In light of everything... | Syracusefan.com

In light of everything...

Marty McFly

Resident Lurker
I have a swirl of emotions as a fan right now. Clearly a tragic event puts trivial things like sporting events way down in the pecking order, and as people have mentioned, I can't imagine what Coach is going through. It's a very tough visceral experience to be a part of a fatal accident, that most can't comprehend (me included). And as much as we would like there not to be a game tomorrow, due to these circumstances, we do.

How does everyone react? Do the players take a "win one for the gipper" attitude? How should the fans react? Is it wrong to not want to cheer as hard, after this? I have a strange guilty conscious in caring as much as I did after the Louisville game. It just feels awkward to me.

That's an okay feeling to have. While it's easy to connect with this event on some level due to Boeheim being such a massive local (and national on a smaller scale) public figure, it didn't happen to us.

But what do we do when bad things happen to individuals that we know (personally or on some lesser level)? We support them.

So I am still looking forward to the game as much as I was just after the Louisville win. I don't think that makes me or anyone a bad person. As fans I think it's probably better to cheer our a$$es off. If JB is on the sidelines tomorrow, I'm sure he'll need it.

Normally I would be super amped and excited for a game like this, but for me personally it’s hard to be excited right now. I have no idea what to expect tomorrow.

Will the team come out and play for coach or just be worn out by the whole situation. I can’t imagine it’s easy for anyone associated with the team to focus right now.

hard to believe that a 35k+ crowd could be flat but i think that's what we'll see . . .

It does feel.strange now, but for me I'd imagine that when the game tips I will be just as invested as always. Tragic events suck and they happen. All we can do is go on with our normal lives.
And that's a normal reaction. If a tragedy/death doesn't directly effect us, although there is empathy for the people involved, we go on with our daily lives.

It feels strange now but once the game tips I think it will be a normal, awesome and typical Cuse-Duke crowd