If Syracuse doesn't work its way up to a 1 seed then we want 2 B1G teams as 1 seeds(long) | Syracusefan.com

If Syracuse doesn't work its way up to a 1 seed then we want 2 B1G teams as 1 seeds(long)

Alsacs

Living Legend
Due to the NCAA rule that prohibits the top 3 teams from the same conference being in the same bracket if the B1G doesn't have 2 teams as 1 seeds or SU isn't a 1 seed it is HIGHLY likely that the top Big East team will end up as the 2 seed in the Midwest region which will likely have Indiana and be played in Indianapolis.

I think Indiana and Miami are pretty much locks for 1 seeds due to their remaining schedules and resumes thus far. That leaves Duke, Gonzaga, Michigan, Michigan State, Syracuse, Louisville, Georgetown, Arizona as the only other viable 1 seeds. I honestly don't think the last 3 have any chance, but if they won out they would be 1 seeds. Looking at these teams say

Indiana gets the Midwest, Miami gets the East, that leaves the South and West regions let's assume Gonzaga wins out which they should and somehow will get the 1 seed in the West that leaves Duke, Michigan, Michigan State, Syracuse vying for the final 1 seed. If Duke beats Miami at home which they will be favored and most likely do so then Duke will have the inside track to that final 1 seed.

Which would mean Michigan and Michigan State would both be on the 2 line and you may ask why is this a problem? Well then that would leave most likely the BE team I am assuming its Syracuse and Arizona as the only potential teams for the Midwest region. The committee would likely keep Arizona in its natural geographic location the West and Los Angeles and just put the closer Syracuse team in the Midwest. Thus Syracuse would potentially if they reached the regional final have an Auburn Hills 2000 crowd against them with the Hoosiers in Indianapolis.

Thus, it is Syracuse's best interest for the B1G to have 2 #1 seeds or have ourselves as a 1 seed to avoid this situation of potentially playing a real hostile regional final.

yeah you beat me to this. Double whammy because we want the east region and I'd want no part of Indiana in Indy.

I'll take Indiana in the Midwest right now - because that means this team advanced to the 2nd weekend and is one game away from Atlanta. If Boeheim can somehow reach the regional final with this team, you're already bucking huge odds. Every year these discussions come up as if we're always a shoe-in to make it to the Elite 8. I realize bracket speculation is part of the fun - but there's no reason to lose sleep about these so-called "intangibles" because Syracuse typically does not hang around long enough for those factors to come into play.

I'll take Indiana in the Midwest right now - because that means this team advanced to the 2nd weekend and is one game away from Atlanta. If Boeheim can somehow reach the regional final with this team, you're already bucking huge odds. Every year these discussions come up as if we're always a shoe-in to make it to the Elite 8. I realize bracket speculation is part of the fun - but there's no reason to lose sleep about these so-called "intangibles" because Syracuse typically does not hang around long enough for those factors to come into play.

Looks like someone has a case of the mondays

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

old-asian-clapping.gif

That's depressing, screwed again. IU is the best offensive team in the country and IMO our worst possible matchup of the top seeds...especially with a virtual home court in Indy. Best chance to prevent this is for either Duke or Miami to beat the other twice (at Duke in reg season and then again in the ACC tourney). That would knock one of them off the #1 line. If they split they could both get #1's.

I also think if we move far enough up the 2 line we might stay in the east regardless

Looks like someone has a case of the mondays

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Although his overall point is the truth.

We will know from the first few minutes of play if our team is going to come out and play how they did against Providence or how they did against Uconn.

How consistent we are will be the difference between an exit before the sweet 16/potential final four run.

A 1 seed is definitely within reach for this team, and I think they control their own destiny for it.

Winning out would mean wins over Louisville (RPI 6), Georgetown (2x) (RPI 16), and Marquette (RPI 14). Meaning an overall RPI record of 5-0 versus the top 25, with 3 of the wins being on the road. Any additional wins over these teams in NY only adds to the case. Even dropping 1 of these games still gives us a better resume than Gonzaga.

Although his overall point is the truth.

We will know from the first few minutes of play if our team is going to come out and play how they did against Providence or how they did against Uconn.

How consistent we are will be the difference between an exit before the sweet 16/potential final four run.
We came out just fine against uconn, nova, pitt and temple. all of those games were lost in the 2nd halves.

We came out just fine against uconn, nova, pitt and temple. all of those games were lost in the 2nd halves.
and actually, since you mentioned the provy game, we came out pretty sluggish and didn't really turn it on until about 10 minutes in.
games aren't won or lost in the first few minutes of a game

and actually, since you mentioned the provy game, we came out pretty sluggish and didn't really turn it on until about 10 minutes in.
games aren't won or lost in the first few minutes of a game

Poor choice of words. Agree with what you said.

Overall point stands. Our team is capable of putting everything together (Providence) and equally capable of looking disinterested and stagnant (our hard-to-watch losses). Whatever side shows up and when will determine how far we go/how early we fall in March.

I don't think you can discount Kansas in the #1 seed (or at least #2 seed discussion) to knock off Zona or Michigan.

If a western team, Syracuse, and Two B10 teams were the 2 line, yes we would absolutely get put and Indy which is the worst scenario. But that is really the only combo of teams on the 2 line that could sting us,

But I don't know if that scenario is that likely.
- I think Zona ends up below the 2 line (it then depends where Gonzaa is)
- And the Big Ten may have a 1 seed, a 2 seed, and two 3 seeds. Michigan has a number of teams that can surpass it - Kansas, Louisville, Gtown, Zona,
- We are not far from the 1, but also not far from the 3 line either. We are in as much discussion for the 1 as the 3. If we end up in the 3.

If a western team, Syracuse, and Two B10 teams were the 2 line, yes we would absolutely get put and Indy which is the worst scenario. But that is really the only combo of teams on the 2 line that could sting us,

I wonder; only because what if we were the #5 team on the S-curve. Theoretically we'd get the best placement. But I guess the problem becomes it might be more complicated to leave us east, because then you'd need to move the western team to the midwest and move one of the big 10 teams out west, when it would probably be easier to just put us in the midwest and the b10 team in the east.

I don't think you can discount Kansas in the #1 seed (or at least #2 seed discussion) to knock off Zona or Michigan.

But I don't know if that scenario is that likely.
- I think Zona ends up below the 2 line (it then depends where Gonzaa is)
- And the Big Ten may have a 1 seed, a 2 seed, and two 3 seeds. Michigan has a number of teams that can surpass it - Kansas, Louisville, Gtown, Zona,
- We are not far from the 1, but also not far from the 3 line either. We are in as much discussion for the 1 as the 3. If we end up in the 3.
I agree with this, and I completely forget Florida who I think is WAY more likely to end a 2 seed then Arizona. I don't think Arizona is safe to even end up on the 3 line. I actually think it is better for us to be a 3 seed than 2 seed is my main point to avoid the Midwest region. If we end a 3 seed I think it is highly likely we would end up in a more favorable region.

This might be blasphemous, but after going through this quirky season I have no problem NOT being a #1 Seed.
I firmly believe that this will be the year a #1 gets knocked out, & I'd rather it not be us.
If a team is playing well, is a Top4 seed, and gets favorable match-ups, ie: Kemba/UConn- 2011, the chances of winning it all rise exponentially.
I don't think my blood pressure can handle a bad-MCW, a listless Rak, a sluggish Triche, and an "off" JS, in a UNCAsheville-like #1 vs #16 matchup.
JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom