IMO...this is an indictment of the coaching staff... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

IMO...this is an indictment of the coaching staff...

clock management with 4-5 min to go and snapping early is not worth the effort. had 1 gotten 1 instead of 3 FD's no one would have cared. you cant wait to snap at one all the time. once we got down to under 2 then milking the clock was fine.

Could you imagine if Jimmy B was the football coach? He'd be playing stall ball with 10 minutes left up a touchdown :cool::p

I think the line is a huge issue, IMO. I felt like the interior guys had major problems with #97 (can't think of his name right now) and others. The tackles were OK in pass pro, but not great. This is a line that is simply not where it needs to be to consistently drive the ball down the field. Combine that with the fact that there aren't really big-time playmakers (Gulley is a nice one, Lemon is decent) and you have an offense that needs drives but has a leaky OL, which leads to inconsistency.

Also, Nassib is, like I've been saying for three years, perfectly acceptable but not "really good." He's a solid QB. But his struggles and occasional missteps don't help either. JSmith is the same type of player IMO, solid but not overwhelmingly dangerous.

Add it all up and you get an offense that can look pretty good for stretches, but also has periods of really poor play.

So what you are saying is that you want play makers at the skill positions, a great quarterback and an o-line that will give the qb time to make all the reads. Thank you, Captain Obvious. Would you like a side of fries with that or a baked potato?

So what you are saying is that you want play makers at the skill positions, a great quarterback and an o-line that will give the qb time to make all the reads. Thank you, Captain Obvious. Would you like a side of fries with that or a baked potato?

Well, I think my point was more that we're not so talented that we can overcome somewhat crappy OL play. I think we've addressed, to a large degree, issues with our system. I like, more or less, the design of the offense, which is different than how I felt last year.

So, in summary, if you have a mike vick or a total stud RB or a couple burners on the outside, you might be able to overcome a mediocre or slightly below average line. We don't, so we can't.

That's really the worst point you've read on this board?

Well, I think my point was more that we're not so talented that we can overcome somewhat crappy OL play. I think we've addressed, to a large degree, issues with our system. I like, more or less, the design of the offense, which is different than how I felt last year.

So, in summary, if you have a mike vick or a total stud RB or a couple burners on the outside, you might be able to overcome a mediocre or slightly below average line. We don't, so we can't.

That's really the worst point you've read on this board?

Meh. Other than USC, we havent played a team with more talent on offense.

This offense is light years ahead of the GROb years, and better than 2010. The biggest difference is that Carter and Williams were all-american types. Lots of offenses move the ball without such gratuitous levels of talent.

The offense is as good as Nassib plays. Last two games he has been subpar --> offense has been subpar.

Yeah, he really needs to go back and read some of my posts.

I could also read some of my own posts, especially after I have a few too many Moscow Mules and have to close one eye so I stop seeing double. ;)

The offense is as good as Nassib plays. Last two games he has been subpar --> offense has been subpar.

I agree that you don't need premium talent to move the ball. But this quote above is exactly the opposite of what I was saying, I think. Yes, Nassib is a key. But you think Nassib was the only issue or the main issue after we rushed for 120 yards on 33 carries and had some holes in pass protection? I mean, I don't think Nassib was great and we'd certainly be better with a guy like Barkley or Denard Robinson, but I really think Nassib's OK. What is hurting us is that we can't seem to impose our will on opponents up front. We're better than in previous years but still not anywhere close to "good."

Hackett said post game that they really didn't have a short yardage package until it was installed this past week.

Did they not expect third and short or goal line situations this season?

I love the spread package we run, but anyone in football knows it has a huge weakness in short yardage situations. Why was this not addressed in August?

I guess paintball was more important.

Holy crap, that is just scary.

LOL one of these days we are gonna hire a real OC, I hope its next year, this is embarassing.

LOL one of these days we are gonna hire a real OC, I hope its next year, this is embarassing.

Applewhite.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Applewhite.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Id take Johnny Appleseed at this point. 8 quarters and we have two Offensive touchdowns and our boy wonder OC just admitted we didnt have a short yardage package. What the hell are we practicing all week.

This offense is broken, yet again.

Last night reminded me of 2010. Although the style was entirely different, we had an O that was good for 1, maybe 2, scoring drives, them we hold on for dear life with D.

For the life of me I don't get it. Why is it so hard for us?

Playcalling and personnel decisions. I dont know if its Marrone or Hackett but the playcalling and decisions are absolutely mystifying. No Broyld save for what one play, you get a 6'4 WR back perfect for the redzone in Flemming and they run only handoffs when he is in the game, nothing to Stevens who the coaching staff raved about all preseason, zero shots down the field, zero trick plays, zero WR bubble/junk or jailbreak screens and horrendous use of Jerome Smith. Kid had 6 carries for 45 yards in the third quarter and were running inside handoffs to Gulley. Feed the guy the rock, christ.

Hackett said post game that they really didn't have a short yardage package until it was installed this past week.

Did they not expect third and short or goal line situations this season?

I love the spread package we run, but anyone in football knows it has a huge weakness in short yardage situations. Why was this not addressed in August?

I guess paintball was more important.

Holy crap, that is just scary.
WOW! Just flat out WOW!

Not using your best athlete and player at all in Broyld (I assume to "punish" the kid for the Mn fumble)
Paul Carcaterra asked HCDM about Ashton following the game. The (paraphrased) response was "the staff played the players that they thought gave them the best chance to win".

My read of that is that they lack confidence in Ashton at this point... especially in yesterday's game. I suspect it's a combination of the fumble and his practice performance since them.

Can someone explain why we choose not to play offensively up tempo for last two games...Ryan seemed to have performed much better in that tempo...it is almost as if we never intended for up tempo to be our offensive scheme...yet, in the first three games, we were very good offensively. Are we trying to protect the defense...bottom line is 14 pts a game will not win games down the road...

Can someone explain why we choose not to play offensively up tempo for last two games...Ryan seemed to have performed much better in that tempo...it is almost as if we never intended for up tempo to be our offensive scheme...yet, in the first three games, we were very good offensively. Are we trying to protect the defense...bottom line is 14 pts a game will not win games down the road...

Not playing up tempo? With 3-5 min left in the 4th quarter and a slim lead SU is snapping the ball for some odd reason with 20 seconds still on the playclcok!! They are playing up tempo! Trust me they are playing up tempo! The problem is unlike the first couple games they aren't getting 1st downs; hence less snaps per games as there are more 3 and outs. So they are playing up tempo but they aren't executing.

They are playing too much up tempo, especially late in games when they have the lead. It's like they ignore the clock and don't mind if they give the ball back to the other team. They did it vs Stony Brook and they got away with it. They did it vs Pitt and they got away with it. One of these weeks they will have a lead late, they won't milk the clock and use it to their advantage and they are going to needlessly give the ball back to the opponent with more time than they should and that opponent will make SU pay.

There is playing UP TEMPO but at a certain point of the game you gotta look at the situation and scoreboard and play smart. SU doesn't.