Interesting article on FT shooting | Syracusefan.com

Interesting article on FT shooting

Wow. Steve Nash's motions from start to finish are EXACTLY the motions I taught my kids and have been trying to teach my granddaughter. I was never a great free throw shooter because my regular playing days were over when I learned the motions and I seldom had a chance to practice. If you have a kid who plays basketball, this video is a MUST.

Bill Sharmon on Free throws then go from there,
I have never seen such lousy free throw shooting in the last 5 years ,no intermediate Game Just keep throwing up 3s...and dunks,
I like the Guys who shoot 45 % from the 3 point Arc and beyond and 60% from the foul line Huh!. Mind Boggling, ever notice how a lot of FT shooters do all the technique then just throw the ball up at the rim. Some look at their feet more than the rim! Where is the concentration on the Just over the front rim or aim for the back of the rim school.?
I agree with Jimmy Lee for one.
If you make the 1st one don't do the hand clap deal with teammates and the clean sneaker routine don't mess with with your routine/timing.Rhythm,consistency and concentration are 3 key elements If you miss it get off the line and reset, if not stay where you are. What really frosts me (In the last few years) is the Guy makes the 1st one and miss's the 2nd Huh? Whew ! I'm over

Last edited:
biggest key to free throws it shoot them on line.. If you watch Girard he is almost always dead on with his misses..

was always taught never move off the line make or miss.. if you do you will never be able to adjust.

Set your toe, get the ball, and then its all what ever routine makes you best.

Bill Sharmon on Free throws then go from there,
I have never seen such lousy free throw shooting in the last 5 years ,no intermediate Game Just keep throwing up 3s...and dunks,
I like the Guys who shoot 45 % from the 3 point Arc and beyond and 60% from the foul line Huh!. Mind Boggling, ever notice how a lot of FT shooters do all the technique then just throw the ball up at the rim. Some look at their feet more than the rim! Where is the concentration on the Just over the front rim or aim for the back of the rim school.?
I agree with Jimmy Lee for one.
If you make the 1st one don't do the hand clap deal with teammates and the clean sneaker routine don't mess with with your routine/timing.Rhythm,consistency and concentration are 3 key elements If you miss it get off the line and reset, if not stay where you are. What really frosts me (In the last few years) is the Guy makes the 1st one and miss's the 2nd Huh? Whew ! I'm over
Overall FT percentage in men's D1 basketball actually hit an all-time high in 2018 (71.3%), and it has historically remained in the 67-70% range since the early 1960s.

2019-03-31 14.53.08.png

more evidence of teams not dumping it down to big lugs
Perhaps, but then you'd suspect FT attempts per game might be declining since jumpshooters theoretically aren't going to be fouled as often. But FT attempts have been pretty flat since 2003.

Perhaps, but then you'd suspect FT attempts per game might be declining since jumpshooters theoretically aren't going to be fouled as often. But FT attempts have been pretty flat since 2003.
teams get the big guys out of the way for guards to attack the basket and get fouled, maybe? not sure

biggest key to free throws it shoot them on line.. If you watch Girard he is almost always dead on with his misses..

was always taught never move off the line make or miss.. if you do you will never be able to adjust.

Set your toe, get the ball, and then its all what ever routine makes you best.

My old physics teacher taught me when I was in high school that every court has a little notch on the free throw line that is smack dab in the center lined up with the hoop, so if you're right handed and shoot over your right eye, you want to basically line up your foot with that notch. If you're right-handed and shoot over the middle of your head (this is more common with people that are right handed but either left-eye dominant or a blend of the two), you'd want your right foot slightly off to the right of the notch.

I stopped playing competitively after high school but I definitely shot somewhere between 80-90% from the FT line and I think that trick was at least one part of why.

in the uconn womens game yesterday the Lou. girl was shooting from way offset spot on the line. never seen one shoot that far off center before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom