Is Chukwu eligible for a medical redshirt and are we pursuing it? | Syracusefan.com

Is Chukwu eligible for a medical redshirt and are we pursuing it?

Alsacs

Living Legend
The kid played under 20% of our games and he was out due to injury.

So if the kid can help in 2 years I would hope we pursue it. All we want is a BMK defender for the rotation.

The kid played under 20% of our games and he was out due to injury.

So if the kid can help in 2 years I would hope we pursue it. All we want is a BMK defender for the rotation.
I'm guessing they will pursue it. Obviously none of us are doctors but it seems like if they really wanted him to play this year we would be hearing some stories of goggles.

Somebody a month ago on this thread mentioned why he would not be eligible for it and it made sense...but not enough for me to remember it apparently.

Somebody a month ago on this thread mentioned why he would not be eligible for it and it made sense...but not enough for me to remember it apparently.

One redshirt year to a customer. Chukwu used his last season.

I believe its because he sat out last year as a transfer. Isn't the rule 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility, regardless of why it takes you 5 years.

I believe its because he sat out last year as a transfer. Isn't the rule 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility, regardless of why it takes you 5 years.
According to this, six years is still possible and six guys are using it this year including Rodney Pryor from Georgetown and Dylan Ennis from Oregon.
NCAA 6th year of eligibility

I think to get a second redshirt/6th year eligibility, your first redshirt usually has to also be injury related (or something else outside of the player and institution's control)

I posted this on a similar thread awhile ago:

I don't think he qualifies for a medical redshirt since he already sat out a year while transferring:

Athletes must keep in mind both the five-year clock and their four seasons of competition. Even if an athlete gets a medical hardship waiver, he or she needs to have time left on their five-year clock to use that season.

This is problematic for athletes took a normal redshirt season or sat out due to a transfer. An athlete can generally not use a medical redshirt in those cases unless they get a clock extension or sixth year waiver. To do that the athlete show they lost two seasons outside of his or her control. The medical redshirt would be one, but the athlete would still need to show another.

How to Get a Medical Redshirt

According to this, six years is still possible and six guys are using it this year including Rodney Pryor from Georgetown and Dylan Ennis from Oregon.
NCAA 6th year of eligibility

You can get a 6th year only if you missed two seasons due to injury or illness or circumstances beyond a student-athlete's control.

An inability to participate as a result of a transfer year in residence is considered within a student-athlete's control.

Chukwu is not eligible.

You can get a 6th year only if you missed two seasons due to injury or illness or circumstances beyond a student-athlete's control.

An inability to participate as a result of a transfer year in residence is considered within a student-athlete's control.

Chukwu is not eligible.
Ahh, the fine print. That football list is pretty long of players who must have missed two seasons due to injuries (like Terrel Hunt who is on there).

Chukwu is not eligible.

That's what I thought but why was Dylan Ennis granted a 6th year? He burned his redshirt year when he transferred from Rice to Villanova (like Chukwu). Transferred to Oregon. Broke his foot and only played two games and petitioned for a 6th year and was granted one.

I don't really get it.

EDIT: Found this - "Per Oregon's release, the NCAA granted the school's request for Ennis' additional eligibility under the Fifth-Year Rule Waiver "based upon the totality of the circumstances and student-athlete well-being."

Last edited:
Ahh, the fine print. That football list is pretty long of players who must have missed two seasons due to injuries (like Terrel Hunt who is on there).

Juwan Dowels is in the same boat on the football side.

Redshirted in 2014
Played in 2015
Played only 2 games in 2016.

He's got 2017 and 2018 left.

That's what I thought but why was Dylan Ennis granted a 6th year? He burned his redshirt year when he transferred from Rice to Villanova (like Chukwu). Transferred to Oregon. Broke his foot and only played two games and petitioned for a 6th year and was granted one.

I don't really get it.

Maybe because he graduated from Nova before he transferred?

The NCAA works in strange and mysterious ways, and never in our favor.

I emailed one of the Syracuse.com writers about this. He said he can apply for a waiver for a sixth year of eligibility FWIW.

Nicely done. Will there be a story regarding this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom