Is HCDM Recruiting NYC taking a page out of Jimmy Johnson's playbook ? | Syracusefan.com

Is HCDM Recruiting NYC taking a page out of Jimmy Johnson's playbook ?

nralecuse

Walk On
Saw the ESPN 30/30 about the "U". The show states that unlike others Jimmy Johnson agressively recruited players to the private University of Miami (a school some players on the program said was outside their perceived reach )from the city of Miami and built those teams by keeping a group of guy who felt 'overlooked' together and close to home.

GO ORANGE

I thought about the similarities when I watched that 30/30. I guess the big difference that comes to my mind is that Marrone grew up in the Bronx. I've been living in Manhattan since '95, and I've always wondered about the massive amount of undeveloped football talent in NYC schools. My guess is that Marrone has always believed NYC would be a huge resource for recruiting because he grew up in the City. If football talent is a numbers game in any way then NYC is a goldmine waiting to be developed.

It's one of the reasons I love the Bromley pick up. My understanding is that Bromley started playing football very late, or maybe he played at a school with a program that hadn't been around but a few years. Either way, no one really knew anything about him until his senior year. He makes the All-Star game between the City and Long Island which is played in June after his senior year, and he dominates the line of scrimmage winning the MVP. After that game SU lands him and a month or so later Bromley is playing at SU as a true freshman. As a sophomore he is a starter. He could end up being drafted into the NFL.

My guess is that Marrone has always believed NYC would be a huge resource for recruiting because he grew up in the City. If football talent is a numbers game in any way then NYC is a goldmine waiting to be developed.
Growing up in the Bronx like Marrone, I assume he's seen the same thing I've seen for years: lots of really terrific athletes who could probably be developed into very good football players if they were just given the opportunity to play organized ball. New York kids love football but the vast majority of them limit their playing experience to two-hand touch in the street or tackle w/ no pads in the park.

Just playing lots of pick-up and rec league basketball throughout the city, I used to marvel at some of the really gifted, large, fast, hi-flying athletes that I'd go up against who were, at best, average or talented but limited basketball players. But many of them could've probably been fantastic football players if the city was just more conducive to developing football talent. I have a buddy named Bear who's 6'4, roughly 300lbs, who won a city championship as a power forward on Kenny Anderson's Archbishop Malloy team. This guy was cat-quick, fast and had good hops but was just an "okay" basketball player. I always tell him, "you coulda been in the NFL, man." And he knows it too but Malloy didn't have a football team so he never played the sport other than two-hand touch in the street.

But there is a silver lining: I see far more youth football programs nowadays than compared to when I was a coming up. Kids are playing organized football much more than they did in the 80's and 90's, especially "in the 'hood" so to speak. There are now field turf football fields and little league football programs all over Harlem, the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn that just weren't there back in the day. The NFL has had a lot to do w/ that. And now finally some of these young athletes are getting a chance to grow up playing organized football, which bodes well for NYC producing more D1 football players going forward.

That's why Marrone's strategy of mining the city for talent as well as Dr. Gross' decision to market SU as "NY's college team" are both brilliant and I believe will pay tremendous dividends for years to come. When the wins start mounting and the program really takes off, I can really see a day when kids in the city (and in the 'burbs of LI and Westchester, etc.) will grow up wanting to play for Syracuse the way kids in Texas or Pennsylvania grow up wanting to play for UT or Penn St.

Now all we need are the W's. The seeds have been strategically planted.

That wasn't Jimmy Johnson, that was Howard Schnellenberger. Get the Patron Saint of College Football's name right.
Hey Czar: WATCH THE ESPN 30/30 just saying...

GO ORANGE !

Hey Czar: WATCH THE ESPN 30/30 just saying...

GO ORANGE !

I did, where the do you think I got this information from? It was Schnellenberger dude.

Schnellenberger revolutionized recruiting South Florida high school talent by building a metaphorical "fence around Miami" and recruiting only the "State of South Florida." His eye for talent in this area led to many programs around the nation paying greater attention to south Florida high school prospects. Under his "State of Miami" plan, Schnellenberger's teams took the best from the three-county area around the city, went after the state's best, then aimed at targets among the nation's elite recruits; it became a model of how to recruit in college football.

Marrone is borrowing from the Schnellenberger playbook dude.

I did, where the **** do you think I got this information from? It was Schnellenberger dude.

Based on the film you guys are referring too, it was definitely Schnellenberger that started heavily recruiting South Florida. In the film, he notes that his staff referred to it as the State of Miami. That doesnt mean that Jimmy Johnson didnt do the same thing, but it was Schnellenberger that turned the program around with that recruiting strategy.

I did, where the **** do you think I got this information from? It was Schnellenberge dude.

I watched the show. I thought it was Coker.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I did, where the **** do you think I got this information from? It was Schnellenberger dude.

Million Pardons Heir Czar.
GO ORANGE !

Its pretty awesome watching Marrones vision starting to work. He is making NYC a strong hold and we are closer and closer to getting the best athletes the state has to offer. I think if we can grab Ebenezer and Edwards it will officially mark a breakthrough in recruiting. Love the strategy