If Nova gets two in a row | Syracusefan.com

If Nova gets two in a row

GooseMutt

All Conference
I’m gonna puke. So friggin jealous and I do admire Wright’s ability but darn it’s a big pill to swallow

I feel our legacy is more prominent but that would give them 3. Sigh

Oops. Red face. St
I’m gonna puke. So friggin jealous and I do admire Wright’s ability but darn it’s a big pill to swallow

whoops. Red face. Still 3 though

Would be impressive. Means they'd have to win this year AND next year ;)

With the guys they have coming back (only losing Mikal Bridges I think) and the solid recruiting class coming in for next season, they very well just may be back in the Final Four.

Nova owes a lot of their success to the void left by six teams defecting from the conference as well as a realistic administration who would be hard pressed to replace Wright as Nova is far from a top job.

first it was uconn, now nova, longevity cuse with better programs, however national titles is nova now 3, and uconn 4

first it was uconn, now nova, longevity cuse with better programs, however national titles is nova now 3, and uconn 4

Well, they haven't won their 3rd just yet. ;)

But even with 2, they are an elite program now - which isn't true of a few others with 2 NCs and wouldn't be true, imho, if Michigan was to get their second tonight, they would still be below elite. A less than .600 winning percentage overall prevents them from being elite.

Cheers,
Neil

Well, they haven't won their 3rd just yet. ;)

But even with 2, they are an elite program now - which isn't true of a few others with 2 NCs and wouldn't be true, imho, if Michigan was to get their second tonight, they would still be below elite. A less than .600 winning percentage overall prevents them from being elite.

Cheers,
Neil
nova will not lose tonight

It's a good thing we have the ACC to stick out our chests on. Can you imagine if UConn ever gets an invite?

Yeah but we're in the ACC and we get da money rah rah rah, but do they get that money have have two final four this decade and have the best coach eva.

nova will not lose tonight

Come on, they're 6 point favorites against a team that hasn't lost a basketball game in two months. Michigan could easily win this game. Nova lost at home to St Johns earlier this year.

We aren't talking about a football game between Alabama and Citadel.

Come on, they're 6 point favorites against a team that hasn't lost a basketball game in two months. Michigan could easily win this game. Nova lost at home to St Johns earlier this year.

We aren't talking about a football game between Alabama and Citadel.
and Wright will be the second best coach in the game. I think Nova wins but Michigan is not some Cinderella.

Nova was 13-20 in the first half vs Kansas.. say they were a real good 9-20 its a ball game.

How is Villanova’s success bad for SU?

It shows a medium-sized, academically-competitive private school in the Northeast can be successful with talent from the general area we also recruit from.

What would be bad for SU would be the success of either a handful of blue bloods or of mega universities with more resources than SU (I.e., Texas, OSU, Wisconsin) or schools with very low academic requirements willing to do whatever it takes (Memphis, Louisville, etc.)

There is always somebody winning; therefore, there is always somebody to be jealous of.

What gets my goat is not when somebody else wins, but that we never seem to try and learn from what is working for somebody else. They always say the NFL is a copycat league. I am not saying copy willy nilly, but try and see if we can learn something from what others are doing.

Now, we can't copy the Duke and Kentucky models because their strategy is doing it with 5 star one an dones which we cannot emulate. Of course, we haven't yet seen how our recent none and done strategy will work.

However, NOVA does it wo getting the studs. That is why they are so admirable. We have more NBA draft picks than they do, so talent wise we should be better, but we are not. Jimmy is a good coach, Jay Wright is proving to be a great coach. He has his system and he gets guys to run it to a tee. Jimmy has a system as well. Problem is that their system is in tune with the modern game and ours is not.

Nova owes a lot of their success to the void left by six teams defecting from the conference as well as a realistic administration who would be hard pressed to replace Wright as Nova is far from a top job.

Their league is good enough that it won't cost them recruits (and unlike uconn the road games are attractive to recruits noone in yukons recruiting hotbeds want to play road games against Tulsa and ECU) but not good enough to threaten them.

And honestly with X losing the entire team and coach and Memphis hiring Penny the AACK is probably a better conference next year than the NBE and that is assuming uconn remains in the toilet and doesn't turn it around under Hurley. But again Northeast kids don't want to play road games against Tulsa and Tulane.

Yup. Wright is a great coach with some great players, but he was handed a pretty nice deck of cards when the top dogs of the old Big East bounced. Wright had Nova in great shape for a while but the old Big East was a machine with a handful of elite teams at the top each year. Very tough to win the conference and tougher yet to pile up enough wins to get a 1 seed. Recruiting became easier, too. The teams that left for the ACC no longer had as strong of a 'location' pitch because most road games are now a plane ride away, not a few hours drive. Not to mention the irrelevance of UConn and Georgetown now.

As much as people want to prop up the new Big East as a legitimately tough conference, it's just not nearly as top heavy as the other major conferences. It's, more or less, a conglomerate of good midmajors and old Big East rejects. Xavier and Nova carry the conference and Xavier isn't exactly a juggernaut. So Nova gets gifted a good conference record every year, with about 3 or 4 games deciding whether they win the conference or come in third. Either way, they get a higher seed than they probably deserve and an easier path through the tournament. That's no guarantee of tournament success, obviously, but Nova has done a good job of capitalizing on their opportunities.

As Jay Bilas said, “Nova is the best representation of how the game has changed.”

Even if it can result in some decent tourney runs, our system is not the future and is probably not the best way to try to win a title.

If Nova wins tonight, it’ll happen long after I’ve fallen sound asleep. 9:20 start time, lol yeah right. I’ll be in bed by halftime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom