In regards to today's Rob Moore article in the PS | Syracusefan.com

In regards to today's Rob Moore article in the PS

orangecuse

Hall of Fame
And being the poster child for two star recruits, etc. As he advises, SU traditionally has always been a school that has had to develop its players since it rarely has had the good fortune of consistently getting 4 and 5 star recruits. Many say that the Scouts & R!vals of the world are flawed in their ratings/system, however, if that was overwhelmingly the case, why then is Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Florida, Michigan and the likes consistently ranked so high? These schools dominate the BCS and high second tier bowl games year in and year out as well.

Though the system is far from perfect, they do appear to be quite accurate based on the results of these schools and others on the field. They are also getting further developed at these big time programs too, however, they seemingly already have an advantage prior to arrival on campus. If it didn't really matter (the ratings systems) and it was all about development, then one could certainly conclude that SU (at least in recent years) has done a relatively lousy job in that department.

I think schools currently like SU and similar have to spin it this way...for obvious reasons. At the end of the day, generally, you're always going to be able to tweak more HP out of a 12 cylinder engine than a 8 or a six, etc. Additionally, it's not like we don't want/go after these type recruits in football, but, unlike in hoops, just usually can't get them. If it really wasn't relevant, why recruit the 4 and 5 star guys to begin with? Just my $.02. :noidea:

Some would argue, The recruits get the star rankings jacked up after the Bama's, LSU's mich, OSU Offer them, in a lot of cases. As far as the SEC schools go, they get homegrown guys who are highly ranked because the south has the best fball talent in the country hands down, anybody know why!?

The star system isn't broke because 4-5 stars guys are wrong. It's because so many nr, 2 -3 star guys are way too low. The reality is if 10% of the high star guys are wrong that's probably not a bad job of identifying talent. There are probably 50x as many kids labeled 2-3 stars. If you are only off 2-3 % you still get lots of mistakes

ill take 3 star chip on your shoulder guys over 4-5 star head cases, ego maniacs everyday of the week (not saying everyone is, but you get the point) Very happy with the class.

ill take 3 star chip on your shoulder guys over 4-5 star head cases, ego maniacs everyday of the week (not saying everyone is, but you get the point) Very happy with the class.
oh, I'll take the 4 and 5 star and take my chances.

Some would argue, The recruits get the star rankings jacked up after the Bama's, LSU's mich, OSU Offer them, in a lot of cases. As far as the SEC schools go, they get homegrown guys who are highly ranked because the south has the best fball talent in the country hands down, anybody know why!?

I disagree with what "some" say, these players don't get bumped because they are offered by bama, usc, lsu, etc. they are getting these offers because for the most part they are head and shoulders better then other recruits.

I don't think skill positions are that far different in the SEC vs other conferences. Where the SEC is utterly dominant is in the trenches. There are a few exceptions with obvious talent but outside a select few players at WR and RB each year most have similar physical skills.

For fun, here's how the top 10 WR's (yardage wise) from last season were rated on sco*t when recruited.

Terrence Williams 2* WR 262
Marqise Lee 4* Safety 3
Stedman Bailey 3* WR 64
DeAndre Hopkins 4* CB 13
Quinton Patton 3* WR JUCO
Austin Hill 3* WR 76
Cobi Hamilton 3* WR 108
Jordan Matthews 2* WR NR
Davante Adams 2* WR NR
Noel Grigsby 2* WR NR

I disagree with what "some" say, these players don't get bumped because they are offered by bama, usc, lsu, etc. they are getting these offers because for the most part they are head and shoulders better then other recruits.

I agree completely with your post. I'm sure there may be a recruit or two that gets bumped up, but it's probably from a 4 to a 5, as these schools aren't primarily going after the 2 & 3 star kids. I would bet and feel quite confident that the statistics just don't heavily support that train of thought or theory.

oh, I'll take the 4 and 5 star and take my chances.

Me too. And, along with all them 4 star kids, the chip that comes on their shoulders for not being a 5 star. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom