Is there a more overrated player in the US than Peyton Siva? | Syracusefan.com

Is there a more overrated player in the US than Peyton Siva?

jekelish

Living Legend
Not taking away from Ville at all, as they are an excellent team. And Siva is a fine player. But how on earth does he get so much recognition from the talking heads?

He's just not that good. He's small, he seems to be easily taken out of games, and it isn't like he's a guy who is suddenly going to erupt for 5 threes on a given night. Nothing against him personally, because again, he's a fine player, but the fact that he's considered a top player is laughable.

Not taking away from Ville at all, as they are an excellent team. And Siva is a fine player. But how on earth does he get so much recognition from the talking heads?

He's just not that good. He's small, he seems to be easily taken out of games, and it isn't like he's a guy who is suddenly going to erupt for 5 threes on a given night. Nothing against him personally, because again, he's a fine player, but the fact that he's considered a top player is laughable.

Because he's flashy.

And because Louisville has more talent than their opponent 99% of the time and win a lot, which doesn't expose Siva's flaws.

Tell that to Florida International!

Kidding aside, defense is way underrated in all sports except football imo.

He's a good player, just not as effective against our zone. His strength is his speed and driving the lanes. Just not enough room for him to operate.

Its sort of a product of him being easily identifiable and having been a household name among BB fans since he was a freshmen.

He also has a very good team around him though so there is no reason for him to try and take over and score more.

He's quick and fun to watch ... I like watching him when he's not playing us.

I agree but he had a good BET last year and a decent NCAA tourney.

He's a good player, just not as effective against our zone. His strength is his speed and driving the lanes. Just not enough room for him to operate.

Very good post. He excels as a transition guard. In most games, l'ville is getting turnovers / runouts that play to his strength of distributing on the fast break. He struggles immensely to execute half court offensive sets, which exacerbates his risk taking / gambling / questionable decision making and lack of consistent outside shooting.

There's one imporant point being overlooked here.
Siva's offensive game is getting in the lane and making teams pay.
We did a GREAT job of keeping him out of the lane...except for a couple of plays in the last 2:30.
Our defense deserves a lot of credit for his performance today.
Not many teams could do that.

Very good post. He excels as a transition guard. In most games, l'ville is getting turnovers / runouts that play to his strength of distributing on the fast break.

It's like Chris Paul. Hard to argue that he's not the best PG in the NBA. However, when he matches up against Deron Williams, he gets out played due to the physical size difference. Same when Siva plays against big guards like MCW and BT. Plus Louisville didn't get a chance to press as much due to only shooting 40%.

His weakness is his outside shooting and it showed today. He cant drive against our defense and we really bottled him up today. I was praying he would keep shooting.

Actually I think it was last year that he toar up the zone but got 3 fouls in the 1st half. It was Patino made the best defensive play by leaving him on the bench for an extended period of time to begin the 2nd half. by the the time he got back in he was ice cold and out of rythem. the 2nd game had a similar thing. Somebody here yesterday did mention that for the Ville, no game is safe with Siva in the game.

I refuse to pile on because it was many of you knuckleheads who thought James Harden was awful after he had a bad game against Cuse 3-4 years ago... How'd he turn out as a pro, I forget???

EDIT: after reviewing the thread, I see PoppyHart beat me to the punch by 12 mins... My bad

Siva is one of the quickest guards in the country. Guy is jet powered. He just has problems against our zone which takes away his penetration.

Siva has always been bad lol at comparing him to Harden

Best Syracuse zone I've seen since we joined the Big East and we began watching the Cuse teams. By far. Our guards could not find the lane at all, whereas, your guards were successful 40% of the time at best, lol. 2 hellacious defenses. Actually, that was a lot of points as well, considering, so both offenses had some amazing plays.

Fun stuff.