Is JB worth 5 million a year? | Syracusefan.com

Is JB worth 5 million a year?

jr4750

All American
Does anyone think JB is worth 5 million a year? You can tell from the CNN interview and his recent comments on his contract he's looking at K's, Cal, Pitino, etc., contacts and getting a little offended. If Hop leaves and Jimmy starts to push to be compensated more heavily, which he deserves, and for more years, what do you do? Now the future is uncertain and JB is 70 years old. Does Jimmy start to become a bit selfish, he's been absolutely selfless his entire tenure thus far. Just an interesting dilemma. How bad does recruiting suffer, with Hop gone, and no successor on the bench? Interesting times indeed...

I love JB, he can coach for as long as he wants to.

With said, if he's complaining about compensation, his timing is a little off.

I love JB, he can coach for as long as he wants to.

With said, if he's complaining about compensation, his timing is a little off.

One year removed from a FF run? 25-0 start?

There's no credible threat that JB might actually leave so there's no reason for them to up his salary. That's a major reason he is so underpaid compared to other major coaches. The AD's at Florida and Louisville have to be concerned that their guy might just leave for a bigger check elsewhere.

One year removed from a FF run? 25-0 start?

And the team chemistry was poor on top of that but he managed to get us to 25-0 no consistant isolation guy, no true lockdown defender up top, gbinije didn't blossom the way we hoped, Dajuan out for the season, Baye never tried to put the strength on and grant had mono which caused him to lose weight. And on top of that Ennis was just a freshmen in terms of scoring not in terms of pg leadership and we needed scoring.

JB is a good recruiter, its tough to tell who is going to be able to lead coming out of high school, who is going to have a quick release and pull up under pressure. He is getting kids with huge upside which is a no brainer. He lost 3 starting centers on two 1 seeded teams the last 6 years in march.

He has got us to the acc already a stable conference with great history, and just added louisville pitt, notre dame on top of it. He is doing awesome. Don't rate jb on what he has done, or compare him to other coahces.

Rate him on what he is capable of doing (and that is ALOT). This is college basketball all teams lose in close games. And all the blueblood teams have rebuilding years. Jb hasn't had one of those in 7 years, and yes next year has a shot at being the first one in awhile so be patient. He is developing 5-6 of shooters which really bodes well.

Last edited:
There's a big difference between JB and the other coaches listed there..

I said in another post I'm cool with him coaching as long as he wants, im not trying to bash, but he's not in that class right now.

There's no credible threat that JB might actually leave so there's no reason for them to up his salary. That's a major reason he is so underpaid compared to other major coaches. The AD's at Florida and Louisville have to be concerned that their guy might just leave for a bigger check elsewhere.

New York Knicks

:)

There's a big difference between JB and the other coaches listed there..

I said in another post I'm cool with him coaching as long as he wants, im not trying to bash, but he's not in that class right now.

I don't know if you realize this but we started 25-0. And we filled our arena to beat a team that lost to a mid major. Plus we played a reeeaaaly long game once.

if JB wasn't mad as ahab chasing those W's i thought manhattan would have been a great place to wind down a career.

Don't rate JB on what he has done or what other top coaches have done. Rate him on what he is capable of doing.
That might not be a old ucla john wooden ceiling, but 2-4 titles and a few 1-4 seeds are in the realm of possibility.

No one else makes 5 million, so no, hell no. He's not getting a 100% increase in salary.

No one else makes 5 million, so no, hell no. He's not getting a 100% increase in salary.

Five coaches currently make 5+mil a year. Izzo is at 3.7 mil, Billy D the same. JB is currently 18, behind people like Kevin Stallings, he's drastically underpaid, and could push SU hard. His leverage is not super strong I agree, but without Hopkins, SU loses a little leverage themselves.

Jb isn't going to push at this stage for more $$$. He just isn't. Two silly posts here. one, that JB should take the Manhatten job to wind down? Really? Who would do that? Second, he has done a lot more than gone 25-0 and played a really long game once. For those of us that we here before jb was the coach, a lot more.

Jb isn't going to push at this stage for more $$$. He just isn't. Two silly posts here. one, that JB should take the Manhatten job to wind down? Really? Who would do that? Second, he has done a lot more than gone 25-0 and played a really long game once. For those of us that we here before jb was the coach, a lot more.

That was exaggeration on my part. I realize he did more than that, but listing 25-0 as some major achievement rings a little hollow when you consider what followed immediately after.

I don't agree with every coaching move Jim Boeheim makes but when you think about everything about everything he has done for Syracuse and its basketball program, he is worth far more to SU than he has ever been paid. The guy built Syracuse into an elite national hoops program and whoever replaces him will have to deal with fan expectations that will be almost impossible to meet.

Boeheim is going to turn seventy late this year and I'm just glad he has stayed at Syracuse this long. It is impossible to predict what is going to happen in the future so lets just enjoy this as long as he is here.

I'm all for Boeheim getting enough money from SU so he can stop doing commercials for extra cash.

Following up a 25-0 start with 3-6 and failing to get past the first weekend is poor timing, in my opinion.

If we're talking one year ago, then it's totally different.
How many teams did SU go to the wire and either lost or won by the skin of their teeth? And according to BB aficionados, SU had superior athletes. The vaunted zone and no Offense (partially to blame-no shooters) kept many under talented teams in the game. This was not a stellar year for JAB, Regardless of the 25-0.

If JB wants more money from the school he will get it, period. If anyone thinks Gross is going to let himself be the AD that let Jim Boehiem retire because of money you are out of your freaking mind. Not saying JB wants more money or will even ask for it but if he did the school would cut a check faster then anti Cooney thread popping up here after a loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom