Is the B1G really the prime mover in conference realignment? | Syracusefan.com

Is the B1G really the prime mover in conference realignment?

HtownOrange

Living Legend
Much has been said over the last few yeas about how the B1G was the prime mover behind conference expansion. I have thought this, at least from time to time. However, Delaney is not the all powerful grand poobah we all were told he was. Although his ideals were probably as good as you can get, he has not materialized his ideals as well as he may have wanted to.
A quick analysis:
Schools that have been rumored to have been serious B1G targets (an analysis was done and about 12-20 were reportedly to be of value to the BTN):
Texas
TAMU
Nebraska
Kansas
UNC
UVA
GATech
Miami
FSU
Syracuse
Pitt
Maryland
Rutgers
UConn
Colorado
Mizzou
Duke
Schools that have joined the B1G in recent years:
Nebraska
Maryland
Rutgers
Schools that have rejected B1G overtures:
Colorado
Texas
TAMU
Mizzou
UNC
UVA
Duke
GATech
Miami
FSU
It remains unclear whether Oklahoma was considered by the B1G, but when one considers they are academic equivalents of Nebraska and bring a better history in football and hoops that they are an option.
Kansas may want the B1G but it is difficult for them to leave the Big 12 unless UT and/or OU leave at the same time.
I think Syracuse and/or Pitt would have gone to the B1G if an invite had arrived prior to the ACC's invite. Both had votes, but not enough. If I recall, Mizzou and Kansas were also in that group.
My point is that if the B1G was THE PRIME MOVER they should have secured more of the highly desired schools (Nebraska, Texas, TAMU, OU, FSU, Miami) than one. Also, they had opportunities at all others but did not secure any until late in the game.
This begs the questions: If the B1G can make the alleged $30MM - $40MM with Rutgers and Maryland and money is the real reason teams move, then why didn't Texas and/or TAMU jump with anyone else? Why didn't UNC, UVA, GATech, FSU, Miami, Syracuse, Colorado, Mizzou, Pitt, OU, et al, jump?
Specifically, Texas has a greater population than NJ and Maryland combined and with either UT, TAMU or both, a greater penetration in cable.
Florida is like Texas and has more people than both NJ and MD commbined and FSU has a better penetration.
Syracuse locks up Upstate NY, roughly equal in population to NJ, more than Maryland, and allows NYC penetration. Plus they already work with the YES network and Yankees organization.
Pitt locks down western PA, WV and parts of Ohio and Kentucky.
NC, GA and VA have populations greater than NJ and far greater than Maryland.
That being said, money, and the B1G, do not appear to be the only reason most schools realign.

Mizzou did not reject an offer - they wanted into the B1G badly.

Maybe true, but I have never before heard of B1G interest in T&M

Mizzou did not reject an offer - they wanted into the B1G badly.

Maybe true, but I have never before heard of B1G interest in T&M

I consider Mizzou's acceptance of the SEC invite as a rejection of B1G overtures. Same with Pitt and Syracuse, by joing the ACC, they are cutting off negotiations/discussions with the B1G. To be clear, I did not state that the schools rejected offers, but, rather, they rejected overtures.

The B1G would have taken TAMU, they match up very well in academics and research. Part of one offer to Texas was that TAMU could come, too. This was previous to the PAC 12 dance.

I concede that the B1G would be very interested in TAMU as part of a Texas package. Mizzou, they just proved that begging harder rarely works - Rutgers being the exception. Actually, it is kind of inexplicable -- why would the B1G prefer Rutgers over Mizzou? The only two things I can think of are a) more B1G alumni on the east coast than in St. Louis and KC, and b) MD wanted Rutgers.

The major B1G jilter is ND. Everyone else was/is just a passing fancy.

How do you know which schools rejected B10 offers or even who they offered?

Sent using my Commodore 64

Any team in the B12 not named Tejas that would pass on the B1G or SEC or PAC right now is crazy.

How do you know which schools rejected B10 offers or even who they offered?

You're right, Bees, we don't actually "know", as in a court ruled upon matter, or Congressional declaration, or notarized affidavits from Jim Delaney. I was using the generally accepted/suspected schools. I do think it safe to assume that Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland were included in the B1G review (which the B1G acknowledged did take place). Reason dictates that there were some schools that were considered as they are more desirable than Rutgers or Maryland. However, if you prefer more proof, define what you want, if I can find it, I will link it, much of it has been linked before.

You're right, Bees, we don't actually "know", as in a court ruled upon matter, or Congressional declaration, or notarized affidavits from Jim Delaney. I was using the generally accepted/suspected schools. I do think it safe to assume that Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland were included in the B1G review (which the B1G acknowledged did take place). Reason dictates that there were some schools that were considered as they are more desirable than Rutgers or Maryland. However, if you prefer more proof, define what you want, if I can find it, I will link it, much of it has been linked before.

You don't have to find anything. I don't believe the B10 has ever said who they offered. Just rumors.

The thing that no-one has explained away is if Maryland, and Rutgers move the TV needle so well why are both schools bankrupt? If they really are that sought after, they should have been able to sell something to the networks on their own. Just my opinion, but I believe after poaching Nebraska from the Big 12, they figured ok we have plenty of time to integrate them into the Big 10, before our next move. After all you had to go back to 2003 when the ACC first struck for previous conference movement. What happened next to the Big 10 caught them by surprise, Texas A@M, Missouri to the SEC, West Virginia, TCU to the Big 12, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Notre Dame to the ACC. They found themselves in a position where if they didn't do something, it would appear they were totally taken by surprise. That would explain why they would take 2 schools which are in large areas, where pro teams are the main sports entertainment, and college an afterthought.

You don't have to find anything. I don't believe the B10 has ever said who they offered. Just rumors.

That's what I meant when I stated the "generally accepted/suspected schools."

There are many other reports on UT and TAMU to the B1G, yes speculation, but considered very serious at the time here in Texas. Boosters and alumni I spoke with were split on it. As the other Texas residents for their anecdotal info.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...e-oklahoma-working-to-join-sec/1#.UTa1_lebUzo
http://kentsterling.com/2010/06/10/big-ten-expansion-texas-and-texas-am-may-choose-big-ten/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom