Instructional Design, Development and Evaluation | Syracusefan.com

Instructional Design, Development and Evaluation

SWC75

Bored Historian
I noticed at the senior day ceremony that DaJuan Coleman, John Gillon and Andrew White were all working toward master's degrees in the same subject: Instructional Design Development and Evaluation. It seemed quite a coincidence. I decided to look that up to see what it meant:

Instructional Design, Development and Evaluation - School of Education - Syracuse University

"The Masters of Science in IDD&E provides students with the opportunity to develop competencies to design, create, implement, and evaluate non-technology and technology-supported instructional solutions for a variety of educational and professional settings. "

I still don't know what that means. Is this what they will be doing when they aren't playing basketball? Will this be a career for them after basketball?

I found this section on the program on Syracuse's website which lists possible career paths from the degree.

I'm working towards becoming a School Psychologist myself (another program that tends to be put into schools of education) and even I'm a bit confused about what the program really entails. My understanding is this: It leads to developing educational programs and helping other professionals in schools to implement either (a) training programs you've invented or (b) training programs that have already been invented and are established to work. Training programs here mainly means interventions, such as flashcard learning for children struggling with a subject. It gets more complex than that (specifically for children with ADHD, Autism, etc.), but the gist of it is finding a proposed solution to common problems in schools.

That being said, it seems unlikely to me that 3 players on our basketball team are all interested in pursuing this as a career. What is more likely is that this is a masters program that isn't readily available at every school (which makes it great for getting transfer students) and that it doesn't require an exorbitant amount of work from the students. This is all conjecture from me though, this is a really interesting discovery.

They have instructional designers at the insurance company I work for. It is a very real career. They essentially evaluate the best way to train certain material and then develop the training.

I've always wanted to know what Rhetorical Studies is?

But I guess that's a rhetorical question. :p

That would be Rhetorical Studies in the College of Visual and Performing Arts, which is what Paschal Chukwu and Tyler Lydon are taking.

There's also the David Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, where Frank Howard, Tyler Roberson and Taurean Thompson are enrolled.

Tyus Battle is enrolled in the School of Information Studies.

I noticed at the senior day ceremony that DaJuan Coleman, John Gillon and Andrew White were all working toward master's degrees in the same subject: Instructional Design Development and Evaluation. It seemed quite a coincidence. I decided to look that up to see what it meant:

Instructional Design, Development and Evaluation - School of Education - Syracuse University

"The Masters of Science in IDD&E provides students with the opportunity to develop competencies to design, create, implement, and evaluate non-technology and technology-supported instructional solutions for a variety of educational and professional settings. "

I still don't know what that means. Is this what they will be doing when they aren't playing basketball? Will this be a career for them after basketball?

I appreciate your keen eye about such things. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who cares about such patterns. With the confusing name aside, I suppose it's safe enough to at least wonder if it's one of the less taxing graduate degrees on the hill for busy student athletes to obtain? Though I suppose it may not be safe to suppose anything on here. All three seem like great kids, and I'm glad you decided to look it up. Sometimes I find the wording on resumes, LinkedIn, facebook, etc used to describe jobs as humorous. Then again I find certain names or words in general humorous, so I am not sure how much that means.

It's a hot career path IMO as we transition away from our ivory tower educational infrastructure into more decentralized virtual platforms.

Often times collegiate athletes excel in sales & biz dev roles, this is a growing segment of education. Could be just another 'communications' degree but it sounds better anyway.

Instructional design is legitimate. It's actually a really cool job if you can get it. I actually wish I had one or two on my staff.

I wouldn't say it's an easy thing to get a master's in, but it is the kind of thing that I think anyone willing to apply themselves could earn a master's degree in. That's not necessarily true for other disciplines.

FWIW, when I heard that about Coleman I thought it was cool.

It means that he will design classroom based, instructor led training. And that he will also design training modules that will be delivered via LMS [i.e., online / non-instructor led training].

It means that he will design classroom based, instructor led training. And that he will also design training modules that will be delivered via LMS [i.e., online / non-instructor led training].

You summed that up better than I did earlier in the thread. It definitely is a legitimate degree program.

Can we get Andrew White to design a course on how to stroke a three-point jumpshot before he leaves? And while we're at it, have Gillon create an instructional video on hitting a buzzer beater.

Yeah, that really cuts through the crap, RF. Nice job.

That would be Rhetorical Studies in the College of Visual and Performing Arts, which is what Paschal Chukwu and Tyler Lydon are taking.

There's also the David Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, where Frank Howard, Tyler Roberson and Taurean Thompson are enrolled.

Tyus Battle is enrolled in the School of Information Studies.
Aren't most of the Duke players in the school of Visual and Performance Arts? They have level 400 classes on drawing charges and flopping. They get graded on how well their performances influences' the refs. This way they can say they take their studies on the road with them.

Aren't most of the Duke players in the school of Visual and Performance Arts? They have level 400 classes on drawing charges and flopping. They get graded on how well their performances influences' the refs. This way they can say they take their studies on the road with them.
Unit 1 - How to look like you were dropped by a sniper

Sounds like a BS degree, rather than a Masters.

Sounds like a BS degree, rather than a Masters.
It is pretty specialized.

The Masters would separate the cream that really want to do it.

I think its the study for developing content for websites like this:

Khan Academy

It's very important these days to offer a masters degree most colleges do not offer. How else will be get graduate transfers!

I found this section on the program on Syracuse's website which lists possible career paths from the degree.

I'm working towards becoming a School Psychologist myself (another program that tends to be put into schools of education) and even I'm a bit confused about what the program really entails. My understanding is this: It leads to developing educational programs and helping other professionals in schools to implement either (a) training programs you've invented or (b) training programs that have already been invented and are established to work. Training programs here mainly means interventions, such as flashcard learning for children struggling with a subject. It gets more complex than that (specifically for children with ADHD, Autism, etc.), but the gist of it is finding a proposed solution to common problems in schools.

That being said, it seems unlikely to me that 3 players on our basketball team are all interested in pursuing this as a career. What is more likely is that this is a masters program that isn't readily available at every school (which makes it great for getting transfer students) and that it doesn't require an exorbitant amount of work from the students. This is all conjecture from me though, this is a really interesting discovery.

You hit the nail on your head with the last paragraph. It's a two-fer: something just specifically-tailored enough that a prospective graduate transfer won't find it at another power school, and something with enough independent coursework that a kid who wants to get by won't upset Boeheim by creating any conflicts with practice and workouts.

For a time, I had a corporate training responsibility.

What was taught and how effectively it was taught was a huge challenge for us. It affected the factory floor, the technicians that serviced our equipment, the analysts that supported it and the sales people, who were supposed to be experts.

We spent a bunch of money on training and not all of it was well spent because of weaknesses in training design and in our ability to understand just what had been learned.

So the value of this degree goes beyond Education. And it's not "basket weaving". The subject matter is pretty difficult.

All of the women players also are getting their master's degree in it also. Same with those 5 women who graduated last year with master's degrees. I will also say that Deborah Little also received her master's degree last year in the same area. So it is very real. I think it has to do with the implementation and design of educational materials in an area that goes beyond the traditional classroom day to day books and lectures. For athletes, I also thought it may help to lead to working with other athletes in the future in an academic or even sports instructional capacity. Could be a good degree for a coach to have, for ex.

For a time, I had a corporate training responsibility.

What was taught and how effectively it was taught was a huge challenge for us. It affected the factory floor, the technicians that serviced our equipment, the analysts that supported it and the sales people, who were supposed to be experts.

We spent a bunch of money on training and not all of it was well spent because of weaknesses in training design and in our ability to understand just what had been learned.

So the value of this degree goes beyond Education. And it's not "basket weaving". The subject matter is pretty difficult.
Measuring training effectiveness is one of the bigger practical challenges in business these days.