If you were the Coach... | Syracusefan.com

If you were the Coach...

newmexicuse

All Conference
what three changes would you make:

Mine would be:

1. Go with a big lineup w James @ the 2 if one or both of our guards are not playing well. I can't see Trevor as the answer & we have to do something different as it seems almost every game either Brandon or MCW funks out for at least part of the game.

2. Get Jerami more minutes and run more plays for him, especially posting down low.

3. More minutes for DC2 - I would play him as many minutes as his conditioning would allow. Maybe this would be a short term negative, but it will pay-off at some point down the road either (hopefully) this year or almost definitely next year.

I don't know what you do frankly if you're any coach. Besides MCW, there aren't good creators/ball handlers, shooters, post players. I think JB is trying to create ways to get them jumpshots which is all they can really do in the halfcourt w/o any post players. The problem is that we aren't good shooters. If CJ/Brandon is off then we are toast. Again, we don't know how they are executing things and developing in practice. Probably not good.

- More Coleman. He missed it but his first move was an aggressive post-move. I liked it. He was going after rebounds as well.

- James needs to make some shot fakes when he is in the middle of a zone. He is catching and just shooting even on a good challenge. Maybe he knows he still can't dribble well and that's why.

Mine would be:

1. Go with a big lineup w James @ the 2 if one or both of our guards are not playing well. I can't see Trevor as the answer & we have to do something different as it seems almost every game either Brandon or MCW funks out for at least part of the game.

2. Get Jerami more minutes and run more plays for him, especially posting down low.

3. More minutes for DC2 - I would play him as many minutes as his conditioning would allow. Maybe this would be a short term negative, but it will pay-off at some point down the road either (hopefully) this year or almost definitely next year.
we would have trouble getting the ball over half court. Have you seen southerland handle the ball? He can't. Not even a little. And playing DC2 a little won't help much next year. Improvement comes over the summer and it comes from practice. Practice, practice and more practice.

1. Teach solid m2m defense so we can mix things up
2. Develop the bench even if it costs early season wins
3. Offer more money to recruits

the teams that have been successful against us typically started out in man and then switched into zone.
just imagine if we had the same defensive flexibility to switch over to man when the zone's gettin' shredded.

sommmmewherrrre...over the rainbow...

1. Teach solid m2m defense so we can mix things up
2. Develop the bench even if it costs early season wins
3. Offer more money to recruits
On No. 3 - we are not UK, UCLA, or Baylor so let's not go down that road.

Mine would be:

Go back to DC2 and Rak as starters, quick, quick hook for the first flub and sub in Grant.

Get Southerland back to a situational player. If it's not dropping he ain't playing

More pressing and trapping, push the tempo.

1. Substitute players into the game. Head scratching substitution patterns recently.

1. Play BT at the point more and tell him to attack.

2. Give Rak a chance to get involved early in the offense. Tell him it's ok if he misses, but he better damn well be going up strong.

3. Call more plays with CJ, with the caveat that he needs to be able to make the pass out of traffic if his shot isn't there.

I wouldn't change much. Playing Southerland at the 2 doesn't make sense for reasons that have been discussed. He doesn't get back on defense as quick because he goes after the rebound by instinct as a forward and his lack of ball handling would get us pressed and would turn the ball over at a high rate. I love Grant but he can't play the middle and is not as good as CJ and we need Southerland's out siding shooting to stretch defenses. The reality is there is nothing dramatic we can change to improve the team or it would already be done. We need Christmas to be at least effective on defense and Triche to make some contribution or we cannot get past the sweet 16. MCW is not a good shooter and I'm sure it has nothing to do with coaching or his effort. He's just not good at it. This is what happens when two kids develop faster than expected (Fab and Waiters) and you lose two seniors (Joseph and Scoop) and don't have 3 top 5 recruits coming in. Things need to go your way and kids need to step up to fill the voids. CJ and MCW have but Christmas and have not.

Mine would be:

First thing I thought of after reading that

This late in the season you can't change a team...and you're not going to be able to do much to change players.
We are who we are and we have what we have.

That said...we can optimize our options.
We have to...because our offense is so limited.

I don't know why we don't run more high ball screens with Fair instead of the center...using Fair on the pick and roll.
The idea is to get Fair to the hoop or get him his mid-range jumper...Southerland on a wing if Fair needs to pass.

And as much as I like Triche I'd tell him to stop forcing alley-oops.
He's killing us with those passes to players who are covered.

1. Drop our second game of the Big East Tournament

2. Exit the NCAA's in 2nd round

3. Take keys and give to MHOP

1. Run M2M and press with a lineup of MCW, Cooney, Southy, CJ, and Grant for few minutes each half.

2. Clone CJ Fair to play him at the 3 and 4 and have backups for him at the 3 and 4.

3. Alter clones of CJ to make them excellent ball handlers and 7'2 270 and run a full lineup of CJ Fair's 1-5. Play 2-3 zone with this team.

Go back to DC2 and Rak as starters, quick, quick hook for the first flub and sub in Grant.

I would have started DC2 against Louisville. Not sure for how many minutes, but I would have given him the start.

1. Start MCW, Triche, Fair, Southerland, Rak. No more token starter nonsense, just start your 5 best like a normal team, let them get into rhythm from the jump.

2. Take Keita out of the rotation and give his minutes to DC2.

3. More rest for the starters. Frees up minutes for Grant to get into the game and prevents Triche from killing us if he stays in this funk for the rest of the year.

With that being said, our hopes rest on Triche breaking out of this. If he doesnt, game over.

1. Tell Cooney he is getting consistent time every game-Need to develop his confidence so he can be a shooter off the bench for 15 minutes a game
2. See #1
3. See #2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom