Incredible stat on SportsCenter | Syracusefan.com

Incredible stat on SportsCenter

To add another, I believe we had trailed for 6:57 seconds in the tournament. Not today, not this week, in the entire tournament.

Note: this is going off memory added to the time we trailed today, so it may not be exact, but it's pretty close, and frankly amazing that we have played 160 minutes, and trailed for less than 10 minutes.

Simply amazing.

To add another, I believe we had trailed for 6:57 seconds in the tournament. Not today, not this week, in the entire tournament.

Note: this is going off memory added to the time we trailed today, so it may not be exact, but it's pretty close, and frankly amazing that we have played 160 minutes, and trailed for less than 10 minutes.

Simply amazing.
I think it's less than that to be honest (seems like it at least). We were down 2-0 to IU and 3-0 to MU, other than that we haven't trailed or been tied this whole tournament.

We haven't trailed or been tied past the 16min TO of the 1st half yet.

I tried saying the defense against IU was simply amazing, for who it was against, and yet many on here poo pooed my thread. I don't get this place sometimes. Glad to see folks suddenly are jumping on the defensive bandwagon, although to be fair this was Marquette and they shot horribly even when open.

Kenny Smith blames it on blind opponents and a pink elephant. And he's probably paid over a million dollars for that insight.

Did you see Gottleib's face when Kenny Smith provided that valuable analysis? You could tell he was not in agreement. It was pretty funny.

Also saw another stat last night on SportsCenter - we've also held teams to the lowest total points through the first 4 games of the tourney since they expanded to 64 teams (beating out I think it was both Villanova and Georgetown back in the 80's).

AND - Since the shot clock was introducted in 1986, no team had ever scored fewer than 45 points in an Elite Eight game until last night, and tied for fewest ever in Elite 8 game since 1951

Also saw another stat last night on SportsCenter - we've also held teams to the lowest total points through the first 4 games of the tourney since they expanded to 64 teams (beating out I think it was both Villanova and Georgetown back in the 80's).

AND - Since the shot clock was introducted in 1986, no team had ever scored fewer than 45 points in an Elite Eight game until last night, and tied for fewest ever in Elite 8 game since 1951
To add to that, (might be slightly less impressive)--Marquette, Indiana and Montana all had season-low FG% against us. But according to Kenny Smith, that's just because everyone misses open shots against us.

To add to that, (might be slightly less impressive)--Marquette, Indiana and Montana all had season-low FG% against us. But according to Kenny Smith, that's just because everyone misses open shots against us.

Hmm, but that couldn't be because the only open shots they is a result of our defense is forcing teams to take the shots they don't want to take, could it?
Gardner was hitting his open shots in the first half yesterday until we stopped letting him get those open shots in the 2nd half

cbs crew just plain sucks-ignorance is the rule of thumb( real rule of thumb was you couldnt beat your wife with a stick bigger in diameter than your thumb)

listening to fat chucky try to comment is like listening to a 3 year old with ADD and a mouth full of marbles-man i wish i had a stick

These are the stats of an absolutely dominant defense. It will be a huge focus of national attention this coming week. ESPN will dissect the numbers, look at historically, wonder why more teams don't try it, etc.

Hopefully, it will have an increasingly negative psychological effect on other teams.

But...I do think this can be over played, too. There is a point of diminishing returns.

I think it's less than that to be honest (seems like it at least). We were down 2-0 to IU and 3-0 to MU, other than that we haven't trailed or been tied this whole tournament.

We haven't trailed or been tied past the 16min TO of the 1st half yet.

Yeah I've been thinking about this, guess I need to look it up now. Against Indiana, we trailed for 2:25, Marquette 1:55. So 4:20 the entire tournament.

Also was thinking not just that we have lead the whole way, but pretty comfortably. For example. if you use the 16 minute mark of the first half, there have been 144 minutes in the tournament. We have had a lead of 3 possessions or more (so 7 points or more) for 121 minutes and 57 seconds of those 144 minutes (might be off by a little, I did it all by hand)

Also, on the defense, I believe we were 15th or so coming into the tournament on Pomeroy's adjusted defensive #'s. We're 6th now. To move up that many spots this late in the season is amazing.

Did you see Gottleib's face when Kenny Smith provided that valuable analysis? You could tell he was not in agreement. It was pretty funny.

Ha. I know. Gottlieb is a douche yes but he REALLY knows his s*%t about hoops. He must loathe having to be on that panel with those dummies. Maybe not Anthony but having Kenny and Charles talk about college hoops is an epic fail.

Try this:

In the four games of this tourney, teams against us are shooting:

From three: 14-91, or 15.4%

Overall: 61-211, or 28.9%

Maybe even more amazing: Wisconsin hit 14 threes against us in a single game last year in the Sweet 16. The same number we have given up in all 4 games so far this year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom