Is FH still hurt? | Syracusefan.com

Is FH still hurt?

OrangeFoo

All American
He is a shell of the player he once was. He can’t get past anyone, throws some really questionable passes and struggles with basic dribbling skills. Doesn’t seem to making much of an impact on D. The worst part is that instead of facilitating the offense he brings it to a screeching halt. No tempo and no ball movemenr. If it weren’t for the random threes he’d be unplayable. Not surprised Buddy players so many minutes in his place... with frank on the floor and our center situation we were playing 3 on 5.

Wonder if this will get better or if this is what we see all year.

He is a shell of the player he once was. He can’t get past anyone, throws some really questionable passes and struggles with basic dribbling skills. Doesn’t seem to making much of an impact on D. The worst part is that instead of facilitating the offense he brings it to a screeching halt. No tempo and no ball movemenr. If it weren’t for the random threes he’d be unplayable. Not surprised Buddy players so many minutes in his place... with frank on the floor and our center situation we were playing 3 on 5.

He looks exactly the same to me as he has ever been.

Frank's steal late in the game sealed our win at Duke

And he carried us in the second half. We need him. He'll have his games and he'll have his head-scratching plays. That's who he is. At the end of the day, he's a fourth year 6'5 PG in the zone. Very good defender, and streaky offensive player. When he's streaky good, we're a top 10 team.

Last edited:

Frank sat 6 mins. Buddy played 19. The rest of your post is just as much wrong.

I actually think Frank is looking more mature out there. Surveys the court well. Doesn’t need to be the hot hand, finds his spots. Not flashy but we don’t need that from him. If he continues to emerge in that way then I see our team improving as season goes on.

When they were small and running shooting 3s, Frank had the composure to slow the pace and take time off. This was with 4 to go.
Frank let the game come to him and did what circumstances demanded. He played very smart

I am not a Frank fan but I will say he looks better now than a few weeks ago. He seems solid on defense and played well agains Duke but I think he is a liability on offense. The good news is he doesn't turn the ball over much which is obviously a positive.

Last year vs this year in conference games

MPG 39 vs 31
PPG 15 vs 11
APG 4.2 vs 4.2
TOPG 3.2 vs 2.0
SPG 1.5 vs 1.2
RPG 3.2 vs 3.4
FG% 37% vs 40%
3FG% 36% vs 36%
FT % 71% vs 70%

I'm not sure if Frank is still hurt, but I don't think he's playing at 100%. He's still behind on conditioning and practice time. I think we will see him step up to another level before the year is over. He still looks extremely uncomfortable driving to the basket, and that was not the case last year.

I'm not sure if Frank is still hurt, but I don't think he's playing at 100%. He's still behind on conditioning and practice time. I think we will see him step up to another level before the year is over. He still looks extremely uncomfortable driving to the basket, and that was not the case last year.

Yep. Stats are nice, but watching him, he’s not there yet

He has lost a step and hardly ever tries to drive. Leg injuries can do that. He might recover during the season or he might need time off to recover. If he makes a full recovery his stats should exceed last year's. He treats the area inside the three point line like kryptonite.

He has lost a step and hardly ever tries to drive. Leg injuries can do that. He might recover during the season or he might need time off to recover. If he makes a full recovery his stats should exceed last year's. He treats the area inside the three point line like kryptonite.

Exactly. If he were fully recovered, this is absolutely the case.

He can still get there.

There's no reason to call him out at this point.

Or to overly defend where he is currently.

Last year vs this year in conference games

The eyes don't lie. However, other than his points, he has improved every one of these stats on a per minute basis over last year, some of them significantly (though this is a small sample size, and perhaps not representative of the league as a whole). With more offensive options on the court this year (chiefly Eli), his fewer points per minute makes some sense

MPG 39 vs 31
PPG 15 vs 11 (8% lower, from 0.38 PPM to 0.35)
APG 4.2 vs 4.2 (26% improved)
TOPG 3.2 vs 2.0 (21% improved)
SPG 1.5 vs 1.2 (slightly improved, pretty much a wash)
RPG 3.2 vs 3.4 (34% improved)
FG% 37% vs 40%
3FG% 36% vs 36%
FT % 71% vs 70%

The eyes don't lie. However, other than his points, he has improved every one of these stats on a per minute basis over last year, some of them significantly (though this is a small sample size, and perhaps not representative of the league as a whole). With more offensive options on the court this year (chiefly Eli), his fewer points per minute makes some sense

MPG 39 vs 31
PPG 15 vs 11 (8% lower, from 0.38 PPM to 0.35)
APG 4.2 vs 4.2 (26% improved)
TOPG 3.2 vs 2.0 (21% improved)
SPG 1.5 vs 1.2 (slightly improved, pretty much a wash)
RPG 3.2 vs 3.4 (34% improved)
FG% 37% vs 40%
3FG% 36% vs 36%
FT % 71% vs 70%

But of course this equally applies to most of the areas of improvement.

The stats last year were from a full season, with mostly ACC foes. I'm not sure what the breakdown of the opponents on his stats for this season were against. I'm just pointing out that sometimes numbers can be simplistic, and misleading, if not taken in the proper context. Even Boheim has said as much that he hasn't been shooting well(minus maybe Duke, where numerous players resurrected themselves for whatever reason). I'm just throwing stuff out there for folks to consider, I was possibly the kid's most vocal supporter when a bleepstorm of hate was being rained down on him on here back in the day.

If some feel he is playing at his ceiling, that's on them. I have faith he has more in his tank, and hope that it will come out again.

Frank should go as hard as he can to see if the ankle is completely healed or not. Is that the thinking now?

I think there is truth to the FH is still recovering angle. The adrenaline filled Duke game showed us what FH can be, not what he is yet. Hope FH is on his way back, but still may have a ways to go. FH's calming presence at the end game is nice.

As for lineups when FH is out, the TB, Buddy, Eli, OB, and MD is one that could have a lot of offensive punch. JC better smarten up in a hurry, because turnovers suck. And coaches sons are generally known for their high bball IQs .

But of course this equally applies to most of the areas of improvement.

Of the 4 stats he highlighted as improved, I’m not sure how better offensive players around him necessarily improves his steals or rebounds. Turnovers too. Assists definitely is helped by better offensive players around him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom