Iona assistant coach hospitalized, Gaels player dismissed | Syracusefan.com

Iona assistant coach hospitalized, Gaels player dismissed

If the player was dismissed, why isn’t the coach fired? Shouldn’t he at least be put on leave pending an investigation?

Based on the limited info in that article, you're absolutely correct. It SOUNDS like it (physical contact) may have been initiated by the assistant coach, and as it escalated the player finished it. Maybe suspend both pending an investigation...unless there is something else we're missing.

The info all seems to have come from Griffin in the article.

I would think Iona did some initial due diligence, and they have a few witnesses who state that Griffin initiated more then he claimed.

Otherwise, can't figure out the one way dismissal.

If the player was dismissed, why isn’t the coach fired? Shouldn’t he at least be put on leave pending an investigation?
Yes mr Millennial. Well make sure billy is fired too.

Yes mr Millennial. Well make sure billy is fired too.
Isn’t it the generation that raised the millenials thats responsible for the whole guilty until proven innocent thing

The info all seems to have come from Griffin in the article.

I would think Iona did some initial due diligence, and they have a few witnesses who state that Griffin initiated more then he claimed.

Otherwise, can't figure out the one way dismissal.

It doesn't cost money to kick a student athlete off the team. Getting rid of the coach means a lawsuit. A program like this likely doesn't have tons of cash laying around.

The coach is responsible in these situations unless he was straight up assaulted with no provocation and sucker punched. But if he was up in a players face pushing them and insulting them etc and got his ass beat to me he had it coming and I side with the player. Noone shows up to practice wanting to knock out the coach and lose their scholarship. Rule #1 of coaching before anything else is not getting your ass kicked by a player. If you initiate contact at all as the coach you are in the wrong.

Iona is a tournament team if I was a fan or student there I'd be furious that a returning senior and one of the best players on the team went instead of a dime a dozen assistant who tackled a player.

You never know team dynamics though this dude could be the coach everyone loves (while they hate the head coach) and Griffen isn't the most popular teammate.

It doesn't cost money to kick a student athlete off the team. Getting rid of the coach means a lawsuit. A program like this likely doesn't have tons of cash laying around.

The coach is responsible in these situations unless he was straight up assaulted with no provocation and sucker punched. But if he was up in a players face pushing them and insulting them etc and got his ass beat to me he had it coming and I side with the player. Noone shows up to practice wanting to knock out the coach and lose their scholarship. Rule #1 of coaching before anything else is not getting your ass kicked by a player. If you initiate contact at all as the coach you are in the wrong.

Iona is a tournament team if I was a fan or student there I'd be furious that a returning senior and one of the best players on the team went instead of a dime a dozen assistant who tackled a player.

You never know team dynamics though this dude could be the coach everyone loves (while they hate the head coach) and Griffen isn't the most popular teammate.