolls he takes two people or Scoop can just lobs it back to him. What hurts us the most is that our whole subsitution pattern is gone because Fab is missing. CJ is no longer coming in when other teams are subbing and he cleans up the offensive boards because Fab takes up so much space. Hopefully, Fab will be back on Tuesday. If he's not, this place is going to be in a complete melt down over the rest of the reason.

We know what impact not having Melo had on the D last night. What's harder to judge is what impact not having him had on our O. Maybe he gets a few alley oops? Maybe he gets an offensive rebound or two? Maybe he gets Cooley in foul trouble? It's very hard to judge his impact on the offensive end but there is a chance we would have shot better and had better spacing with him on the floor.

He gives us someone to pass it to, which at least opens up other aspects of the offense that were clearly lacking.

with fab we are 1 seed and easily final 8 team with a chance to win the whole thing without him we are a 4 seed and possibly sweet 16 and a long shot

Ok you both make good points. But I think we are significantly better at 1-4 this year than last year. You win the tournament on guard play, it's always been that way. We can just hope that Rak and/or Keita improve with each game and by March are decent in the middle.

Obviously we are a better team with Fab in the middle, but I'm not ready to chalk this up as just a Sweet 16 team yet.

Are we significantly better?

IMO

Scoop this year has not played as well as Scoop last year
Triche this year has played similar to Triche last year
Dion this year has played a lot better than Dion last year
KJo this year has been a lot worse than KJo last year
CJ this year is similar than CJ last year
JS this year is better than JS last year
Baye this year is a lot worse than Baye last year

Overall those guys as a group are better than last year but not enough to make up for the difference of RJ vs XMas which is HUGE. Those guys above will all need to step up their games significantly if Fab is gone for the year. If they just play the way they have thus far, we will be lucky to make a Sweet 16 IMO.

I think if Fab is ruled academically ineligible there is no chance he will come back next year. If he can't stay eligible, then he just has no interest in doing so, and if thats the case, why bother coming back and having to deal with the same thing next year?

I think Scoop has played better this year than last. Ditto Brandon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom