In memorian of a Soldier and Rutgers graduate | Syracusefan.com

In memorian of a Soldier and Rutgers graduate

C Bomb

Underwhelming Motivational Speaker
This August will mark the 10th year since a great individual and soldier was called home too early from this Earth. I knew him only briefly, but each year on this weekend, my thoughts turn to him and others that I knew who passed in combat. I have been hesitant to post this, but figured this year would be an appropriate time for a brief tribute.

Captain Michael Yuri Tarlavsky was the first Rutgers alumni that I knowingly met. Having not ventured far from central NY for most of my then 26 years, a Rutgers graduate or attendee was a novel thing for me. I post this on the football board mainly because of the gentle ribbing I gave him about the “TECMO bowl” like blowouts of his alma mater by Syracuse that I was accustomed to while growing up.

My unit was assigned to support his in late summer/early fall of 2002. Having been somewhat seriously injured in a training accident prior to 9/11, I had been assigned as the unit’s clerk, performing administrative functions while I rehabbed. It was in this capacity I was able to interact with him briefly on a regular basis during our time deployed.

Though I only knew him in passing, he was an individual who just exuded confidence and that you knew was just a good person and leader. While I was lower enlisted, he was quick to say hello and have a quick conversation, even with our rank differences. When I was promoted to sergeant that late fall of 2002, he went out of his way to congratulate me, truly a touching sentiment that he did not have to extend. He was just truly a great human being.

I last saw him in mid 2003, his unit having gone back to Fort Campbell, and mine to Fort Bragg. It hit me like a ton of bricks that day in August of 2004 that I logged on to my work computer and saw the announcement of his passing. I quickly thought of his wife and family what their grief must have been. Having not known him long or very well, I felt uncomfortable to extend my condolences directly to them. These ten years later, I would like to simply honor him and his service in some capacity.

Now, it is common for the board to give Rutgers University some grief, but on this weekend of remembrance, let us honor the memory of this great man, son, soldier, husband, and father. He was an exemplary representative of his university and their ROTC program. This world is a lesser place in his absence.

Attachments

• image-1886774802.jpg
    image-1886774802.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 73
Never,ever be hesitant to make a post for a great service member who gave his life for this country.

Rutgers graduate or not he gave us the ultimate sacrifice anyone who can give.

And for that I thank Rutgers as an institution for educating the finest members of society.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom