Fugly

• Poll choice...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poll choice...

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Toga

Living Legend
Having watched a load of hoops from around the country the past few weeks, I'm just sick of what has come to pass for BE hoops. Bang and grab and clutch. Some have made the point that if they called everything they should - it would be foul shooting contest.

Well, F it then - make the calls cuz it currently is not recognizable as college hoops. The game the other night between Louisville and Marquette was laughable it was so absurd. It was like watching a pinball machine seeing players hitting the floor every 30 seconds and no calls. Pitt, Marquette, Georgetown. No thanks.

Having watched a load of hoops from around the country the past few weeks, I'm just sick of what has come to pass for BE hoops. Bang and grab and clutch. Some have made the point that if they called everything they should - it would be foul shooting contest.

Well, F it then - make the calls cuz it currently is not recognizable as college hoops. The game the other night between Louisville and Marquette was laughable it was so absurd. It was like watching a pinball machine seeing players hitting the floor every 30 seconds and no calls. Pitt, Marquette, Georgetown. No thanks.

I couldnt agree more. I cant wait to make the move to the ACC.

What I hate more than the general BE style of play is the style that teams have specifically adopted to play SU this year. The slow, grind out every possession, boring style of hoops. Hopefully we can meet some more uptempo teams in the NCAAs.

In the BE it is more important to do whatever you can to win than it is in the ACC. The ACC has enough hubris to stick to your game and try to make your game better than your opponents. Against Syracuse, the BE gave up their styles of play often to slow the game down vs. SU and try to make it a shortened game. It's so annoying and shows how little testicular fortitude coaches have in not letting their teams play their game.

I guess you missed the excitement in the MD vs WF game in the ACC. Maybe you blinked at the wrong time.

In the BE it is more important to do whatever you can to win than it is in the ACC. The ACC has enough hubris to stick to your game and try to make your game better than your opponents. Against Syracuse, the BE gave up their styles of play often to slow the game down vs. SU and try to make it a shortened game. It's so annoying and shows how little testicular fortitude coaches have in not letting their teams play their game.

I think that is because the ACC's 3 main programs - UNC, Duke, and NC State play up-tempo style games so the refs take control of the game more, especially when those teams play. They have their bruising teams as well, like FSU and VT it's just that they carry less weight with the refs. We will join the former grouping while Pitt will join the latter.

Cheers,
Neil

I think that is because the ACC's 3 main programs - UNC, Duke, and NC State play up-tempo style games so the refs take control of the game more, especially when those teams play. They have their bruising teams as well, like FSU and VT it's just that they carry less weight with the refs. We will join the former grouping while Pitt will join the latter.

Cheers,
Neil

If NCSU is one of the big 3 main programs God help us.

If NCSU is one of the big 3 main programs God help us.

Historically they are a Top 25 program. And with the Gottfried hire they will be back to their former glory soon.

Cheers,
Neil

Historically they are a Top 25 program. And with the Gottfried hire they will be back to their former glory soon.

Cheers,
Neil
If history stopped around 1985, then maybe you have a valid argument.

If history stopped around 1985, then maybe you have a valid argument.

History doesn't end, it's ongoing, taking in both the bad and the good from all years. I suggest any doubters google Top 50 all-time basketball programs. I think some will be surprised.

Cheers,
Neil

History doesn't end, it's ongoing, taking in both the bad and the good from all years. I suggest any doubters google Top 50 all-time basketball programs. I think some will be surprised.

Cheers,
Neil

NC State has two NCs to their credit in the last 40 years. That is undeniable. However, during that same period I think I'd give the nod to Maryland as the third best program in the ACC.

NC State has two NCs to their credit in the last 40 years. That is undeniable. However, during that same period I think I'd give the nod to Maryland as the third best program in the ACC.

It's certainly debateable. Maryland has more NCAA wins and appearances, but in addition to having 1 more championship, NC State has 5 Elite 8s whereas Maryland only has 2. I give the nod to the Wolfpack since they were 25th in overall wins coming into this season and Maryland wasn't even in the Top 50 of that category.

Cheers,
Neil

Just googled it and since 1980 Maryland is ranked 11th and NC State 26th. Maryland has been more consistent. In the 1970s and 80s Lefty Driesell's teams had Len Elmore, Buck Williams, John Lucas, Albert King, Len Bias and Adrian Branch. The 90s were a little dry until Gary Williams came along and picked it back up. Just seems like NCState hasn't done much since the Valvano era.

Since Valvano last coached in 1990 NCState has had three coaches (until Gottfried this year)- Les Robinson, Herb Sendek and Sidney Lowe. The three of them went a combined 125-199 in the ACC. That doesn't seem to be the type of record achieved by one of the top three programs in the ACC.

You will be just as tired of the BS playing against deliberate half court teams like Virginia, FSU, and Miami soon enough.

Just googled it and since 1980 Maryland is ranked 11th and NC State 26th. Maryland has been more consistent. In the 1970s and 80s Lefty Driesell's teams had Len Elmore, Buck Williams, John Lucas, Albert King, Len Bias and Adrian Branch. The 90s were a little dry until Gary Williams came along and picked it back up. Just seems like NCState hasn't done much since the Valvano era.

As usual, there you go moving the goalposts. My contention in the beginning was that NC State was the ACC's third best program of all-time. That is without question to anyone who has any knowledge of the topic.

You replied that you would choose Maryland over NC State over the past 40 years. I said that was debateable (meaning for that time frame I could understand possibly choosing the Terps over the Wolfpack), but then went back to why I believe that NC State is clearly the ACC's all-time #3 program.

Now you want to move the goalposts again to the last 30 years? :crazy:

Yes, over the past 30, over the past 20 years, over the past 10 years, Maryland has been the better program.

But when you talk with other ACC fans in a couple of years and they are telling you NC State is the 4th best program in the league (after UNC, Duke, and SU) please try to understand that for most, history means the entirety of the program, not snippets in time.

Cheers,
Neil

Since Valvano last coached in 1990 NCState has had three coaches (until Gottfried this year)- Les Robinson, Herb Sendek and Sidney Lowe. The three of them went a combined 125-199 in the ACC. That doesn't seem to be the type of record achieved by one of the top three programs in the ACC.

Omg, now it's down to 20 years?!? :bat:

Cheers,
Neil

I couldnt agree more. I cant wait to make the move to the ACC.

One downside: I hate the crowd at the ACC Tournament. I know that has nothing to do with the game on the floor. I get that. But watching the ACC Tournament (all of them, but the ACC in particular) has totally sucked.

44cuse

One downside: I hate the crowd at the ACC Tournament. I know that has nothing to do with the game on the floor. I get that. But watching the ACC Tournament (all of them, but the ACC in particular) has totally sucked.

44cuse

And watching non syracuse games in the BET hasn't sucked? Do you people realize that simply putting syracuse into the ACC tournament elevates it significantly? just imagine the BET w/o syracuse and then think of how shitty it would be to play in that bung hole of a tourney

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom