Internal drug policing isn't even required | Syracusefan.com

Internal drug policing isn't even required

Fjoinkay

Starter
The fact that SU might have failed to execute it's plan would show a lack of institutional control over a program that it had no obligation to create. It's embarrassing, but it shouldn't be much more than that.

This is yet another attempt to build the argument that JB has been negligent as the leader and general manager of Syracuse Basketball. If the circumstantial evidence piles up high enough then the hope is that a reasonable person would conclude that JB probably should have known that something wrong was going on between his close friend Fine and boys. Of course, it has to be proved that something wrong was actually going on, and that seems to be very questionable.

Yahoo.com is in an obsessive attack mode to take down JB, and they will not stop digging. Unless something much more damning comes to light I suggest an all-out show of support for JB. I just hope he admits to any instances of poor judgment in terms of failing to execute an internal policy that he had no obligation to create.

Man, I gotta say I'm a bit surprised by the board reaction to this one. I read the article and did a "meh, thats it?". Maybe its because I went through the emotional grinder in November and December during the Fine affair and I'm numb to it all, but this doesn't strike me at all as a major scandal worthy of this much bellyaching. If you read this article and replaced Syracuse with any school across the country, where would it register on your scandal scale? After the Fine stuff, this barely registers for me.

We all know that recreational drug use does and will continue to happen at every school across the country. If we were sloppy with the policy, oh well. That's what happens when the toothless NCAA has no mandatory policy.

This one doesn't even phase me. And when I heard this was already self-reported? Why was this not mentioned in the Charles Robinson/Pat Forde piece? Did they bother to find this out? If not, thats a pretty suspect piece of journalism.

Man, I gotta say I'm a bit surprised by the board reaction to this one. I read the article and did a "meh, thats it?". Maybe its because I went through the emotional grinder in November and December during the Fine affair and I'm numb to it all, but this doesn't strike me at all as a major scandal worthy of this much bellyaching. If you read this article and replaced Syracuse with any school across the country, where would it register on your scandal scale? After the Fine stuff, this barely registers for me.

We all know that recreational drug use does and will continue to happen at every school across the country. If we were sloppy with the policy, oh well. That's what happens when the toothless NCAA has no mandatory policy.

This one doesn't even phase me. And when I heard this was already self-reported? Why was this not mentioned in the Charles Robinson/Pat Forde piece? Did they bother to find this out? If not, thats a pretty suspect piece of journalism.

Seriously, if it doesn't involve child molestation or murder it's definitely meh worthy.

Syracuse self-reported, from one report it seems the violations were in 2001-04, and Yahoo picked up the story. Good for them for breaking something Syracuse apparently reported itself years ago.

Agree, plus what the OP says, it's not even a policy that is required by the NCAA.

Exactly what is the infraction? Not to mention the SOL.

It's not important enough for the NCAA to have a mandatory policy, but they are all in when it comes to enforcing University policies? stupid.

Agree, plus what the OP says, it's not even a policy that is required by the NCAA.

Exactly what is the infraction? Not to mention the SOL.
You don't need one, but if you have one you have to follow it. It's dumb.

You don't need one, but if you have one you have to follow it. It's dumb.

I wonder what the policies are for breaking the law and getting arrested? Punishments for those offenses seem to be all over the place - and vary by school. It's all bunk. The NCAA isn't going to do anything about this.

Christ Penn State has had dozens of football players arrested over the past 10 years and nobody cares. It's an internal matter which doesn't involve the NCAA. I think in the grand scheme of things the NCAA has to tread carefully when it doesn't involve NCAA rules.

The article mentions that Baylor failed to enforce a similar non-required policy and the NCAA called them out on lack of institutional control of the program. And that's what will likely happen to SU. They will be called out for lack of institutional control of a program that they had no obligation under NCAA rules to create.

This is embarrassing, but in my mind this doesn't add up to cheating or unfair play as long as SU players are going to class and earning their grades. It's next to impossible to put this Yahoo report into context without Yahoo or someone else studying the drug use policies at a large sample of other Division I schools. How many schools even have a policy? How do schools without a policy handle situations when basketball players are known to have smoked pot? How do schools with a testing policy respond when basketball players test positive?

I'm guessing this information isn't required to be made public or handed over to the NCAA. Yahoo went to former SU players for this information. How many other schools has Yahoo investigated on this issue?

The article mentions that Baylor failed to enforce a similar non-required policy and the NCAA called them out on lack of institutional control of the program. And that's what will likely happen to SU. They will be called out for lack of institutional control of a program that they had no obligation under NCAA rules to create.

This is embarrassing, but in my mind this doesn't add up to cheating or unfair play as long as SU players are going to class and earning their grades. It's next to impossible to put this Yahoo report into context without Yahoo or someone else studying the drug use policies at a large sample of other Division I schools. How many schools even have a policy? How do schools without a policy handle situations when basketball players are known to have smoked pot? How do schools with a testing policy respond when basketball players test positive?

I'm guessing this information isn't required to be made public or handed over to the NCAA. Yahoo went to former SU players for this information. How many other schools has Yahoo investigated on this issue?

Baylor also had that whole murder cover up that may have played into that.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Yeah. I think the biggest (only?) issue is simply we had a policy in place that we may have violated. Apparently the NCAA can get involved with that.

You can easily argue we don't need a drug policy in place. I wasn't drug tested when I was at SU; I'm not drug tested by my current employer. But it doesn't look good when you put a policy in place and ignore it. It makes it look like we're trying to cheat or call it what you want, when the reality is we could've not had a policy in place and no one would've been tested by the school and this wouldn't be an issue. (As far as I know, if I'm wrong, someone, please correct me).

The fact that SU might have failed to execute it's plan would show a lack of institutional control over a program that it had no obligation to create. It's embarrassing, but it shouldn't be much more than that.

This is yet another attempt to build the argument that JB has been negligent as the leader and general manager of Syracuse Basketball. If the circumstantial evidence piles up high enough then the hope is that a reasonable person would conclude that JB probably should have known that something wrong was going on between his close friend Fine and boys. Of course, it has to be proved that something wrong was actually going on, and that seems to be very questionable.

Yahoo.com is in an obsessive attack mode to take down JB, and they will not stop digging. Unless something much more damning comes to light I suggest an all-out show of support for JB. I just hope he admits to any instances of poor judgment in terms of failing to execute an internal policy that he had no obligation to create.

Here's the problem...we went on probation in the 90's for, among other things, lack of institutional control. We created internal policies and then apparently ignored them.

If SU self-reported, I can assure you that this is a bigger deal than you are making it out to be.

A few years ago, I heard a story related to me by the college friend of a guy working in Compliance at SU. The story involved his first interaction with JB. It was both funny and at the same time disturbing because of what it implied.

I, for one, am worried about this turn of events

Here's the problem...we went on probation in the 90's for, among other things, lack of institutional control. We created internal policies and then apparently ignored them.

If SU self-reported, I can assure you that this is a bigger deal than you are making it out to be.

A few years ago, I heard a story related to me by the college friend of a guy working in Compliance at SU. The story involved his first interaction with JB. It was both funny and at the same time disturbing because of what it implied.

I am concerned for JB in terms of what could be perceived as a pattern of lack of institutional control.

On this issue alone, standing by itself, this drug testing issue is a red herring. It is embarrassing, but that's about it. Yahoo frames a headline such as: "Syracuse Violated Drug Policy." The way it's framed it reads as if Syracuse violated the NCAA's drug testing rules even though the NCAA has no drug testing requirements. I suggest that this is intentional on the part of Yahoo. People may disagree, but they are clearly going after JB right now no-holds barred. On this issue it is unfair and Yahoo is crossing a line in my opinion.

When you combine this situation with others Yahoo and others are digging up I have some concern. This goes back to the Fine investigation. The way to attack JB is to suggest that he should have known what was going on, assuming of course that Fine actually did what he is accused of doing. JB denies knowledge of anything. None of the accusers have said, as far as I know, that JB saw the alleged touching. Yahoo and others who are unhappy with JB's denials are digging at every angle in order to at the very least build the case that JB should have known about any transgressions Bernie Fine was involved in. They are striving to prove JB was negligent and perhaps even worse.

And yet now today Yahoo has a new article where it covers it's tracks a bit.

I was always worried, from the start, about the opportunity this would afford journalists to rake up every piece of trouble over the decades.

"it is not the single thing, it is the dismal tide."

Institutional Control I think I heard Gloria Alread use that term a few times, but i'm a conspiracy theroist

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom