Iona | Syracusefan.com

Iona

Francis03

All American
For those who for whatever reason feared this team can relax now, because for the 2nd year in a row they fail to win the MAAC tourney. Will Cluess ever find a Clue how to advance to the big dance?

Francis. What r u hearing on Noel and our other targets?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Francis. What r u hearing on Noel and our other targets?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk
Noel is 50/50 with us & UK. Haven't heard where he's learning as things been kept very tight. I'll have an update on the other targets in my blog soon.

For those who for whatever reason feared this team can relax now, because for the 2nd year in a row they fail to win the MAAC tourney. Will Cluess ever find a Clue how to advance to the big dance?
I don't fear Iona.
But I'll go out on a long limb and say they're going to get an at-large bid...especially
if Loyola wins the MAAC.
(Yes, I know that their best win is actually a one point loss to Purdue in their opening game).
Scott Machado is one of the best point guards I've seen all year.
Mike Glover is a nice inside presence.
If they get in...they're going to beat someone in the first round.

Iona still has a shot at an at-large with a 5-3 record vs top 100. Nothing that impressive, but holds up against the rest of the bubble

Another team that is a longshot bubble buster is Middle Tennessee St. They are 24-6 with an RPI in the 40's, after losing to a bad Arkansas St team. Its a resume that never gets in historically, but honestly they just as good as some of the BCS bubble crap.

Davidson is also being battled tightly tonight by Elon. They are not getting in regardless, but teams like Mid Tenn St, Davidson,and Iona losing do weaken the 13-14-15 lines, which were not easy matchups for 3 and 4 seeds.

These decent teams who reasonably think they are capable of winning a game or two in the tournament, must really feel a tonne of pressure in their conference tournaments.

Davidson is also being battled tightly tonight by Elon. They are not getting in regardless, but teams like Mid Tenn St, Davidson,and Iona losing do weaken the 13-14-15 lines, which were not easy matchups for 3 and 4 seeds.

These decent teams who reasonably think they are capable of winning a game or two in the tournament, must really feel a tonne of pressure in their conference tournaments.
I think it's unfair not to reward the conference winners with home games, especially from the low major conferences. It's ridiculous that Iona had to play out in Massachusetts for their tourney, when the Maac is mostly a tri-state area conference. It was hilarious to see about 5 people at that Belmont conference championship game yesterday. It definitely would've made more sense to reward Belmont with the home court instead of playing to the sound of crickets at a neutral site.

Capture.JPG

He's gotta do it.

I do feel for the "little guys", so to speak. They pretty much never get shots at good teams at home.

But by my count, Iona has played 4 teams this year inside Pomeroy's top 100. They beat Denver and St. Joes, lost to Marshall and Purdue. They lost 2 games to teams higher than 200 in Pomeroy's ratings. I was thinking last night about how the NCAA could legislate ways to give some of the lesser teams some shots at the big boys at home. Maybe set a minimum % of games that need to be road games in order to be eligible for an at large selection. Not a huge amount, maybe 35% of your regular season games need to be road games? There's got to be something.

Agreed with the post about the conf tournaments for the smaller leagues should be at the higher ranked team's site. In the one bid leagues, it's in the best interests of the league to get your best team in the dance, since they are theoretically the team best equipped to win a game or two and get some pub for your league.

Everyone's missing the point: My Loyola Greyhounds could be headed to the tourney this year and that would be truly remarkable. They're only over .500 once every 47 years.

I rather see Iona get a tourney bid than Seton Hall, who some people still have included despite getting smashed by DePaul.

I agree. Hell when we got smoked by DePaul that almost cost us a bid if we didnt make a run in the BET

I was thinking last night about how the NCAA could legislate ways to give some of the lesser teams some shots at the big boys at home. Maybe set a minimum % of games that need to be road games in order to be eligible for an at large selection. Not a huge amount, maybe 35% of your regular season games need to be road games? There's got to be something.
People might be surprised to find that Syracuse played 39% of its games on the road this year.
Maybe institute a rule that to be tournament eligible, you have to play at least 2 non conference true road games, at least one vs. a BCS conference and at least one vs. a non-BCS conference

People might be surprised to find that Syracuse played 39% of its games on the road this year.
Maybe institute a rule that to be tournament eligible, you have to play at least 2 non conference true road games, at least one vs. a BCS conference and at least one vs. a non-BCS conference

I was trying to do the math quickly in my head without looking it up.

31 games, 10 on the road, so I only get 32%. With 10 road games, we'd have needed to play only 25 games to be at 39%; am I missing something? 12 into 31 is 39%, but I wouldn't count the neutral site games as roadies, but I'm guessing thats where you're getting your number from?

There has got to be something they can do; the smaller conference schools deserve a shot to get some of the big boys at home. I have nothing against Northwestern for instance (I am rooting for them to make it) but they have had a ton of shots to beat high quality teams this year; they're going to get a few of those no matter what, really.

I was trying to do the math quickly in my head without looking it up.

31 games, 10 on the road, so I only get 32%. With 10 road games, we'd have needed to play only 25 games to be at 39%; am I missing something? 12 into 31 is 39%, but I wouldn't count the neutral site games as roadies, but I'm guessing thats where you're getting your number from?

There has got to be something they can do; the smaller conference schools deserve a shot to get some of the big boys at home. I have nothing against Northwestern for instance (I am rooting for them to make it) but they have had a ton of shots to beat high quality teams this year; they're going to get a few of those no matter what, really.
no, you are right, I didn't look it up either, just subtracted 19 from 31, forgetting about the MSG games

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom