Interesting recruiting news... | Syracusefan.com

Interesting recruiting news...

#13, 30 and 73. Very impressive. I would think possibly the top 2 are MCD AA's? Is that possible?

#13, 30 and 73. Very impressive. I would think possibly the top 2 are MCD AA's? Is that possible?
They are!

SU has signed three of the top 75 women players. This must be a record for SU. I would love us to become a presence in women's basketball on the national level.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2012

I remember reading years ago that Geno said there was no reason that Syracuse can't have a great women's basketball program.

If Q doesn't turn things around next year SU should take a hard look at Shea Ralph to replace him, or even try to hire her as associate head coach.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Imagine if they could have kept the home grown talent in town.

Very guard heavy. They have 8 (yes 8 ) returning guards according to their roster and are now adding 3 more. They are losing one of their best players, senior forward and leading scorer, Iasia Hemingway. Their leading rebounder is a 5'9" guard. They need more talented size and strength not only to replace Hemingway but to improve their offensive and defensive balance to be able to compete with the "big girls". I was hoping Tyler Ash from Liverpool, a 6'2 guard would be more of an impact player by now but injuries seemed to have really derailed her career. Coach Q has had some good individual players but they need a much better team. - hoping it's coming like CTO says.

SU has signed three of the top 75 women players. This must be a record for SU. I would love us to become a presence in women's basketball on the national level.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2012[/quote]

That would be fantastic. It was exciting to see SU recruits playing in tonight's Girls McDonald's All-American game. I believe we are going to see the best Cuse women's team in program history in the upcoming years.

Go Cuse!

I remember reading years ago that Geno said there was no reason that Syracuse can't have a great women's basketball program.

If Q doesn't turn things around next year SU should take a hard look at Shea Ralph to replace him, or even try to hire her as associate head coach.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
I actually have a Shea Ralph story which is pretty sad in itself. I ran into her at in Buckland Hills Mall in Hartford while she was still playing and she was with her parents. I said something to her and in the very next second they were showing her on Sportscenter as she had won some award the night before. We all watched it together. Even though it was only Shea Ralph, it's not everyday you get to watch a Sportscenter highlight with the person being highlighted.

That being said, Dr. Gross would probably pay her pretty good to come to the Cuse. However, if and when Geno leaves, she would probably be back there PDQ.

For a head coach, Q makes a pretty solid assistant coach/recruiter. Not much for the x's and o's.

I actually have a Shea Ralph story which is pretty sad in itself. I ran into her at in Buckland Hills Mall in Hartford while she was still playing and she was with her parents. I said something to her and in the very next second they were showing her on Sportscenter as she had won some award the night before. We all watched it together. Even though it was only Shea Ralph, it's not everyday you get to watch a Sportscenter highlight with the person being highlighted.

That being said, Dr. Gross would probably pay her pretty good to come to the Cuse. However, if and when Geno leaves, she would probably be back there PDQ.

I was stationed at Fayetteville, NC (Ft Bragg) while she was in HS during the eary 90's. I remember her putting up some outragous numbers when she was in HS. I have no idea why I remember that. :eek:

They were calling Breanna Stewart the best player in a decade last night. She was right down the street. Not blaming Q, but she would have been a great get!

I watched a

I watched a little of the game last night and Sykes looked very good. Making moves to the hole, rebounding well, steals and making some tough shots as well. Looked to have the whole package. If they could have kept Stewart home this recruiting class would have been top 2 or 3. Definitely a program on the rise.

Gotta get outta the NIT first.
I'm with you on that. The recruiting has really upgraded since Q's arrival, but we seem to consistently underachieve on the floor. BTW, I listened to a little of the James Madison WNIT game on All Access and JMU must have had a lot of fans there, because the crowd was extremely vocal.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2012[/quote]

Q had a Top 15 class two years ago and has not done much with it. And unfortunately - he put a lot of eggs in the basket of controversial coach Apache Paschall who died in January. Last years sole recruit - Tiffany Jones - was from Paschall's Nazareth team and she did not qualify. She was at Tallahassee Community College but appears to have either gotten hurt or quit as she only played in 8 games. Nazareth has had all sorts of issues this season so one might assume the two recruits from there this year may have trouble getting in too. I hope it all works out but Q has not shown much with regard to being a X and O coach and now his best recruiting connection is dead.

Very good points. In addition Coach Q lost Rick Moody as an assistant before this year who was Alabama's former head coach and his mentor. I don't know if that's good or bad but he certainly brought lots of winning experience to the table. It's really too bad that Breanna Stewart showed little interest in SU or leading them to another level. She would have been a phenomenal addition. She has excellent skills and versatility especially for a "big" person. I hope that Coach Q and company make some more recruiting connections especially at high schools with both academic and athletic success.

Probably the bigger loss was 4 years ago when Shenise Johnson went to a bad Miami program over Syracuse, she was arguably the best player to ever come out of the Rochester area (Section 5), a year later Alyssa Fenyn who had scored 2499 points at Newark and had led her team to a Class A State title (also in Section 5), I don't know how hard Syracuse recruited her, but i don't remember hearing her name come up much. This was another player who was one of the better players to come out of Section 5 in recent memory and went out of state. Not that Syracuse is going to get everyone but those were 2 top players at the time that could have been big in turning the Womens program around.