Is anyone big stepping up? | Syracusefan.com

Is anyone big stepping up?

DPCuse

Starter
Anyone connected enough to know if all this SU fball turmoil is getting any rich alums to step up to the plate and throw some bucks at the facilities?

I know the way these games are played. Universities will borrow if they know they have unconditional promises to give (irrevocable trusts) when donors pass. So if a donor is afraid to part with their millions during their lifetime, they can put it in a trust and leave it to SU upon their death. SU knowing they have millions coming down the road could decide to borrow the funds now in this low interest rate environment and pay it off with the proceeds from the trusts down the road.

Although this isn't anything new. I'm sure SU has attempted this and it doesn't sound like it's gone well.

well they had to make about $3,000 in a 3rd party grass roots campaign yesterday.

and I never got around to donate - so I'll add to that today.

Anyone connected enough to know if all this SU fball turmoil is getting any rich alums to step up to the plate and throw some bucks at the facilities?

I know the way these games are played. Universities will borrow if they know they have unconditional promises to give (irrevocable trusts) when donors pass. So if a donor is afraid to part with their millions during their lifetime, they can put it in a trust and leave it to SU upon their death. SU knowing they have millions coming down the road could decide to borrow the funds now in this low interest rate environment and pay it off with the proceeds from the trusts down the road.

Although this isn't anything new. I'm sure SU has attempted this and it doesn't sound like it's gone well.
Really? You think anyone here knows? (Except maybe CTO and she sure as hell ain't sayin'.) The only people who know are Dr. Gross and the Chancellor. Calm yourself. When it comes time for you to know, you'll hear about it officially.

So are you saying its time for us to start bumping off some rich alumni?

So are you saying its time for us to start bumping off some rich alumni?

Only if they have SU football in their will. :) Kidding of course.

He's not a donor but hes definately stepping up. Go read the Malik Brown thread on the recruiting forum. Zach Allen is THE MAN. He's been recruiting for us ever since he committed and now he's doing damage control, trying to keep the class together. This is why everyone on the board has a giant man-crush on him.

All this SU football turmoil? You sure about that? Maybe there is, but IF SO, that turmoil isn't widely known or suspected, even among internet college football fans. Go visit other teams' fan sites. I've seen virtually no talk about Doug Marrone possibly going to the NFL and no smack talk about SU facilities beyond the occasional reference to the Dome as "old and dingy."

Fact is, no one seem to know or care that people on SyracuseFan.com are having coronaries over the prospect of HCDM checking out or over the possibility that his dream job turned into a nightmare because of failed promises to close the "facilities gap."

If a pin drops on Alpha Centauri does it make a sound?

All this SU football turmoil? You sure about that? Maybe there is, but IF SO, that turmoil isn't widely known or suspected, even among internet college football fans. Go visit other teams' fan sites. I've seen virtually no talk about Doug Marrone possibly going to the NFL and no smack talk about SU facilities beyond the occasional reference to the Dome as "old and dingy."

Fact is, no one seem to know or care that people on SyracuseFan.com are having coronaries over the prospect of HCDM checking out or over the possibility that his dream job turned into a nightmare because of failed promises to close the "facilities gap."

Could that just be because we are not relevant enough for them to care? If we were BCS bowling with Melo-Center like football facilities, I think alot more people would be buzzing about this. Even the NFL guys on ESPN are 24/7 Chip Kelly, a little Bill O'Brien before he stayed and some mention of Brian Kelly, then there's the footnote, "oh yea, Doug Marrone is interviewing with the Browns, back to you in Bristol."

I used the word turmoil but could easily have used drama. Whatever you want to call it. Fact is, other programs will use our facilities against us in recruiting. Our coach is interviewing. Recruits are talking about rethinking their commitment. Call it what you will. Cash will help. I will restate my question: has it had an effect with the fanbase and alums who might be able to help with donations? Or has the phone not even rung?

He's not a donor but hes definately stepping up. Go read the Malik Brown thread on the recruiting forum. Zach Allen is THE MAN. He's been recruiting for us ever since he committed and now he's doing damage control, trying to keep the class together. This is why everyone on the board has a giant man-crush on him.

There's something unsettling about having a man crush on a 17 year old.

as far as football alumni the only one still collecting a big time paycheck is Freeny. As far as other alumni I now the owner of Destiny USA and a bunch of other malls across the northeast is a SU alumn, Bob Congel. I don't know if he is currently donating or not, but I know he has the money. His son Scott was on the team in the late 80's I think. I think he made it as a walk on but I'm thinking there was a donation there somewhere.

as far as football alumni the only one still collecting a big time paycheck is Freeny. As far as other alumni I now the owner of Destiny USA and a bunch of other malls across the northeast is a SU alumn, Bob Congel. I don't know if he is currently donating or not, but I know he has the money. His son Scott was on the team in the late 80's I think. I think he made it as a walk on but I'm thinking there was a donation there somewhere.

Don't hold your breath on Congel...guy is about as tight with money as it comes.

Don't hold your breath on Congel...guy is about as tight with money as it comes.
Wrong. I used to work for him. The guy is a brilliant businessman, and got a raw deal from the city. Just like the football program, the city is short sited with embracing change, and development. I know for a fact he is a big Syracuse sports fan, and easily has the funds to at least jump start a project if he wishes. The question is I would be very curious to see if he was ever contacted, cause I know for sure he isn't reading this board. Who knows, he wanted to make a mark on the city, a name on an athletic facility, or a room or 2 may be something that sounds intriguing to him. Guess we'll never know.

You are... My fire... My one... Desire...

Believe... When I say...

I want it that way!

steel panther can make any song awesome

(please read aloud and say awesome with your highest metal scream)

Wrong. I used to work for him. The guy is a brilliant businessman, and got a raw deal from the city. Just like the football program, the city is short sited with embracing change, and development. I know for a fact he is a big Syracuse sports fan, and easily has the funds to at least jump start a project if he wishes. The question is I would be very curious to see if he was ever contacted, cause I know for sure he isn't reading this board. Who knows, he wanted to make a mark on the city, a name on an athletic facility, or a room or 2 may be something that sounds intriguing to him. Guess we'll never know.

He is listed on the "Visionary Honor Roll" for Syracuse University. The website says that "Visionaries are individuals who see the world not only for what it is, but what it can be. Syracuse University Visionaries are donors who see the vital role SU plays in addressing the challenges of society, and whose cumulative or transformative giving will enable us to continue doing so long into the future."

Whatever that all means. The guy clearly has the wealth to put his name on a building at SU. Whether or not he has the inclination to funnel this wealth toward SU athletics is something I'm not sure of.

Couldn't agree with you more. I worked for him on many of his private houses and I can say when he wants something done the sky is the limit. And if he likes your idea and your work he will just about give you a blank check. I am sure if SU had any plans for a practice facility and they included him in on it and let him have some input he would be a major donor to it.

Couldn't agree with you more. I worked for him on many of his private houses and I can say when he wants something done the sky is the limit. And if he likes your idea and your work he will just about give you a blank check. I am sure if SU had any plans for a practice facility and they included him in on it and let him have some input he would be a major donor to it.

Make it so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom