Illegal formation call | Syracusefan.com

Illegal formation call

upperdeck

Living Legend
something you see randomly called. typically you need to have your head in line with the oline. he has his feet on the 10, about 1 ft deeper than ISh on the other side.. Phillips is a yard back from that, ball is at the nine and his feet at the 10.2, barely deeper than the LT.. Phillips at the 11.. usually of the slot guy clearly shows space they dont call this. still he just needs to ask the line judge

upload_2017-10-1_9-28-14.png

compared to this play, ball at the 43. rcvr feet 41 .5 so we cant jam him. he is close to a yd behind where the top wr is lined up

upload_2017-10-1_9-34-17.png

really the intent of the rule is to make it clear who is the illegible WR on a set play.. its a pretty standard formation and the D is in press so i dont think confusion was an issue here

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-1_9-27-52.png
    upload_2017-10-1_9-27-52.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
Butler at the bottom of the screen got the penalty for us. He wasn't even close to the line of scrimmage - which he needed to be.

In the NC State example, the TE is covering the line to the bottom. The top receiver is in proper position.

there is no TE, one WR in motion one RB one QB and 2 WR wide.. you need 7 on the line so both WR have to be up

there is no TE, one WR in motion one RB one QB and 2 WR wide.. you need 7 on the line so both WR have to be up

Regardless, our guy screwed up and made a stupid mistake. Butler is usually good for 1-3 of those per game.

no doubt.. shouldnt even leave for the ref to make the decision. was he a WR in HS?

no doubt.. shouldnt even leave for the ref to make the decision. was he a WR in HS?
Not to mention, all he has to do is ask the ref and they will tell you. Happens every game I have seen...the WR motions to the ref and gets an answer. I seldom see SU's receivers do this.

Not to mention, all he has to do is ask the ref and they will tell you. Happens every game I have seen...the WR motions to the ref and gets an answer. I seldom see SU's receivers do this.

You might be right, but I know that Ish is always asking the ref.