Is Billy Donovan the most underrated coach in America? | Syracusefan.com

Is Billy Donovan the most underrated coach in America?

Yes. Although I can understand why.

He won a championship then completely lucked out by having the entire team come back for another year.

Also, he is one generation removed from the old guard: Pitino, Boeheim, Coach K, and Izzo.

I'm trying to think of another coach who has accomplished so much but tends to get forgotten about in "best coach in college basketball" discussions.
He is certainly not the most underpaid:

http://espn.go.com/colleges/florida...ly-donovan-florida-gators-signs-contract-2016

Any coach that has back to back NC's certainly has my respect, not that that means anything. Back to back is huge - hard enough to get one, but then another when everyone is gunning for you, that's impressive. And this year they are going to be VERY tough come NCAAT time.

On a side note, let us not forget he is on JB's coaching tree: JB begat Pitino begat Donovan.

Once Coach K retires, I could see Donovan in the discussion as Team USA coach.

He's been to the same number of Elite 8s and national championship games as Jim Boeheim.

(I'm a huge Boeheim fan; this is in no way intended as a crack at him, just a holy crap for Donovan.)

He's been to the same number of Elite 8s and national championship games as Jim Boeheim.

(I'm a huge Boeheim fan; this is in no way intended as a crack at him, just a holy crap for Donovan.)
and he has an excellent shot at yet another one this year

Definitely under rated. I also think he does a really nice job with player development. Wilbekin is a heck of a PG who was not that impressive early in his career which is just one of many examples. He coaches a style that is really effective in the tournament.

He coaches Florida, which means most of his media exposure is in the south, specifically SEC states. If he coached Florida State instead of Florida he'd be a far bigger name since he'd get more exposure in key media states.

I'm trying to think of another coach who has accomplished so much but tends to get forgotten about in "best coach in college basketball" discussions.
Discussions by talking heads or discussions by "fans"? How many other current coaches have at least two NC's. Only one current coach has more than him and two have the same amount. I think if people forget about him then they don't really know basketball.

Boeheim is the most underrated coach in America. He's never in anybody's top five. You'll hear Coach K, Pitino, Williams, Self, Donovan and, of course, Saint Izzo before JB's name gets mentioned. Because he chose a defensive system which mathematically keeps him in games, including Nobel-worthy game theory based end of game clock management, he's chosen as a system coach but not a great coach. He's refined his system so much that he chooses his players based on their silhouette and lateral quickness. It just doesn't make for sexy basketball. I don't think I'm far off but... are we the winningest team over the last three years? Top 3 over the last five?

LAOrange said:
Boeheim is the most underrated coach in America. He's never in anybody's top five. You'll hear Coach K, Pitino, Williams, Self, Donovan and, of course, Saint Izzo before JB's name gets mentioned. Because he chose a defensive system which mathematically keeps him in games, including Nobel-worthy game theory based end of game clock management, he's chosen as a system coach but not a great coach. He's refined his system so much that he chooses his players based on their silhouette and lateral quickness. It just doesn't make for s e x y basketball. I don't think I'm far off but... are we the winningest team over the last three years? Top 3 over the last five?

It's the one title thing that will ever keep him from being in the discussion with outsiders.

I think JB is a top 5 coach of all time. Problem is when other people see one title it's easy to dismiss him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom