is there a contract or a law that says we need to play tight ends? | Syracusefan.com

is there a contract or a law that says we need to play tight ends?

Millhouse

Living Legend

if it doesn't go straight to the play, it's at the 6m 18s mark

81 has gotten a lot of grief but how is it not better to just stick another wr way out knowing the someone has to cover him?

81 has gotten a lot of grief but how is it not better to just stick another wr way out knowing the someone has to cover him?

Mang wasn't merciless?

I think we were better off placing the TE next to the QB (like a RB) and catching any pass rushers in the middle vs having the TE play like a T and block the outside rush 1 v 1. But maybe they failed in practice at that too.

I think we were better off placing the TE next to the QB (like a RB) and catching any pass rushers in the middle vs having the TE play like a T and block the outside rush 1 v 1. But maybe they failed in practice at that too.
your post assumes that the choices have to include a TE

there's one less guy you have to catch in the middle if you force them to cover a guy way the hell out there

your post assumes that the choices have to include a TE

there's one less guy you have to catch in the middle if you force them to cover a guy way the hell out there

Our blocking is that bad that it makes it hard to get the pass off. Normally we could use a RB instead of a TE but for some reason we never tried that, which leads me to believe that none of our RBs could pick up a pass rusher.

The inability for whoever was in the backfield to catch or block killed a ton of plays., Some teams have 3-4 guys they use in sets and we cant find 1. And i dont know that Elmore was really the answer either. We tried the OL as a TE and that didnt go well either.

Hey Millhouse , is it true we only average 323 ypg at home?

Yikes

Looks like we were 99th in ypg - what's your take on that?

Absolutely agree and asked Dino that very question on his show earlier in the year. Why try to block them with ineffective TE's when you can just spread them out more w/ an extra WR? He agreed that could be an option, but Mang and Hoeh kept playing (until they finally stopped w/ the Hoeh experiment last week). I'm hoping Villari can be our TE next year. He's physical and athletic and looked like he can catch the ball on that one pass they threw him earlier in the year.

Last edited:
I
Absolutely agree and asked Dino that very question on his show earlier in the year. Why try to block them when you can just spread them out more? He agreed that could be an option, but Mang and Hoeh kept playing (until they finally stopped w/ the Hoeh experiment last week). I'm hoping Villari can be our TE next year. He's physical and athletic and looked like he can catch the ball on that one pass they threw him earlier in the year.
I will do a rewatch tonight when everyone else is asleep. I will be watching Villari closely. I remember thinking where did we get 89 he looks ok.

Maybe because after the first 2 or 3 that we play nobody else threatens the defense, so they figured having an extra guy available to block was better than an extra guy in the pattern, after they kept playing man and blitzing us to tune of 4 sacks in the first quarter. We need to be able to block better with just our oline while having more threats available out in the pattern.

Those Oiler run and shoot teams didn’t have TEs if I recall.

Our blocking is that bad that it makes it hard to get the pass off. Normally we could use a RB instead of a TE but for some reason we never tried that, which leads me to believe that none of our RBs could pick up a pass rusher.
Yeah tuck is not a great blocker bye any means. I don’t really get it either.

Maybe because after the first 2 or 3 that we play nobody else threatens the defense, so they figured having an extra guy available to block was better than an extra guy in the pattern, after they kept playing man and blitzing us to tune of 4 sacks in the first quarter. We need to be able to block better with just our oline while having more threats available out in the pattern.
I think with Gadson, adams, jones when back, Alford, and Hatcher, we should be able to spread them out and do mor rpo than we have. I do know with the option that Garrett isn’t always good at reading. I do think the number should be about 75 percent on his reads and I think he was about 40 percent. We used to pass off of that with Dungey. Hoping it’s something we can add. God we need a stud te.

I think Shrader at the end was just picking his spots to run and less reading the play to run. ran into some bad spots and missed some huge holes the last few games.

Because Syracuse is Private, they are under no obligation to disclose the contractual terms of their tight end usage to the public.
Especially if the reporter asking the question is in the 5'2 range

This assumes that the defense wouldn't respond

We can't block so let's bring an extra guy to block

Oh wait now they can send an extra guy of their own and now our extra guy is just a guy

I think we would have been better off in most seats going with 2 backs and then at least release one, but the hope I guess we could at least run a little out of those sets but that often failed as well.

This assumes that the defense wouldn't respond

We can't block so let's bring an extra guy to block

Oh wait now they can send an extra guy of their own and now our extra guy is just a guy
Yeah, I'm assuming the coaching staff is more comfortable with that scenario. That and the defense is already bringing extra guys because they they feel like they can man up on who we have. If receivers aren't a big enough threat to keep safeties back to help the corners, they may just be a liability.