Is the AAC a mid major conference ? | Syracusefan.com

Is the AAC a mid major conference ?

I would think so. Definitely see teams like UConn mid majors at this point.
I think to be fair, you have to wait till next year to say that. Once Louisville leaves, the AAC loses it's flagship program. Now, I respect Cinn and UConn as programs that have over come a lot. Cinn was stuck in conference USA for years. Calhoun rose UConn from the bottom of the dregs of the Big East conference. But at the end of the day, If you aren't in a power conference, you are mid major. I will say this. I like the grit that the UConn team is playing with this year. I just hope the Huskie fans will enjoy this while it lasts. It won't last long.

I think to be fair, you have to wait till next year to say that. Once Louisville leaves, the AAC loses it's flagship program. Now, I respect Cinn and UConn as programs that have over come a lot. Cinn was stuck in conference USA for years. Calhoun rose UConn from the bottom of the dregs of the Big East conference. But at the end of the day, If you aren't in a power conference, you are mid major. I will say this. I like the grit that the UConn team is playing with this year. I just hope the Huskie fans will enjoy this while it lasts. It won't last long.
They remind me of a mid major this year. But next year they officially become a mid major.

Memphis will still be around though. Its basically CUSA + UConn. Its going to be at the same competitive level as conferences like A-10, MVC, and MWC. There will be years where things go right and they are on par with one or two power conferences. but they will almost always be a tier below.

I would think so. Definitely see teams like UConn mid majors at this point.
Watch out for those crafty mid majors, though. They just might upset someone and get to the round of 32.
cusetown: watch out!

I don't think its really fair to lump conferences like the AAC with all the other conferences.

The gap between the Big East, AAC, A-10, MwC, and MVC, vs most of the other conferences, is quite large. I view these as second tier conferences. These conferences are actually closer to the level of power conferences vs the bottom 10 conferences in basketball.

I view college basketball from a conference perspective as at least three tiers, and possibly four tiers. There are a handful of conferences that are always a fair deal worse (especially the SWAC)

jncuse said:
I don't think its really fair to lump conferences like the AAC with all the other conferences. The gap between the Big East, AAC, A-10, MwC, and MVC, vs most of the other conferences, is quite large. I view these as second tier conferences. These conferences are actually closer to the level of power conferences vs the bottom 10 conferences in basketball. I view college basketball from a conference perspective as at least three tiers, and possibly four tiers. There are a handful of conferences that are always a fair deal worse (especially the SWAC)

Love the swac

Love the swac

I think you may be the only one!! There fans don't even want to see them in November and December.

As an entire conference, they only play a couple of games at home during the OOC vs other D1 schools. Most schools just travel around and get their ass kicked in November and December.

Marsh nailed it - it's Conference USA. So, whatever you thought about that conference (which for most wasn't much at all) is what you should view the AAC going forward once Louisville leaves.

It's a pretty sad group of schools. Definitely mid-major.

What CUSA are you comparing it to? The one from 2012/2013 or the one prior to the Big East sweep in 2003?

The pre-2003 one was fairly good, getting 4 or 5 teams in the tourney a number of times, IIRC. Louisville, Cincy, DePaul (had some decent teams back then in some years), Marquette, Charlotte (made the tourney a number of times), Memphis.

Its not as strong as that right now once Louisville leaves.

jncuse said:
I think you may be the only one!! There fans don't even want to see them in November and December. As an entire conference, they only play a couple of games at home during the OOC vs other D1 schools. Most schools just travel around and get their ass kicked in November and December.

There are other swac diehards.

I guess I don't understand why the distinction matters. It's not like mid-majors start out with the score 0-10 or only get 4 fouls or something. Mid-majors, by the above definitions, accounted for 22 of the top 49 seeds in the tournament last year. (There were 5 #11 seeds.) Some places, like Creighton, BYU, Gonzaga, etc.. have rabid fan bases and take basketball more seriously than 95% of D1 programs.

Edit: I would add that that is the beauty of college basketball. Unlike in football where everything is pre-ordained in favor of Goliath, in basketball you actually have to prove your worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom