Interesting Factoid... | Syracusefan.com

Interesting Factoid...

bpo57

Living Legend
Last night was the most fouls called on one team in the NCAA tournament in the last three years.

This team averaged 15 per game for the season, with a high of 23 against Albany and 21 against Notre Dame. So this game was 14 above the season average. In the tourney to this point SU had been called for 47 fouls, or 15.6 fouls per game, roughly our season average. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but this game is the outlier of our entire season.

Who knows if reffing made a difference in this game. I think it did, but you can't ever know for sure, there are too many variables. With that said, it definitely changed the way SU played the game and kept valuable personnel off the court for long periods of time.

You can also say that if we made more bunnies, we would have won, but the two arguments aren't mutually exclusive in my mind. Biggest factor to me in this game as it was played, was not having Fab in the middle. He would have pushed Sullinger out more, and not given ground. There's a huge difference between Sully going against a 215 lb sophomore or a 230 lb freshman OR a 270 lb sophomore defensive player of the year. That right there would have changed the entire complexion of the game. Ah, what if, what if...

It just kills me that we will never know.....

The refs destroyed that game. They took a game that could have been a masterpiece, poured gasoline on it and lit it on fire.

Both teams came ready to play and the refs refused to let that happen.

This team averaged 15 per game for the season, with a high of 23 against Albany and 21 against Notre Dame. So this game was 14 above the season average. In the tourney to this point SU had been called for 47 fouls, or 15.6 fouls per game, roughly our season average. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but this game is the outlier of our entire season.

Who knows if reffing made a difference in this game. I think it did, but you can't ever know for sure, there are too many variables. With that said, it definitely changed the way SU played the game and kept valuable personnel off the court for long periods of time.

You can also say that if we made more bunnies, we would have won, but the two arguments aren't mutually exclusive in my mind. Biggest factor to me in this game as it was played, was not having Fab in the middle. He would have pushed Sullinger out more, and not given ground. There's a huge difference between Sully going against a 215 lb sophomore or a 230 lb freshman OR a 270 lb sophomore defensive player of the year. That right there would have changed the entire complexion of the game. Ah, what if, what if...

With the way this game was called, I'm not sure that even Fab would have made adifference. They were calling fouls on absolutely anyone that stepped any where near Sullinger. And they refused to call anything on him at the other end.

It just kills me that we will never know.....

The refs destroyed that game. They took a game that could have been a masterpiece, poured gasoline on it and lit it on fire.

Both teams came ready to play and the refs refused to let that happen.
Exactly. Both teams played four months to get in this position and suddenly they find themselves in a game that's being called like nothing they've seen before (or should have ever reasonably expected to see). That was just a shameful 40 minutes of officiating and it cheated the game of college basketball.

I was big this whole tourney on saying losing Melo on offense wouldn't be a big deal; but it was last night. The way the refs were calling it, we could have feed Melo in the post in the 2nd half and he could have gotten to the line almost time he touched or (or bowled over Sullinger and got a layup)

what is the record for most regulation FT attempts by one team in the E8?

You don't have to go as far as to say that the refereeing cost us the game, to say that the refereeing certainly made a difference in the game. All of the fouls changed the pace, changed the rotations, changed the mindset of the players in how they played the game.

Southerland had 5 fouls in 11 minutes; Waiters had 5 fouls in 20 minutes.

Southerland only had 1 game with more than 3 fouls all year (ND).
Waiters had 0 games where he committed more than 3 fouls.

Just weird.

Last night was the most fouls called on one team in the NCAA tournament in the last three years.

Playing zone. Which obviously, usually generates fewer fouls.

With the way this game was called, I'm not sure that even Fab would have made adifference. They were calling fouls on absolutely anyone that stepped any where near Sullinger. And they refused to call anything on him at the other end.

With Fab, SU wins. Better defense, and more fouls to give, not to mention more rebounding help.

Any and almost everything was called a foul, I'm not surprised that happened, the refs were atrocious both ways...All the refs need to go through training again.

With Fab, SU wins. Better defense, and more fouls to give, not to mention more rebounding help.
With Fabs ability to take charges Sullinger would have had 4 fouls right off the bat.

one other thing that bothered me was how evenly they spread the fouls on oh st .. keeping their guys at 3 fouls max.. i saw three instances where they clearly got the wrong guy .. which protected sullinger and thomas.

I agree with pretty much everything posted, the refs were aweful they ruined the game and our chance to win it.

But we need to find a way to get over this start to focus on the future. Let's get Noel lets get back here next year and next time win it. What can we do about the ref's now and what good is starting thread after thread about it going to do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom