If Keita... | Syracusefan.com

If Keita...

jdubs30

Living Legend
I hope BMK is good to go Wednesday, we definitely need him behind Rak and having only 1 healthy center on the roster could be a major issue, especially vs. the more physical teams (like Pitt).

With that said, it was kind of cool to watch our offense without a true center in there. Grant at the 5 would cause MAJOR matchup problems for the other team trying to guard, we could basically have 5 guys on the wing, which leaves the paint wide open for isolation and drives. Grant is good enough with his midrange shot right now that you almost have to honor it, and he's quick enough to get by almost any center he wants. We'd basically have 5 guys in who could make an open 16 footer.

Not saying I'd want to see 40 minutes of it, but for little stretches it could give us a unique look and make us difficult to guard. Without Rak or BMK parked in the paint, CJ and Grant would get more true 1 on 1 opportunities to do what he wants in the lane.

I'd feel better about this contingency if either Roberson or Gbinije were more consistent scoring threats. If those guys were comfortable offensively, then we'd be able to really spread the floor and make it tough to match up with us, despite giving up size to most opponents. Unfortunately, the way things have played out, with them in the game, we not only get smaller, but also worse on offense than when Rak is in. We also lose a ton of shotblocking sans Rak / Keita.

I don't view Grant having to play in the pivot as ideal. I'd feel a LOT better about it if Roberson was demonstrating the type of rebounding he was known for before arriving on the hill.

If Keita is out for Pitt, we are in some trouble. Rak can't play 32+ min in a game like that and stay out of foul trouble. Grant would also have a hell of a time keeping the Pitt bigs off the offensive glass. He doesn't have the frame to hold down ground at the 5 against a very physical team like Pitt. The game will definitely be a rock fight, high 40's type of game..

I'd feel better about this contingency if either Roberson or Gbinije were more consistent scoring threats. If those guys were comfortable offensively, then we'd be able to really spread the floor and make it tough to match up with us, despite giving up size to most opponents. Unfortunately, the way things have played out, with them in the game, we not only get smaller, but also worse on offense than when Rak is in. We also lose a ton of shotblocking sans Rak / Keita.

I don't view Grant having to play in the pivot as ideal. I'd feel a LOT better about it if Roberson was demonstrating the type of rebounding he was known for before arriving on the hill.
I agree, though man, in the limited minutes Roberson has gotten lately he's shown glimpses. I feel like with an expanded role the scoring will come. He's certainly shown confidence and has flashed his potential. It just takes getting his feet wet a little more to get him up to game speed.

(Offensively...clearly as you said, the rebounding needs to come around as well)

Too bad we would give up 40 points down low each game. I never want to see Grant at center again.

I wouldn't go that far - there is no Ewing in this conference . But Grant getting in foul trouble would certainly be a disaster.

Too bad we would give up 40 points down low each game. I never want to see Grant at center again.
Well yeah, like I said if we had to see him there for extended time it'd be a problem. But like BuffOrange said, there's no stud big man in this conference, I think rebounding would hurt us more than them scoring a lot in the paint.

Roberson taking jump shots is not ideal, i'd prefer him to attack the rim exclusively.

Roberson taking jump shots is not ideal, i'd prefer him to attack the rim exclusively.

Me too. I'd love to see him concentrate on rebounding / playing defense first, and just taking the scoring opportunities that are there.

If he does that, he'll get some looks and provide the type of bench support that this team needs.

I feel like if roberson was forced into heavier duty and therefore he practiced with that in mind we would see more from him. I dont care for jerami at the 5 either but if tyler is prepared for a bigger role we might just get more of a glimpse of how good he can be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom