Is Doug Marrone the right person to restore SU Football? | Syracusefan.com

Is Doug Marrone the right person to restore SU Football?

CuseJo

Walk On
Ok. His year 3 is almost over. I'd love to see everyone's opinion for serious question. Is Coach Doug Marrone the right person to restore SU Football?

I know when he took over, program was a mess, but it doesn't look much better after year 3. My biggest concern is how his team ALWAYS regress at the end of the season. Charlie Strong's Louisville team is the other way. His team gets better as the year goes on... Also, let's look at his recruiting vs. GRob.

QB = Nassib, A Robinson (GRob) Loeb, Kinder, Miller, Hunt (DM). Clearly, GRob wins here.
RB = Carter, Bailey (GRob). Ameen Moore, Gulley, Smith (DM). GRob wins by a mile for now.
WR = Williams, Sales, Taj Smith, Chew, Lemon, (GRob). West, Kobena, Foster (DM). GRob wins by 3 miles here.
TE = Provo, Stevens (Grob) Wales, Copa, Addazio (DM). GRob wins.
OL= Bartholmew, Mckenzie, Alport, Lepak, Pugh, (Grob), MacPherson, Tiller, Hay, Chibane, Trudo, Hickey, Foy. Counting Pugh as GRob bc he committed b4 Marrone hire. Marrone wins by little. Not much of a win since GRob recruited OLs were mostly FCS talent.

DL = C. Jones, Marinovich, Tribbey, Haney, Kimmel (GRob). Sharpe, Ball, Robinson, Bromley, Crume, Goggins, Welsh (DM). This is a push. GRob better at DE, Marrone better at DT.
LB = Hogue, D. Smith, Vaughn (Grob). Spruill, Lynch, Davis (DM). Lot of top DM LBs left(Hawkes, Carter). GRob wins here for now. I could see Davis and Spruill turning out to be Hogue type.
DB = Holmes, Suter, KScott, Merkerson (Grob). SThomas, PThomas, Lyn, RAnderson, Wilkes, Fisher (DM). DM wins by little. Best player here is Mike Holmes though.

P = Long (GR) Fisher (DM). Grob wins by a mile.
PK = Shadle (GR) Krautman. DM wins here.

Based on my observation above, GRob has out recruited DM so far. DM start bringing better players fast or we will continue to get over matched like today's game.

For Marrone to restore SU Football, we must reel in top players like Jarron Jones and Ishaq Williams. 80% of his recruits have been 2 star diamond in the rough.

My honest opinion. I think SUwill go 5-7 next year and DM will be out. I just don't see any young talent who will be a differene makers. I hope he proves me wrong and goes 9-3 or something.

What does everyone think???

There will be roughly 17,000 threads started between now and opening day next year that willl ask some variation of this question.

And all of them will end up with an answer of "we don't know".

It's not looking good, to be sure. But we'll know in a year or so.

There will be roughly 17,000 threads started between now and opening day next year that willl ask some variation of this question.

And all of them will end up with an answer of "we don't know".

It's not looking good, to be sure. But we'll know in a year or so.
Well, maybe, just maybe, it is time to act decisively?

If we beat pitt and go to the tampax bowl i'd give doug three more years simply for getting us to two bowls in a row.
If we lose to pitt next year is the hot seat.
I really like doug but ending the season on a 5 game skid does little to sell the program to the fans.

The short answer is NO.

Not gonna type the long answer because we all know why. Pretty much he doesn't win enough. His decisions and coaching staff is why we are losing, not because of lack of talent. We are losing to a crap schedule and to equal or worse teams. I could go on all night but why bother

No, he is not. If you take records and stats out of the equation and use the "eye test," its safe to say he has borderline failed. I give him a D so far over the course of his tenure here, and thats mainly because of not only getting to a bowl last year but managing to win. Otherwise his grade is an F. Next year will be much of the same if not worse. I find it amazing how anyone can find optimism for the future when you combine the poor coaching and subpar recruiting. Doug will get next year to prove himself but it will only hurt his resume more. He seems like a good guy with respectable morals, but Grob was much of the same and we know how that went.

The short answer is NO.

Not gonna type the long answer because we all know why. Pretty much he doesn't win enough. His decisions and coaching staff is why we are losing, not because of lack of talent. We are losing to a crap schedule and to equal or worse teams. I could go on all night but why bother

I don't see how anyone could possibly make the argument highlighted above with a straight face. Are you kidding me? You must not watch very much college football to make that claim, as there is no way that our personnel at OL, WR, QB is comparable to quality teams.

Coaching is part of it. Systems ill-suited for the college game is another part. But the talent level of this roster [or lack thereof] has an enormous impact in what we're seeing on the field.

I don't see how anyone could possibly make the argument highlighted above with a straight face. Are you kidding me? You must not watch very much college football to make that claim, as there is no way that our personnel at OL, WR, QB is comparable to quality teams.

Coaching is part of it. Systems ill-suited for the college game is another part. But the talent level of this roster [or lack thereof] has an enormous impact in what we're seeing on the field.

USF, UCONN, Rutgers, and Cincy are equally as bad as SU if not worse. If you think our talent is less than those 4 schools you are the one not watching college football my friend.

USF, UCONN, Rutgers, and Cincy are equally as bad as SU if not worse. If you think our talent is less than those 4 schools you are the one not watching college football my friend.

The same Cinci that was running away with the conference but came down to earth after their all-conference QB went down? The same UConn that pasted 40 on Rutgers today?

You are very anti-Marrone, so I get why you are downplaying the talent factor to place all of the blame on coaching, but college football doesn't work that way. Maybe in TechmoBowl, where all you have to do is call different plays and magically get radically different results with the same personnel.

The fact of the matter is that the talent level is subpar. Very few offensive playmakers, and we didn't stop anyone on defense all year long. And that situation was exacerbated by a predictable offensive system that was ultra conservative--no argument there. But putting all of the blame on coaching while overlooking the talent gap overlooks a significant problem this program has.

Seriously--name one skilled player we have who would start on other teams in the conference, let alone on top 25 caliber teams.

The same Cinci that was running away with the conference but came down to earth after their all-conference QB went down?

Exactly. A conference that totally sucks and isn't any good. THAT conference! Thanks for making my entire point!

Exactly. A conference that totally sucks and isn't any good. THAT conference! Thanks for making my entire point!

Poor attempt to bait and switch. The conference sucks--nobody disputes that. The coaching also stinks. Nobody disputes that, either.

Both are completely independent of--and not mutually exclusive to--the fact that the talent on our team stinks.

But by not being able to respond intelligently, thank you for making my entire point that your insistence that talent isn't an issue is nothing more than rhetoric.

You are very anti-Marrone, so I get why you are downplaying the talent factor to place all of the blame on coaching, but college football doesn't work that way. Maybe in TechmoBowl, where all you have to do is call different plays and magically get radically different results with the same personnel.

And P.S...part of Doug's job is to bring in talent. It's year 3. Name 1 guy he has brought in to make an impact? Doug has failed as a gameday coach and as a recruiter. If YOUR claim is correct that we don't have talent. It falls on Marrone as well!!

Open your Eyes! Stop being a bleeding-homer with his head in the sand!

Both are completely independent of--and not mutually exclusive to--the fact that the talent on our team stinks.

But by not being able to respond intelligently, thank you for making my entire point that your insistence that talent isn't an issue is nothing more than rhetoric.

Who is responsible for bringing in the talent? Let me know who our GM is so I can blame them then. Because I believe this is COLLEGE football where the head coach also needs to recruit.

If they changed the rules please let me know!

Doug wouldn't be the guy to turn around Solvay, let alone Syracuse. While we definitely lack in the talent department, it's more than that. Doug just doesn't get it, or have IT. Nice guy, but this is football.

It would be one thing if he were killing it on the recruiting trail, but he's not. And I don't want to hear we can't judge the recruits until they've been here for a few years... for the most part they project to be what we have now, anybody that says different is fooling themselves.

And P.S...part of Doug's job is to bring in talent. It's year 3. Name 1 guy he has brought in to make an impact? Doug has failed as a gameday coach and as a recruiter. If YOUR claim is correct that we don't have talent. It falls on Marrone as well!!

Open your Eyes! Stop being a bleeding-homer with his head in the sand!

Hilarious--so now you capitulate and admit that talent might be an issue as a function of recruiting. At least you're starting to learn.

It's not my fault that you made a dumb, indefensible point about talent not being an issue. Also not my fault that in four posts since I called you on your dumb point, you haven't been able to dispute it.

Freaking hilarious!

Who is responsible for bringing in the talent? Let me know who our GM is so I can blame them then. Because I believe this is COLLEGE football where the head coach also needs to recruit.

If they changed the rules please let me know!

His decisions and coaching staff is why we are losing, not because of lack of talent.

You can blame GRob for giving us four of the worst years in program history. And you can blame Marrone for not significantly upgrading the talent in his time here.

But above you said we're not losing because of lack of talent. Why are you changing your tune now? Because you can't name one player on offense we have who'd start for a quality team? Because it's pretty obvious that talent IS an issue for why we suck, amongst many other reasons?

Hilarious--so now you capitulate and admit that talent might be an issue as a function of recruiting. At least you're starting to learn.

It's not my fault that you made a dumb, indefensible point about talent not being an issue. Also not my fault that in four posts since I called you on your dumb point, you haven't been able to dispute it.

Freaking hilarious!
As funny as it is, not as funny as the job Doug has done this year. Now that's funny!

Freaking hilarious!

No, I for hypothetical situation took your stance as true (which it isn't) but if I play along it still falls on Doug. That's the point. My way that the talent is equal and Doug doesn't know what to do, points to Doug Failing. Your way that we have no talent which is why we are losing, it points to Doug Faililng. Either way (even though mine is correct and yours isn't) Doug is failing and not the man for the job.

Get it. Got it. Good!

after this season any fan would have the right to jump ship on him-

team has looked digusting at everything-2 previous years we at least played with some fundimentals-

groobers best class has graduated,now he has to use the kids he recruited and they have proven to be a step below the guru baby's-

we went from average talent to none over 1 season-that my friends is coaching and recruiting that doesnt work

Can I have some of that shiite you're smoking? All of these schools, with the possible exception of UConn, have been clearly out recruiting us for years. This team would be hard-pressed to compete in the MAC.

I am, however, beginning to lean towards the fact that the problem is coaching. I simply haven't seen any improvement with this team's play, whatsoever.

Can I have some of that shiite you're smoking? All of these schools, with the possible exception of UConn, have been clearly out recruiting us for years. This team would be hard-pressed to compete in the MAC.

I am, however, beginning to lean towards the fact that the problem is coaching. I simply haven't seen any improvement with this team's play, whatsoever.

Agreed, on both counts.

Coaching is an issue. Systems are an issue. And talent is an issue. I was willing to give Marrone the benefit of the doubt based upon the team trending positively the first two years, but he deserves a tremendous amount of blame for what transpired this season.

While this might be year 3 it really only represents 2 years worth of recruiting. Remember year 1 Marrone was only given a few weaks to recruit and he did manage to land some decent recruits. His recruits are basically frosh and sophomores. It is ridiculous to say he can't recruit as you are comparing kids with 4 and 5 years in the program with kids one or two. I could argue that since there are quite a few of his recruits playing and contributing that he is in fact bringing in decent talent.

Seriously--name one skilled player we have who would start on other teams in the conference, let alone on top 25 caliber teams.

There are more than 1, but since you only asked for 1...Nassib is better than the QB's we faced vs. rutgers, UConn and Cincy hands down and not even close.