Impressions vs. Southern New Hamphire | Syracusefan.com

Impressions vs. Southern New Hamphire

SWC75

Bored Historian
(No "Upside/Downside or "Net Points" until it counts.)

I watched the game on the ACC Technical Difficulties Network via Watch ESPN. I saw enough of it to come up with these impressions:

CENTERS- Chukwu looked better. The refs seem to assume he is going to foul and just blow their whistles. But Paschal moved well and blocked 6 shots and grabbed 6 rebounds in 18 minutes, (as he should vs.this team, which had no size at all). He had a very nice back-to-the basket move to a hook shot that went in, (against a guy most of a foot shorter than him). But clearly, Sidibie is the man in the paint. He was active, well-positioned and smooth at both ends of the court. he did have five turnovers, mostly miscommunication with his new teammates. He blocked 6 shots and had 8 rebounds in 20 minutes and scored 10 points on 3 for 4 from the field and 4 for 5 from the foul line. He just looked like he knew what he was doing out there and did it with no wasted motion.

FORWARDS: Brissett dominated with 17 points and 11 rebounds. He joined his teammates in clanging jumps hots early but then calmed down, started going to the basket and alter hit a couple of threes and looked good doing it. Moyer hustled his way to 10 rebounds but shot poorly (2 for 7 and missed both threes). I think he'll be more of a "glue guy" than a scorer. Dolezai was a wonder on the press with 5 steals. He's got very quick hands attached to long arms. He could contribute more offensively, (3 shot attempts in 20 minutes) and lacks the strength to score when there is contact. He knows what is going on out there.

GUARDS: Frank Howard had a big game. He hit his first three and I didn't realize it was him. he shot poorly after that, (5 for 13) but hit 4 of 5 free throws for 15 points. He had 6 turnovers but 3 steals and 8 rebounds. He seemed like more than a "game manager". Tyus Battle was 0 for 4 from outside but 6 for 9 inside the arc and 8 for 9 from the foul line to lead the team with 20 points. He looked comfortable as the #1 option and had 5 assists to boot. he had only 1 rebounds, bringing into some question the idea of having him play small forward. Howard Washington hit three treys and scored 11 points but had only 2 assists in 25 minutes. People compare him to Tyler Ennis but he has a bit of a showman to him, with some no-look and cross-court passes. But he didn't turn the ball over.

Geno Thorpe and Braedon Bayer didn't play due to ankle injuries. Jim seemed frustrated with Geno's injury in the post game presser: it's not getting better, despite resting it. He said that x-rays and scans have shown no damage but it remains sore. he said that that was why they got another guard, (Washington). Geno has a big role to play for us this season and Bayer could make a contribution as the team's best outside shooter so I hope they will be back soon- but not too soon, against these teams.

Any assessment of this game has to acknowledge that this game was a against a Division II team that had no size whatsoever. But we looked like a good defensive team anyway. As Jim said in the presser, it wasn't just the size. We played very aggressively and were in good position. We blocked 16 shots, (sometimes more than one guy was there to block them) and 10 steals. SNHU went 10 minutes in the first half without scoring. I think with this line-up we should press for 40 minutes but there were the usual disclaimers: we don't have the depth to do that, (we never seem to), ACC guards will break the press and get easy lay-ups, the press may have looked effective but it wasn't really as good as you thought, etc...All i know is that we were doing nothing until we went to the press and then we completely took over. Offensively, I think we can be at least adequate with Battle, Brissett, Thorpe, (who scored 15.1 for USF), and whatever we can get from Sidibie, Howard, Washington and Dolezai.

Is anybody still upset that Brissett and Sidibie weren't in the top 100 when we recruited them?

Nice post. Agree with much but are you really expecting Bayer to be a contributor?

I watched the game on the ACC Technical Difficulties Network via Watch ESPN. I saw enough of it to come up with these impressions:

CENTERS- Chukwu looked better. The refs seem to assume he is going to foul and just blow their whistles. But Paschal moved well and blocked 6 shots and grabbed 6 rebounds in 18 minutes, (as he should vs.this team, which had no size at all). He had a very nice back-to-the basket move to a hook shot that went in, (against a guy most of a foot shorter than him). But clearly, Sidibie is the man in the paint. He was active, well-positioned and smooth at both ends of the court. he did have five turnovers, mostly miscommunication with his new teammates. He blocked 6 shots and had 8 rebounds in 20 minutes and scored 10 points on 3 for 4 from the field and 4 for 5 from the foul line. He just looked like he knew what he was doing out there and did it with no wasted motion.

FORWARDS: Brissett dominated with 17 points and 11 rebounds. He joined his teammates in clanging jumps hots early but then calmed down, started going to the basket and alter hit a couple of threes and looked good doing it. Moyer hustled his way to 10 rebounds but shot poorly (2 for 7 and missed both threes). I think he'll be more of a "glue guy" than a scorer. Dolezai was a wonder on the press with 5 steals. He's got very quick hands attached to long arms. He could contribute more offensively, (3 shot attempts in 20 minutes) and lacks the strength to score when there is contact. He knows what is going on out there.

GUARDS: Frank Howard had a big game. He hit his first three and I didn't realize it was him. he shot poorly after that, (5 for 13) but hit 4 of 5 free throws for 15 points. He had 6 turnovers but 3 steals and 8 rebounds. He seemed like more than a "game manager". Tyus Battle was 0 for 4 from outside but 6 for 9 inside the arc and 8 for 9 from the foul line to lead the team with 20 points. He looked comfortable as the #1 option and had 5 assists to boot. he had only 1 rebounds, bringing into some question the idea of having him play small forward. Howard Washington hit three treys and scored 11 points but had only 2 assists in 25 minutes. People compare him to Tyler Ennis but he has a bit of a showman to him, with some no-look and cross-court passes. But he didn't turn the ball over.

Geno Thorpe and Braedon Bayer didn't play due to ankle injuries. Jim seemed frustrated with Geno's injury in the post game presser: it's not getting better, despite resting it. He said that x-rays and scans have shown no damage but it remains sore. he said that that was why they got another guard, (Washington). Geno has a big role to play for us this season and Bayer could make a contribution as the team's best outside shooter so I hope they will be back soon- but not too soon, against these teams.

Any assessment of this game has to acknowledge that this game was a against a Division II team that had no size whatsoever. But we looked like a good defensive team anyway. As Jim said in the presser, it wasn't just the size. We played very aggressively and were in good position. We blocked 16 shots, (sometimes more than one guy was there to block them) and 10 steals. SNHU went 10 minutes in the first half without scoring. I think with this line-up we should press for 40 minutes but there were the usual disclaimers: we don't have the depth to do that, (we never seem to), ACC guards will break the press and get easy lay-ups, the press may have looked effective but it wasn't really as good as you thought, etc...All i know is that we were doing nothing until we went to the press and then we completely took over. Offensively, I think we can be at least adequate with Battle, Brissett, Thorpe, (who scored 15.1 for USF), and whatever we can get from Sidibie, Howard, Washington and Dolezai.

Is anybody still upset that Brissett and Sidibie weren't in the top 100 when we recruited them?

What was the spirit of the JB comment re: HW and GT (i.e. getting another guard)? Just a general statement about the want/need for guard depth in the event of injury?

We have only 9 scholarship players and he can shoot.

He won't see any meaningful time. We've had a few as 3 guards and I don't ever remember a walk on playing when it mattered except the 6 OT game. This year we have 4 guards.

Plus I'm not sure I see much in his stats at Grinnell indicating he's a great shooter, let alone the potential to be the team's best shooter

Braedon Bayer

Last edited:

Geno Thorpe and Braedon Bayer didn't play due to ankle injuries. Jim seemed frustrated with Geno's injury in the post game presser: it's not getting better, despite resting it. He said that x-rays and scans have shown no damage but it remains sore.

This is probably how JB truly feels about that! ;)

I read the game thread before watching the video. I didn't agree with many of the comments that reported that Chukwu was 'horrendous.' I thought he was 'okay' and that some of his issues could be corrected by just calming him down. In the opening minutes, it was like he just tried to do too much, and his problems are attributed to him taking huge, aggressive steps toward an opponent, rather than smaller, 'wider' steps. He can't respond laterally when his forward lunges have his feet spread so aggressively north and south, rather than east-west. I thought, after the first stint, he was better in that respect, but i was only watching casually. He's still not strong with the ball, though, and his hands should be better.

Moyer. I need to go back to look at his high school video. When we were first looking at him, i thought he was going to be a Grant Hill-type of player. I thought he was leaner and more of a finesse guy. Maybe he grew vertically, and now, also, he always seems to be 'softer' around the middle. Like others, i kinda would like to see him with a different physicality. I don't know if it's possible to get him both leaner and stronger, but it looks like the kinds of moves he relies on would be better-executed with more quickness. And he doesn't seem big enough to be a real power player. So, in between means there's a compromise. I can see him doing alright against the Sisters of the Poor for a while, but against league competition, i worry.

Battle. Also concerned about him being the feature player. My memory sucks, but i'm flashing back to Todd Burgan and Dave Johnson. Too many shots, and too much reliance on the three. It's early, though.

Marek. Will be fun to watch on defense. I'm surprised that he really is this thin, though. It's kinda like the fuzziness of that primitive euro footage we saw of him added a few pounds. In crisp amur-kin video, he's a bookmark.

Frank. Same player, better jumper. I didn't see much that gives me confidence in his playmaking and leading/directing a team. So, yeah, he's going to score more, but i'm worried he's not the guy we should really want orchestrating the offense.

Sidibe. Pretty much what i expected, having seen him only in the one all-star game. He'll be pretty good in three years.

Battle. Also concerned about him being the feature player. My memory sucks, but i'm flashing back to Todd Burgan and Dave Johnson. Too many shots, and too much reliance on the three. It's early, though.

Interesting point.

You really only need to go back one year to find a guy who didnt quite make a jump from promising frosh to feature player (lydon).

Battle is better than burgan. But burgan actually had a lot more around him the year he was the nominally featured player than battle does this year.

Dave Johnson averaged 20 points and led the team to the NCAA. It was a disappointing season but I think that was more relative than anything (dj wasn't billy Owens or D.C.)

That said I think boeheim will get an all-acc level play from battle. But he will also some 3-16 days, and Syracuse is going to get slaughtered in those games.

A little late but just a few impressions that I thought from the game:
  • Paschal's weight still an issue. When he had a mismatch opportunity, had trouble establishing position on someone more than 6 inches shorter than him... got called on that one Offensive foul but couldnt push the dude.
  • Oshea seemed more into gambling in the passing lanes vs playing in the zone... hopefully this will come with time. Seemed like he was trying too much.
  • I thought Moyer was going to be more Glue Guy than Junk Yard Dog... shooting and athleticism is something to keep an eye on.
  • Liked Marek, understood his role and didnt force anything. Was active on defense and didnt gamble.

Interesting point.

You really only need to go back one year to find a guy who didnt quite make a jump from promising frosh to feature player (lydon).

Battle is better than burgan. But burgan actually had a lot more around him the year he was the nominally featured player than battle does this year.

Dave Johnson averaged 20 points and led the team to the NCAA. It was a disappointing season but I think that was more relative than anything (dj wasn't billy Owens or D.C.)

That said I think boeheim will get an all-acc level play from battle. But he will also some 3-16 days, and Syracuse is going to get slaughtered in those games.
To clarify — i wasn't comparing Battle to Burgan/Johnson re: quality of players. Just on a vague recollection of each of them trying to/having to do too much at certain points in their careers. But, again — "vague." Everything that didn't happen within the past two hours is vague.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom