Is there a fix??? | Syracusefan.com

Is there a fix???

netman99

Scout Team
Just curious what people think what will be needed to turn this around. Assuming they do turn it around. JB has tried almost every combination imagineable. I know he was forced to start Gillon and Howard against Georgetown because Battle had not practiced, but that backourt surely showed little promise. The only positives I see so far is the play of DC on the offensive end and TT is more productive than I expected. I am more concerned on the offensive end because the D always seems to start slow and improve as the season goes on. With so many new players this year the D needs even more time.
On the offence, we need SOMEONE to step up at the point. I feel that is the most obvious problem I just dont know if Gillon or Frank have it in them. Both can break down the defense and penetrate but neither can finish!!! It would also help bigtime of Roby came out of his funk...

Just curious what people think what will be needed to turn this around. Assuming they do turn it around. JB has tried almost every combination imagineable. I know he was forced to start Gillon and Howard against Georgetown because Battle had not practiced, but that backourt surely showed little promise. The only positives I see so far is the play of DC on the offensive end and TT is more productive than I expected. I am more concerned on the offensive end because the D always seems to start slow and improve as the season goes on. With so many new players this year the D needs even more time.
On the offence, we need SOMEONE to step up at the point. I feel that is the most obvious problem I just dont know if Gillon or Frank have it in them. Both can break down the defense and penetrate but neither can finish!!! It would also help bigtime of Roby came out of his funk...
The way I see it is that one of the big issues is consistency on offense. We've had a number of guys with 15 or 20+ points in a game only to follow up with a poor offensive performance in their next game. How can anyone blame the coaches when the performance on the court is the way it is. I'm not one to badmouth any of these kids (and if you look at Gillon's recent twitter posts he agrees) but hopefully Lydon has jump started his game and others will follow. It's almost embarrassing right now how inconsistent it is.

I feel like we are too quick to take the three. Need to work it more inside and try and generate some interior game. The three is there for us, we struggle closer to the basket. Just opinion, no stats to back it up.

I don't see a turnaround. We are who we are. One of those years, imo. Dug ourselves a massive hole and we play some really hard games in the ACC.

Much better pg play, the chemistry to be a hell of a lot better, the problem is the damage is done, we have already lost 4 games, going into a brutal Acc, baring a miracle, we have little chance to see our name on selection sunday.

Guard play is the missing piece right now by far. There are a few defensive lapses but that will improve -hopefully- throughout the season. Gillion has trouble seeing over the defense, and his inability to finish under the rim is frightening. Now sure how many he missed , but had he made the majority of them we would have won the game. But the blame doesn't lay solely on his shoulders. Howard has to seriously expand his vision. He often tries to drive, but when his plan is closed off to him, and he is unable to recover because he forgets where his teammates are at. A lot of this is due to size, the bigger teams will close in on him and cut off his vision along with his route to the basket. Against the smaller teams it is no problem, he just looks over them and finds the open guy. But if he is going to drive the lane he needs to do one of three things-finish the drive, stop and pop, or dish to an open teammate because he drew the defender away from him. Unfortunately I don't think this is a short term fix, unless he is told to stop driving the lane. But the result is simply passing the ball around the perimeter hoping someone will take the shot. Installing some good cutters into the offense will help here, something Roberson and Battle should be able to bring to the table easily, should help. But let's see what the coaches have in mind...they surely have a plan-they always do. We will get better. But unless our guard play gets a ton better...

Get the ball out of our point guards' hands as soon as possible. Try to see if we can run an offense around a forward or center with the ball near the foul line (like teams do against zone, but do it regardless of defense). Treat the point guards like shooting guards and see if they can get open for 3's. Hope for the best.

That's my fix.

I don't think so. I've tried to remain as positive as possible over the last 10 games but the losses to uconn and gtown were brutal. Those are BAD teams. There was a play in the second with Howard when he was dribbling laterally and threw the pass 5 feet from target out of bounds. If I didn't know better I would ressurect the point shaving thread.

Bad news is no, there is not a single fix. Good news is that while there are multiple issues they can all be addressed with the current personnel. Dial back the Final Four talk but this is still a team that can win 20 - 22 games including enough signature wins in conference to get to the dance and have a realistic shot at being a Sweet Sixteen team.

I. Interior defense - Terrible so far but a number of options for improvement. DC knows the zone, generally plays position D well and has the physical stature and strength to body with bigger post players. He is not a consummate rim protector or shot blocker and doesn't react particularly well to the wings but he can be a solid presence. TT has the athleticism and length to be a plus defender in the middle. While he could use more bulk, I think he could make up for it with quickness. At this point, though, he is lost in the middle. Needs to learn how to defend the high post without giving up the low and how to rotate effectively laterally to help out on baseline extended. Worst case, Lydon can give us effective minutes in the middle. Proved it last year and while not ideal he provides at least a competent stop gap.

II. Rebounding - Stunning how poorly we have performed in this area. Individually this should be a strength of this team. Coleman and Roberson can rebound with anyone. They need to be on the court with more regularity but they need to produce when they are out there. Chicken - egg thing I guess. Thompson and Lydon have the size and quickness to be very effective at both ends of the court. White, Battle and Howard bring size to the backcourt and White, particularly has shown the ability to be a strong rebounder. Yes, I know that the zone makes it more difficult to seal and block out but to me effective rebounding is an effort and focus driven activity and it is sorely lacking up until now.

III. Cohesion on offense - Toughest to address but the optimist will say this is a function of so many new pieces struggling to work together. Half court seemed to be settling for the three too much early on. There looks to be more of a focus on driving to the hoop in recent games, but Gillon is the best at this and can't finish, Frank is woefully inconsistent and Battle hasn't really taken up the mantle yet. Will be interesting to see if he is given an opportunity to run the offense in the next few games. Remember he was originally recruited as a one. Let's see what he can do. The biggest disappointment has been the transition game. Team was advertised as a throwback to the open court running style that personified Cuse hoops in the late 80s and 90s. Opportunities have been limited by poor defense and rebounding but in the rare cases we get out in the open court there is virtually no ball movement. One guy driving to the basket. Noticed in recent games that in dead ball situations there is almost no interaction between players on the court. Chemistry is an abstract concept and often overrated but this seems to be a textbook case of how its absence can kill a team. Winning helps, playing well helps and I think this is something that can snowball. Time will tell.

Drink more or turn off your TV.

JB bet the house that Howard would turn the corner this year and could run the point. He can't. Neither can Gillon. They'd better find some guards for next year some how some way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom