Interpretation of Dino's quote after day1 of Spring Practice | Syracusefan.com

Interpretation of Dino's quote after day1 of Spring Practice

BillSU

All American
“And as we go through the padded practices and get the bruises and the bumps, we'll see who wants to go the day afterward and the day afterward even though they're not 100 percent. And that's when you start to separate those o-linemen and those d-linemen and really the entire football team from the guys who want to play and the guys who just want to have a uniform."

My interpretation of this quote from Dino is that he is finally saying to every position – you want to play Syracuse Football and make this football team relevant again as it was in most of the Schwartzwalder, Pasqualoni, MacPherson years, we have decided you're the best we've got, shut up and play great football, the guy behind you is as good as you and is breathing down your neck and JW is breathing down mine!

Remembering his comments on owies in the past and pairing it with this comment, it indicates to me that maybe some players are soft and when they get bruised up or sore they aren't willing to push through it and that hurts the team. If you are willing to put in the work, work through pain (obviously not anything that would cause further damage) then you are going to get more opportunities to play. Not sure there is much more to it then that.

I don’t pay attention to other teams, is this typical college football coach talk?

He wants to instill some grit in these guys.

“And as we go through the padded practices and get the bruises and the bumps, we'll see who wants to go the day afterward and the day afterward even though they're not 100 percent. And that's when you start to separate those o-linemen and those d-linemen and really the entire football team from the guys who want to play and the guys who just want to have a uniform."

My interpretation of this quote from Dino is that he is finally saying to every position – you want to play Syracuse Football and make this football team relevant again as it was in most of the Schwartzwalder, Pasqualoni, MacPherson years, we have decided you're the best we've got, shut up and play great football, the guy behind you is as good as you and is breathing down your neck and JW is breathing down mine!
i prefer that he say NOTHING at all until he announces the starters for the first game.

I only care about his post game comments.

Not much to see here.
Sounds like a speech used since football was invented.

Dino is a master of coach speak and metaphors......how about this, just win games. The fan base is becoming restless, indifferent and worst of all apathetic towards SU football.....

I also remember some practices being canceled by players in the name of social issues.
1-10...
OK Gents. Gonna do it my way this year.
#1. You shouldn’t assume Dino was not okay with, didn’t offer and didn’t agree with those cancellations.
#2. Those days, and this time in our country, will be transformative in a lot of ways, and college students are often at the core of those changes.
#3. Read Dave Meggessy’s book “Out of Their League” and see how you think minorities and student athletes with political and social awareness ought to be treated and regarded, particularly at SU.
#4. Not enough good players, rather than not enough practice time, was the cause of the FB team’s record last year.

To me, that is the scary sound of a bunch of guys getting hurt this spring and in August because Dino wants them to prove how tough they are. If you can't play, you can't help the team.

He wants to instill some grit in these guys.

Yeah, but let's start the season without 15-20 guys hurt on the sidelines. We saw what a shtt show that can be last year.

#1. You shouldn’t assume Dino was not okay with, didn’t offer and didn’t agree with those cancellations.
#2. Those days, and this time in our country, will be transformative in a lot of ways, and college students are often at the core of those changes.
#3. Read Dave Meggessy’s book “Out of Their League” and see how you think minorities and student athletes with political and social awareness ought to be treated and regarded, particularly at SU.
#4. Not enough good players, rather than not enough practice time, was the cause of the FB team’s record last year.
There is a time and place for everything. CUSE had new OC/DC and the schemes to go with them.
And a finite amount of time to make things work. Could the team not have done both-raise awareness AND practice?

To me, that is the scary sound of a bunch of guys getting hurt this spring and in August because Dino wants them to prove how tough they are. If you can't play, you can't help the team.
if you are correct then dino has not learned anything. we have injury issues for several years now. that should be looked at.

There is a time and place for everything. CUSE had new OC/DC and the schemes to go with them.
And a finite amount of time to make things work. Could the team not have done both-raise awareness AND practice?
Few people would equate the importance of the causes of racial equality and ending police brutality with college football. Well done.

Lol at the sarcasm.

When you are 1-10 people assume the coach is doing everything wrong. You are doing everything great when you are 10-3. Bottom line, Dino is doing nothing different than what other coaches are doing during the spring. I just wish he hadnt shut out media coverage but all coaches say these things. We tell HS kids to learn how to practice and play sore.

Last edited: