In the last 3:41 of the game | Syracusefan.com

In the last 3:41 of the game

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
After Fair made 1-2 Ft's (again, not converting layups on the break) to put us up 59-57, the rest of our game went as follows:

- Off a grant block, Ennis missed runner on a wide open take to the hoop
- Run out for NcSt, foul on Cooney leading to 2 ft's (4 pt swing)
- Fair charge
- Bank 3
- Grant jumper
- Warren jumper (64-61)
- Ennis charge
- Grant steal leading to a Ennis missed layup
- Gbinije layup after a Barber missed layup ( :27sec)
- Two Warren ft's (how did we let him get the ball again?)
- Last :20sec, Ennis missed runner, Grant missed dunk, Ennis missed 3, Cooney missed 3, Fair missed 3, Cooney missed 3.
- Ball game.

2-10 Fg
2 charges

You cannot write a better script for the last month. I can't even help but laugh. How many 4 points swings did we allow yesterday?

Last edited:
Thought Ennis did a poor job on both of those breaks. He had Grant for an easy dunk on the 1st one and then he gave CJ the ball too early (on the right side) to convert without a dribble. If he gave both guys another step, it's a catch and dunk for both.

Ennis missing that shot in transition when we finally got the lead was huge. I didn't like the shot he took and it led to the foul on the other end.

Still don't know how Grant missed that put back dunk. Normally that is a gimme for him.

After Fair made 1-2 Ft's (again, not converting layups on the break) to put us up 59-57, the rest of our game went as follows:

- Off a grant block, Ennis missed runner on a wide open take to the hoop
- Run out for NcSt, foul on Cooney leading to 2 ft's (4 pt swing)
- Fair charge
- Bank 3
- Grant jumper
- Warren jumper (64-61)
- Ennis charge
- Grant steal leading to a Ennis missed layup
- Gbinije layup after a Barber missed layup :)27sec)
- Two Warren ft's (how did we let him get the ball again?)
- Last :20sec, Ennis missed runner, Grant missed dunk, Ennis missed 3, Cooney missed 3, Fair missed 3, Cooney missed 3.
- Ball game.

2-10 Fg
2 charges

You cannot write a better script for the last month. I can't even help but laugh. How many 4 points swings did we allow yesterday?

At one point this season we played with perfect poise in the closing minutes of seemingly every game. It was a trojan horse with a stink bomb inside.

That might've been the worst ending I've ever seen from a HOF coached team. 24.6 seconds to go, down 3 with the ball shouldn't play out like that did.

That might've been the worst ending I've ever seen from a HOF coached team. 24.6 seconds to go, down 3 with the ball shouldn't play out like that did.
And we had 3 timeouts left. Why didn't JB call one and setup a play?

Agree. When exactly does he call it other than maybe when Rak gets the ball before passing to Cooney in the corner? The original idea was fine- Ennis got a good look, Grant had a chance at the follow with around 15 seconds left.

We probably got better looks in a "scramble" situation like that than we would have gotten out of a TO.

We usually get a basket after a JB TO to set up a play. Regardless of that, I don't consider down 3 with the ball and 24+ seconds on the clock a scramble situation. With that much time you can actually get 2 or 3 quality possessions to make plays.

We usually get a basket after a JB TO to set up a play. Regardless of that, I don't consider down 3 with the ball and 24+ seconds on the clock a scramble situation. .

I disagree with the first point.

After the missed Grant dunk, it certainly was a "scramble" situation, regardless of the remaining time,

We probably got better looks in a "scramble" situation like that than we would have gotten out of a TO.
Scramble is right. Other than the missed dunk, did we get one quality shot off?

I think the only decent reliably makeable shot we've taken in the last month is a wide open breakaway layup. Every other shot we attempt has about a 35% chance of going in.

And I don't agree that we have been taking bad shots (the end of yesterday's game aside). We take a few, but not any more and probably less than our defense allows the opposition. We just can't make an open shot consistently.

Shooting the basketball accurately in college has become a rare commodity. I posted an article a couple of weeks ago showing stats for shooting percentages over the past couple of decades. Shooting percentages have been going steadily down. Guys like McDermott and Warren are rare.

IMO, Ennis doesn't run the break particularly well.
And he still misses way too many layups and bunnies. He needs to get stronger. If he can't finish consistently in college, how would he do in the League? The one exception recently was the FSU game. A year in the weight room would do wonders but he'll never be a great finisher because he doesn't play above the rim.

Ennis missing that shot in transition when we finally got the lead was huge. I didn't like the shot he took and it led to the foul on the other end.

Still don't know how Grant missed that put back dunk. Normally that is a gimme for him.

Couldn't agree more, that was the biggest play in the game, if we get a basket there, Nc state is probably thinking here we go again, and fold..

agree but you left out two other criticle plays when baye got an o reb and passed it directly to an ncs player for a breakout and I believe it was cj who threw a duck crosscourt that led to a fast break. can't remember time left when these 2 plays occured but I'm thinking late in second half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom