Interesting ESPN... | Syracusefan.com

Interesting ESPN...

I was just about to post that myself. At what point does ND just send up the white flag and make the move?

Good article. Logical assessment. Interesting that they gave the death cage match victory to uconn over buttgers.

I was just about to post that myself. At what point does ND just send up the white flag and make the move?

That guy was talking in pretty absolute terms, almost that it's a foregone conclusion. If it were up to me I would let ND have their NBC deal until it runs out and then bring them in a equal partners. Then make a brief run at Penn State by running the numbers of a conference that actually could come close to owning NYC, let Nancy Cantor build an ACC equivalent of the CIC, and if/when that fails - let UConn and Rutgers literally fight to the death. Rutgers University at Storrs has a weird ring to it.

This...

North: Notre Dame, Pitt, Syracuse, UConn, Maryland, Boston College, Virginia and Virgina Tech.

...gives me wood.

Is that guy really a professional sports writer? He's in the tank for ND.

what a ridiculous end to a column. Syracuse "panicked" and made life more difficult for ND. If anything the move allowed the ACC to force upon ND panic and unsavory options in their myopic view of college football surrounding them only. The walls are closing in on ND.

Me too but me thinks that UVA would stick it out in the southern conference and the more "northern leaning" Miami would join the North. That would be essentially the Big East reformed.

Agree that UVA would want to be South. As would VT and MD. I could see Miami/Wake in the North and MD/UVA in the South. That would be 7 former BE teams in the North plus Wake, who no one cares if they are unhappy. The South would be the old ACC. VT would be pissed but to hell with them.

Agree that UVA would want to be South. As would VT and MD. I could see Miami/Wake in the North and MD/UVA in the South. That would be 7 former BE teams in the North plus Wake, who no one cares if they are unhappy. The South would be the old ACC. VT would be pissed but to hell with them.

That would be great...

That would be great...

Actually that wouldn't work. Wasn't thinking straight. We 8 team divisions you need to keep yearly rivalries together. So Miami would have to be in the South. UVA and VT would have to be together so UVA needs to be in the North. Which means MD to the North as well. I think a true N-S split in FB would be fine. BBall you could break the N into 2 and same with the S. I know Coach K dislikes pods but it makes the most sense by far. He wanted to play S teams twice and only half the N teams each year. That wouldn't work because MD is NOT gonna like playing Duke only twice in 4 years vs the twice a year they do now. MD will go running to the B1G if that happened.

BBall you could break the N into 2 and same with the S.

I think with basketball they will do it the way the BE does it now with made-for-tv uneven matchups to maximize the value of the tv money. Syracuse, Pitt, UNC, Duke, Maryland and ND and UConn? must play each other at least once a year. You can't accomplish that if you break into divisions or pods.

Actually that wouldn't work. Wasn't thinking straight. We 8 team divisions you need to keep yearly rivalries together. So Miami would have to be in the South. UVA and VT would have to be together so UVA needs to be in the North. Which means MD to the North as well. I think a true N-S split in FB would be fine. BBall you could break the N into 2 and same with the S. I know Coach K dislikes pods but it makes the most sense by far. He wanted to play S teams twice and only half the N teams each year. That wouldn't work because MD is NOT gonna like playing Duke only twice in 4 years vs the twice a year they do now. MD will go running to the B1G if that happened.
So can't you just designate certain crossover games each year in FB? That would guarantee Miami-FSU and Vt-UVa if you wanted to separate them.

In football, you could make divisional games mandatory and crossover games optional. You would have some TV contract and tie-breaking incentives for playing crossover games. If ND only wants to play their divisional games the you could let them, with the only penalty being that they will always lose that tiebreaker. All teams could then negotiate their own extra-divisional schedule, at least to some extent.

In basketball, the home-and-home divisional schedule coiuld also be the regular season. In addition, you could also have a preseason N-S challenge series which is largely meaningless conference standingswise, except maybe as a divisional tiebreaker. The N-S schedule could be designed to maintain traditional rivalries and generate attractive TV matchups without worrying very much about whether or not it is fair. There would also be at least one N-S matchup for each team in the first round of the ACC tournament.

Anyway, how often is MD going to play Duke if they jump to the B1G?

So can't you just designate certain crossover games each year in FB? That would guarantee Miami-FSU and Vt-UVa if you wanted to separate them.

If you play 7 division games and 1 cross over then you play the other 7 teams once in 7 years. That would suck. Even if you go to 10 conf games it is twice in 7 years. Still sucks. Without the cross over you can play teams 1 in 4 years with a 9 game schedule. Much better. Using what Coach K wants this is the best I can come up with

Atlantic- ND, Clemson, GA Tech, Pitt, SU, BC, UConn, Wake
Coastal- FSU, Miami, VT, UNC, UVA, MD, NC St, Duke

That should keep everyone happy in both sports. FB play divisions teams once (7 games) then rotate 2 games vs the other division. So you play teams once every four years, and one in 8 at home. BBall play division mates twice a year and 4 teams vs the other division on a rotating basis. So those teams we play every other year and at home one in 4 years.

I much prefer the pod system for both FB and BBall. By doing that you play every team in BBall once and your 3 pod mates twice a year. In FB you play your 3 pod mates every year, 3 cross over rivals every year, and then rotate the other 9 teams. That means the teams you rotate against you play one in three years, home one in six.

North Pod- ND, Pitt, BC, Wake
South Pod- FSU, UNC, NC St, Duke
East Pod- Miami, VT, SU, UConn
West Pod- Clemson, GA Tech, UVA, MD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online