I'll say it, I'm happy for Rutgers & hope things work out for UCONN | Syracusefan.com

I'll say it, I'm happy for Rutgers & hope things work out for UCONN

OttosBestFriend

2nd String
Despite the sentiments of some in here, Syracuse's success is not dependent upon Rutgers' and UCONN's failing.

That said, I enjoyed the pseudo rivalry that arose between 'Cuse and Rutty over the last decade and am glad that their fans and alumnus will get to enjoy big time college football and basketball for years to come.

I know the Scarlet Knights may not have the same total number of fans or level of passion from alums... And they certainly don't have the tradition of Syracuse, but the fans that I've met personally have all be decent people and I'm happy for them.

That's not saying I want Rutty to win national championships and be a perennial Top-10 team - however improbably that may be. Just that I'm glad they won't be left behind.

I feel the same way about UCONN.

The Huskies have been 'Cuse's #1 basketball rival for more than 20 years and I've loved every minute of it. Games at the Dome, MSG and Hartford have been epic. I want that to continue and hope they can get the hell out of the Big Least ASAP.

These two schools' success doesn't effect ours... so long as Marrone and Boeheim (and soon Hopkins) do their jobs, 'Cuse will win more than its share of games - no matter what conference the Knights and Huskies are in.

So yes, I'll say it... I'm happy for Rutgers and am crossing my fingers for UCONN. (Louisville, Cincy, and USF too)

I think you overstate it a bit. I'm certainly not happy for Buttgers, and aside from Bees, I have probably been about as irritated with the RU fans (Al aside, of course) as anyone. Still, I expected them to eventually get grabbed up. Good for them. I'm not pissed off, and I don't hope they fail. They have never really been relevant, and now they are as relevant as Indiana or Minnesota. They will probably still fill out their OOC schedule with flotsom and jetsom as always. Of course, their conference schedule will be more challenging. Regarding the other BE teams, I don't hope they fail either. But if they slip into obscurity, it makes no difference to me. I feel no great affinity for any of them -- not UConn, not L'Ville, not Cincy, not USF, not Temple. And that was the problem with the BE right there.

I likewise do not have a problem with Rutgers avoiding the abyss. At least for now.

them both but especially Rutgers. They are in basketball, in lacrosse and I don't care what their record in football is they play shitty teams overall.

Townie upon hearing Rutgers got into the B1G