In retrospect | Syracusefan.com

In retrospect

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan

How did you feel about this incident then?

Knowing Calapari a whole lot better how do you feel about it now?

I dont recall seeing this when it first happened, but when I first saw it on youtube I thought "Chaney is one bad ass dude"

I feel like it had something to do with officiating and Cal manipulating the refs according to Chaney. That is just my memory. I didn't see the game but do remember seeing the highlight.

Cheney had issues with other teams/coaches as well in those days. I remember he really bashed the Michigan players and Steve Fisher during the Fab 5 era after an NCAA loss to them. Didn't like their antics...but of course, neither did a lot of people at the time.

IIRC, thought Cal accused them of using designated thugs to hammer his players. If that is correct, I'm on Cals side.

I think this is a version from the pro Cal perspective. Incidentally the Chaney using thugs incident was between him and Phil Martelli of St. Joe's I believe. The article references the incident where a Temple player was inserted gave a hard foul and injured a St. Joe's player.

Memphis Commercial Appeal

Another version...

Chaney's dispute with Calipari on Sunday centered on his belief that Calipari tried to intimidate referees during and after the game.

Someone reportedly told Chaney that Calipari spoke with officials and Bertovich after the game about officiating. A furious Chaney, who minutes earlier had praised the Massachusetts team, told Calipari he had no business talking to officials in his absence and said "I'll kill you" and "I'll kick your (butt)."

Bertovich said Tuesday he was speaking privately with Calipari after the game when a game official left a nearby locker room.

In a conversation that lasted less than a minute, Calipari made a comment to the official and the official responded but "voices were never raised," Bertovich said in a statement Tuesday.

"I reminded both parties that situations such as this should be handled in accordance with conference policies," Bertovich said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom