If the ACCT held today scenarios | Syracusefan.com

If the ACCT held today scenarios

CuseLegacy

http://www.news-record.com/blogs/sports_extra/article_a433e1da-9d93-11e3-ae12-0017a43b2370.html

The ACC tournament starts in almost two weeks and several teams are jockeying for position this week.
With the arrival of three new teams, the ACC tournament expanded to a fifth day and will begin Wednesday, March 12, with the six teams lowest in the standings. Conversely, the top four seeds have byes until Friday’s games, giving those teams an extra day or two of rest heading into the weekend.

Below are some thoughts on how the seeding shakes out with the current ACC standings.
• Virginia, Syracuse, Duke and North Carolina appear to be strong favorites to lock up the top four seeds in the ACC tournament and avoid playing until Friday. Pittsburgh and Clemson are a full two games behind the fourth seed with four games to go, and UNC has the head-to-head tiebreaker on both.
• Miami, Notre Dame, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Boston College and Virginia Tech are almost locks for Wednesday’s games, which will feature the Nos. 10-15 seeds. Notre Dame is two games behind Florida State for the ninth seed and Miami is a game and a half behind Florida State with the Seminoles still on the schedule. So of that group, Miami has the best chance to move out and get a first-round bye.
• Syracuse and Duke could meet in the semifinals on Saturday as the No. 2 and 3 seeds, respectively. That would leave a potential Virginia-North Carolina matchup, as well. After the first two matchups, it would be hard to beat Duke-Syracuse in the semifinals unless ...
• North Carolina could make a nice run with the bracket constructed as it currently is. The Tar Heels' potential opponents would be Georgia Tech, Wake Forest or Pittsburgh on Friday. Saturday could feature a tough matchup against Virginia. A win against the Cavaliers, which seems more possible now than in January, would most likely pit UNC against Duke or Syracuse. From an entertainment standpoint, a Duke-Syracuse semifinal followed by a Duke-North Carolina final sounds delectable. At this point, however, any combination of the top four seeds on Sunday would make for a great ACC tournament championship game.
• N.C. State isn’t going to be a top four seed, but the Wolfpack should be able to avoid playing Wednesday, especially with Miami and Boston College on the schedule and a two-game lead on Miami.
• Virginia Tech should feel good. The Hokies would currently meet Miami in their game on Wednesday. Virginia Tech has two ACC wins this season, both against Miami.
• Wake Forest would play Georgia Tech on Wednesday. In their only meeting this season, Georgia Tech won 79-70 and Wake Forest point guard Codi Miller-McIntyre injured his ankle and missed the second half.

BhRN9C0CcAA6Nvd.png:large

Mark Thompson ‏@mthompsonNR 18h
If the ACC Tournament started today, here's how it would look. pic.twitter.com/OaaxrbbZev

Last edited:
Sign me up for Maryland again. That team has no prayer of guarding us with Grant, not much concept on how to beat the zone(they only had six two-point field goals) and Turgeon has given us bulletin board material.

BhRN9C0CcAA6Nvd.png:large

good post.
just wondering what impact the fact that syracuse/duke or duke/unc having possibly already played 3 times might have on regional seedings?

Jesus, its finally hitting me that this isnt the good old Big East tournament. I mean, look at the start times for crying out loud, there terrible. No primetime saturday game's, yes good potential match-ups but at 1 and 3 on a saturday afternoon? Time slots are atrocious. Aside from MSG putting the Big East on another level, I think they did it right with friday night semi's and a Saturday night primetime matchup. Everyone was ready for the main events, saturday afternoon and sunday afternoon games just dont get the blood flowing as much.

Jesus, its finally hitting me that this isnt the good old Big East tournament. I mean, look at the start times for crying out loud, there terrible. No primetime saturday game's, yes good potential match-ups but at 1 and 3 on a saturday afternoon? Time slots are atrocious. Aside from MSG putting the Big East on another level, I think they did it right with friday night semi's and a Saturday night primetime matchup. Everyone was ready for the main events, saturday afternoon and sunday afternoon games just dont get the blood flowing as much.

i think the acc semis will eventually be in prime time. right now the big east championship game is saturday nite, so they dont wanna have the acc semis on at the same time. but who gives a stuff about the big east anymore?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom