If you are the OC for a day.. | Syracusefan.com

If you are the OC for a day..

longislandcuse

Living Legend
How would you use our weapons? Who would you feature?

I really like our Offensive Line now that they are healthy and Miller looks like he got his first game jitters out of the way. With Hunt and our stable of backs, I would read option teams to death.

I'd feature Erv and AAM. Beat them up with AAM and then scat back them to death with Erv. We have 5 really good backs so obviously, being a running team, we also rotate in Morris and McFarlane. PTG is tricky for me because I think the other backs are better but once I start thinking that Gulley will have a great game. Good problem to have. I'd use them all in the read option but feature AAM as he will always fall forward at least for a few yards and beat up the defense and then feature Erv for his game breaking capabilities

I like Moore at TE. I'd still run some bubble screens but I'd do them quick and only to Estime and Broyld. Most routes going downfield with Broyld working the middle, Custis being a giant athletic freak needs to be used downfield and I think Ishmael is going to be big time given more and more reps. We can rotate other WRs in at times but I'd build the offense around the WR core of Estime-Broyld-Ishmael-Custis.

There's a lot of talent here. I'd like to see a few more deep throws. Custis can get jump balls and Estime/Ishmael have the speed to beat defenders. Hunt then has to hit them but if we can add that missing piece to the offense, I think we could be pretty dynamic.

Depends on the opponent. Versus Maryland, I would pick on their young secondary. We have a promising group of receivers now and I would throw the ball all over the place from the git go and I don't mean bubble screens. Hunt has shown an ability (much like Ryan) to zip the ball in over the middle and looked pretty good on wheel routes. Then, the running game should be wide open. You don't always run to throw - against a weak secondary you can throw to run.

Depends on the opponent. Versus Maryland, I would pick on their young secondary. We have a promising group of receivers now and I would throw the ball all over the place from the git go and I don't mean bubble screens. Hunt has shown an ability (much like Ryan) to zip the ball in over the middle and looked pretty good on wheel routes. Then, the running game should be wide open. You don't always run to throw - against a weak secondary you can throw to run.
I'd love to see this. I'm wondering if Hunt and our offense has the capability for a 300 yard passing game in them. If they are given the chance, I think they do.

What I absolutely loved was when they were on the 1 and did not tighten things up. 3 or so receivers and opened it up for Hunt. That is what I've wanted for years and seeing that made this fan happy as heck.

I'd like deep throws but space better than they have. Also, dumps up the middle to Morris/McFarland/Phillips when pressure happens instead of Hunt taking off all the time. I'm still not sure what to think of Custis/Ishmael or Enoicy yet but do really like what I've seen so far. Like to see Broyld catch the ball running up the middle more to get him started early as it always seems like he's stationary when he catches the ball. That said I'd like a few more catches while running instead of stationary ones but understand those bubble screens have their purpose too.

I'd stop with so many screen plays and run more. It's our strength. Our passing game is at best serviceable.

Cheers,
Neil

I'd watch the WVU game and emulate what they did, minus TO's.

I'd watch the WVU game and emulate what they did, minus TO's.

Didn't Bama have some nice punt returns vs WV as well? I think their special teams have really hurt them this year.

What I absolutely loved was when they were on the 1 and did not tighten things up. 3 or so receivers and opened it up for Hunt. That is what I've wanted for years and seeing that made this fan happy as heck.

I'd like deep throws but space better than they have. Also, dumps up the middle to Morris/McFarland/Phillips when pressure happens instead of Hunt taking off all the time. I'm still not sure what to think of Custis/Ishmael or Enoicy yet but do really like what I've seen so far. Like to see Broyld catch the ball running up the middle more to get him started early as it always seems like he's stationary when he catches the ball. That said I'd like a few more catches while running instead of stationary ones but understand those bubble screens have their purpose too.
Against the zone, Broyld's job often is to sit in the seam of the zone, which he does pretty well now. They have sent him deep several ties in the past two seasons and one one he dropped a sure TD (PSU), in another Hunt overthrew him, another Wilson overthrew him and in another he broke the wrong way. Sooner of later we are going to hit one of these and he is going to take it to the house.

Offset I,Wishbone,I,Veer use the Backs and throw the ball Long and down the middle ,tight end screen, enough east and west

Keep throwing those bubble screens like they have been , and if their secondary bites hard on it like Nova and CMU , run it off tackle for another 3oo plus yard game.

The hate for the bubble screen is justifiable in its current use but it's still a important part of the scheme. The season will hinge on how well the "wrinkles" are added and used, for example, fake bubble screen with the WR running a wheel route.

This offense could be very successful, it really all hinges on the play calling.

Install the 'whirlybird option spinner' coined I think by Joel Mareiniss as he described the Bill Hurley led Orange offense.
The throwback to the tight end.
Oh and yes the quick kick.

;)

For as big a part as the bubble screen is to our O, how in the world are we so bad at blocking for it?
In the 1st quarter you could clearly see Ashton and Steve go to block the same CMU player, and the other one flies right by them to blow up the play...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom