In praise of excellent sports journalism | Syracusefan.com

In praise of excellent sports journalism

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
I subscribed to The Athletic a couple weeks ago. They had an irresistible offer - $1/month for 6 months, then $7.99/month.

I have to say, it is money well spent. They have real depth of reporting, terrific articles with high levels of insight. Quite an outstanding product. Highly recommended!

I subscribed to The Athletic a couple weeks ago. They had an irresistible offer - $1/month for 6 months, then $7.99/month.

I have to say, it is money well spent. They have real depth of reporting, terrific articles with high levels of insight. Quite an outstanding product. Highly recommended!

I did it for a year and was great then the quality fluctuated for me. Sounds like it's back to where it was again.

Lots of good articles but no coverage of Syracuse sports. They need to hire a writer badly. Maybe this is where Stephen Bailey surfaces?

Lots of good articles but no coverage of Syracuse sports. They need to hire a writer badly. Maybe this is where Stephen Bailey surfaces?

You're right, not a ton of Syracuse-specific content, but I see us well represented in general ACC articles. And sports coverage of other sports (soccer, in particular) is terrific.

What happened to the syracuse guy from before?

I didn't plan on continuing beyond my $1/month subscription, but they definitely hooked me. It's not a site that I'm on every day, but they put out great articles on a wide variety of topics - from human interest stories related to sports to highly involved articles that some may find mundane but others find fascinating. For example, I read an article yesterday about the tweaks Aaron Judge made in his swing to make him the best hitter in baseball. It dug down into the minutia, but man is it enjoyable to get a peak behind the curtain and see just how much work these guys put in to become the best.

For me, they have been a great source of info on Chelsea FC. Tons of articles are being written, between Todd Boehly taking over ownership, replacing internal staff, hiring a new coach, what is the vision, etc.

Same thing with coverage of the US Men's National Team. Very good, in depth coverage.

Great stuff, way better than I can get from ESPN or most of the British tabloids.

Yea. It was great for a while when they had a dedicated Syracuse writer Matt Guttierez covering the team. But didn’t think it was worth the price after they moved him to the NFL beat last fall. I still subscribe but only because they offered me a super deal last year (like $1 a month) after I canceled. The CBB and CFB coverage and writers are really good, but since Cuse isn’t relevant anymore in basketball we don’t get much coverage.:(