Invasion of the Body Snatchers... | Syracusefan.com

Invasion of the Body Snatchers...

newmexicuse

All Conference
I am convinced that we are receiving a visitation from an advanced superior alien basketball playing society, and that one of our guests has taken over Frank's body and mind.

How else to explain the 1000% improvement in demeanor and skills, especially considering he spent most of the off season rehabbing and not working on his game ?

I am convinced that we are receiving a visitation from an advanced superior alien basketball playing society, and that one of our guests has taken over Frank's body and mind.

How else to explain the 1000% improvement in demeanor and skills, especially considering he spent most of the off season rehabbing and not working on his game ?
Still early in the season, he can always regress back to the mean.

I think it is highly probable (and very likely, in my humble opinion) that Frank was absolutely broken down and humbled by how last season unfolded. Maybe the experience of losing his starting job, being relegated to the bench and barely playing, and getting some tough love from the coaching staff humbled him and knocked him down a peg.

Last year, he was volatile. This year, he plays with a calm demeanor and even Keel no matter what's happening out there. And that's exactly what we need from a lead guard.

Things could have gone either way this offseason. Frank could have been discouraged and opted to transfer or quit, but instead he kept his mouth shut, worked hard on both his physique and game, was diligent about his rehab, and the dividends are playing out in front of us.

I don't know that things would go as well as they have if he hadn't gone through The Crucible of last season, and decided to persevere and make himself a different person and player.

Hats off.

I think it is highly probable (and very likely, in my humble opinion) that Frank was absolutely broken down and humbled by how last season unfolded. Maybe the experience of losing his starting job, being relegated to the bench and barely playing, and getting some tough love from the coaching staff humbled him and knocked him down a peg.

Last year, he was volatile. This year, he plays with a calm demeanor and even Keel no matter what's happening out there. And that's exactly what we need from a lead guard.

Things could have gone either way this offseason. Frank could have been discouraged and opted to transfer or quit, but instead he kept his mouth shut, worked hard on both his physique and game, was diligent about his rehab, and the dividends are playing out in front of us.

I don't know that things would go as well as they have if he hadn't gone through The Crucible of last season, and decided to persevere and make himself a different person and player.

Hats off.

Agreed! Life is like that as well. Often times our most productive growth periods are during the rise from our low points. I'm really happy for Frank.

Players just get used to the game.

What they could do or get away with in high school / AAU just doesn't work at the high D1 level.

The have to learn and re-calibrate. Frank isn't a better athlete, he's just a smarter one. What he couldn't see last year, he can now. The game "slows down" for these guys. And as their confidence and experience-based decisoin-making grow, they get even better.

He started last year in the beginning because of his skills and size. But he was benched because he made just too many mental mistakes.

Players are never as good or as bad as fans make them out to be.
Frankly, I’m not surprised at all at FH’s belated sophomore jump, it just took him a year longer than usual. That’s what youth is supposed to be about: make mistakes, learn, and grow.
Unfortunately, we’ve become such a throwaway society that at the first sign of distress, we’re ready to look for something new...and not always necessarily better.
Frank’s a better player, because he’s matured and presumably become a better person.
Kudos to JB for allowing the kid to have this opportunity, and likewise to Frank for taking full advantage.

Has there been any unusual UFO activity around Roswell lately?

Let's not forget the fact Frank knows he isn't going to the bench with the first mistake he makes, unlike last season. It's a lot easier to go out and play well when you don't have to look over your shoulder knowing if you have the slightest slip-up, you're riding pine for a while. Every year there is 1 guy that JB gives an extremely short leash. Matthew Moyer, this year.

Has there been any unusual UFO activity around Roswell lately?

This summer aliens may have been close to Frank's hometown of Suitland, Maryland (PG County).

A spacecraft that had been car-jacked was found stripped in a chop shop in the Silver Hill section.

Let's not forget the fact Frank knows he isn't going to the bench with the first mistake he makes, unlike last season. It's a lot easier to go out and play well when you don't have to look over your shoulder knowing if you have the slightest slip-up, you're riding pine for a while. Every year there is 1 guy that JB gives an extremely short leash. Matthew Moyer, this year.
That is a bit of a myth. Frank started and had a reasonably long leash for the first seven or so games last season.

His play during that time caused the Coach to lose confidence in him.

It was only after Gillon took over the starting role that the leash got really short for Frank.

Part of that short leash was due to the attitude problems as well as the playing problems.

This poster is the first to admit i was a doubter going into this season. Now I am a believer. Of course, he will have some bad games going forward, but I fully expect us to now have well above average PG for the rest of the season. I got my first glimpse last night, and as solid as the o and the vision and the leadership was, I was most impressed by the D and the hustle. last season after a bad TO he would hang his head, now he goes as hard as possible to get the ball back and then add some interest with a good play on the O end. That is showing some real heart.

Players are never as good or as bad as fans make them out to be.
Frankly, I’m not surprised at all at FH’s belated sophomore jump, it just took him a year longer than usual. That’s what youth is supposed to be about: make mistakes, learn, and grow.
Unfortunately, we’ve become such a throwaway society that at the first sign of distress, we’re ready to look for something new...and not always necessarily better.
Frank’s a better player, because he’s matured and presumably become a better person.
Kudos to JB for allowing the kid to have this opportunity, and likewise to Frank for taking full advantage.

Yeah — I think people forget that there was a time when kids would come in, play sparingly as frosh, take over a rotation role as a bench player as a soph and then start for two years and actually show improvement in that span. Frank had an odd progresion — nice moments as a frosh, some really nice moments at times as a soph (early) but then a completely disastrous last 20 games or so — but what he’s done this year has proven that we have to be patient with these kids. Been fun to watch.

Yeah — I think people forget that there was a time when kids would come in, play sparingly as frosh, take over a rotation role as a bench player as a soph and then start for two years and actually show improvement in that span. Frank had an odd progresion — nice moments as a frosh, some really nice moments at times as a soph (early) but then a completely disastrous last 20 games or so — but what he’s done this year has proven that we have to be patient with these kids. Been fun to watch.
I see it acknowledged so infrequently, ... Frank was injured last year. He gutted out a significant abdominal injury. No burst. Affects everything. And I'll play an amateur doctor too: I bet his injury came well before Conference play began in January.

The fact he played through that injury all season is remarkable.

Like, a reverse Monstar?

He is also healthy. You ever tear your groin and/or abs?

I have. Both are very debilitating injuries.

I see it acknowledged so infrequently, ... Frank was injured last year. He gutted out a significant abdominal injury. No burst. Affects everything. And I'll play an amateur doctor too: I bet his injury came well before Conference play began in January.

The fact he played through that injury all season is remarkable.
This^^^^^^^
Most of what has been said otherwise in this thread has completely ignored Frank's own statement regarding last year as well as what JB had to say about Frank last year. That injury virtually finished any chance he had of being productive last year.

I still have to wonder if TT leaving is another factor in Frank being a more mellow guy this year.

He is also healthy.

Also, emotional and physical maturity. We know college basketball was a much better game when it was played by seniors and juniors. Frank Howard is a perfect example of that.