Is MCW our next... | Syracusefan.com

Is MCW our next...

jasjr

Walk On
Melo. Melo comes in his freshmen year keeps getting better throughout the year and leads the team to a Championship. MCW, in his first year as a starter, keeps getting better and is playing like he CAN lead this team all the way again. Will it happen? Do you see the same similarities I do?

He is playing with a ton of confidence right now.

Not seeing many similarities at all. Except they are both great players. (Who are different positions, age, year in school, etc)

I see what you're saying. But I don't think MCW at his best is better than Melo when he was mediocre. Melo was a once in a quarter century landing for a program.

IF he finishes I think the comparisons will be made...not saying he will, but I am starting to see it.

OP is right about Melo improving over the course of the year and MCW is showing the same, maybe larger improvement. Difference is MCW started at a much lower point than Melo.

Not going to get into unfair comparisons. But I love how MCW is playing. In two weeks, he went from "just another Donte Greene" to having an awesome Cuse legacy. He is playing so under control, and I can't think of one shot he has forced. So easy to see why he will be a lottery pick. With all that he's been through recently, I can't be happier for the kid.

Not quite Melo, but this Marquette game showed something. Only 1 trey try, but made. 8 rebounds (as of now; other sources say more). 6 assists to 1 turnover. 5 steals. And a block, I think. And some of his passes were for shots that really should have been made more often by others. He could have been in triple-double territory.

Melo was polished from the start, and opposing players seemed to react differently when he put the ball on the floor. I'd love to see MCW elicit that while still in a SU uniform. Cracking that subconscious barrier in opponents is a toughie, and few can pull it off (Dion seemed to be that last).

What do you guys think about this theory? And is it a nature or nurture thing?

Not going to say I called it because it's still too early, but during one of the boring December games and after multiple bud lights I told my buddy that he was going to leave Syracuse the way Melo did. Thought I was going to eat my words for a while.

Not quite Melo, but this Marquette game showed something. Only 1 trey try, but made. 8 rebounds (as of now; other sources say more). 6 assists to 1 turnover. 5 steals. And a block, I think. And some of his passes were for shots that really should have been made more often by others. He could have been in triple-double territory.

Melo was polished from the start, and opposing players seemed to react differently when he put the ball on the floor. I'd love to see MCW elicit that while still in a SU uniform. Cracking that subconscious barrier in opponents is a toughie, and few can pull it off (Dion seemed to be that last).

What do you guys think about this theory? And is it a nature or nurture thing?
I think other teams will now start reacting differently based upon his recent performances. Others will now have more space on the floor.
His nurturing is over. Nature and his abilities are now taking over.

I was always high on MCW ever since the first time he touched the floor as a freshman, and I still believe he'll be a better pro than a college player.

I sent in a question to Brent Axe during one of his Q&A's after the Big East Tournament saying something along the lines of "I know it may not seem like it with the way we collapsed down the stretch against Louisville, but I think we just got done watching MCW make the transformation from a good PG to a floor general. I think he's finally figured the game out and is putting it all together. Am I crazy?"

Axe agreed that he thought I was onto something. Today, I feel like maybe I wasn't so crazy. I truly think he's at worst the 2nd best PG in the country right now if not #1.

I was always high on MCW ever since the first time he touched the floor as a freshman, and I still believe he'll be a better pro than a college player.

I sent in a question to Brent Axe during one of his Q&A's after the Big East Tournament saying something along the lines of "I know it may not seem like it with the way we collapsed down the stretch against Louisville, but I think we just got done watching MCW make the transformation from a good PG to a floor general. I think he's finally figured the game out and is putting it all together. Am I crazy?"

Axe agreed that he thought I was onto something. Today, I feel like maybe I wasn't so crazy. I truly think he's at worst the 2nd best PG in the country right now if not #1.
It wasn't entirely clear because the rest of the team wasn't playing that well. Once everyone else started playing better, it was evident that MCW had become a pretty darn good PG.

The road will be different, but lets hope the end result is the same