i'm seeing us favored -1 @ minnesota | Syracusefan.com

i'm seeing us favored -1 @ minnesota

orangehomer

All American
for the inexperienced person such as myself, why in the hell is a 1-2 team favored on the road against a 3-0 team? on top of that, yukon is a pick'em at western michigan? What is going on?

From my (limited) experience and family living in the Twin Cities, Minnesota has probably the least rabid fanbase of the B1G schools. They're the only one sharing the same city and venue as an NFL team, with a RABID following. Minny is more of an afterthought in the Land of Lakes than Syracuse is in the land of the salt potato. So, there's really no home field advantage.

for the inexperienced person such as myself, why in the hell is a 1-2 team favored on the road against a 3-0 team? on top of that, yukon is a pick'em at western michigan? What is going on?

We're the Cuse man. That's why.

From my (limited) experience and family living in the Twin Cities, Minnesota has probably the least rabid fanbase of the B1G schools. They're the only one sharing the same city and venue as an NFL team, with a RABID following. Minny is more of an afterthought in the Land of Lakes than Syracuse is in the land of the salt potato. So, there's really no home field advantage.

There you go blaming the fans again!

(Just kidding)

I think that is pretty much true. Living in the Twin Cities, I have a lot of friends who are U of M grads, and while they actively pull for them, the gophers have been mediocre [at best] for a really long time, so the passion is generally not there for football.

Unfortunately, they are 3-0 [even though they haven't played anybody yet], so there is a bit more casual rooting interest than usual from the students, community, etc. And they just did a ticket sale for $10 in the top tier of TCF stadium that sold about an additional 5K of seats, so the stadium should be more full tonight than usual.

Records don't mean anything to Vegas, and Minnesota's starting QB is probably out. They just want a line that gets equal bets on both sides.

Western Michigan only lost by 5 @ Minnesota last week and are home vs UConn today.

Home team gets a 3 point swing so if it was @ UConn the line would be UConn -3. If Minnesota was @ the dome it would be Syracuse -4.

I'm fairly certain Vegas (or anyone) doesn't have a great read on any of the 4 teams you mentioned and just sets the line where they will make money. They aren't trying to accurately predict the final score at all when setting lines.

Vegas lives in the extra 10% paid on losing bets so they want equal money on both sides of the ledger. If they can get a million on one side, and a million on they other that's $100,000 gaurenteed profit.

The Gophers and the Vikings don't share the same venue.

Records don't mean anything to Vegas, and Minnesota's starting QB is probably out. They just want a line that gets equal bets on both sides.

Western Michigan only lost by 5 @ Minnesota last week and are home vs UConn today.

Home team gets a 3 point swing so if it was @ UConn the line would be UConn -3. If Minnesota was @ the dome it would be Syracuse -4.

I'm fairly certain Vegas (or anyone) doesn't have a great read on any of the 4 teams you mentioned and just sets the line where they will make money. They aren't trying to accurately predict the final score at all when setting lines.

Vegas lives in the extra 10% paid on losing bets so they want equal money on both sides of the ledger. If they can get a million on one side, and a million on they other that's $100,000 gaurenteed profit.
If minny was at the dome it would be su-7.

While I hope like hell we win tonight, I just don't see how you can justify making us a favorite on the road at a bcs team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom