Is this the worst NCAA Tournament ever? | Syracusefan.com

Is this the worst NCAA Tournament ever?

EastCoast2

Board Mathematician
No major, headline upsets so far, no crazy/inspirational/redemption storylines. Just Coach K, Williams, Bennett, Calipari, Izzo, Beilein, etc. on a collision course. Feels like November basketball.

Just sit back and watch today sir

The 2014, 2011, 2010, 2005 and 1991 tournaments were worse.

But it really has been boring. A few exciting games that ended with boring winners. A corrupt program like LSU thriving. A truly disgusting school like Falwell U getting the Cinderella treatment.

2011 was just horrific.

I don’t even remember who UConn beat in 2014. I probably wasn’t watching because I couldn’t get past how horrible those games in 2011 were.

I believe the level of play this year has been fantastic. The three point shooting has improved across the board, and the pace of play has been much faster than previous years. I've really enjoyed watching all the games this year because I feel like the teams are just better than we've seen in awhile.

I wouldn't know as I stopped watching after SU lost. Usually the tournament sums up what you saw during the regular season. If the play is bad it's just a carry over.

2011 was just horrific.

I don’t even remember who UConn beat in 2014. I probably wasn’t watching because I couldn’t get past how horrible those games in 2011 were.

2014 storz beat Kentucky. That was the year the committee underseeded #8 Kentucky by at least two lines with the express purpose of eliminating Wichita St. in the 2nd round.

Still going through some stages of grief. Hoping Hop gives UNC all they can handle without holding my breath.

There are certain teams whose style of play I can't stand - Florida and Wisconsin OTOH.

Kentucky was a brutal watch yesterday as well.

Upsets are great except when the make the elite eight and final four filled with mediocre teams.

I love mayhem in the opening rounds, but at the end of the day I want to see good basketball in the final four. If it's all either 1s and 2s in the Final Four, I'll be fine with it.

I believe the level of play this year has been fantastic. The three point shooting has improved across the board, and the pace of play has been much faster than previous years. I've really enjoyed watching all the games this year because I feel like the teams are just better than we've seen in awhile.
30 second clock has made the game so much better

Nobody like the Butler/UConn title game? I thought that was excellent basketball...

I wasn't excited about it going in and could give a rats behind now....as others have said no "buzz" to the Big Dance this year and no big boys getting knocked off by "David" type schools hasn't helped.

Oh well......Im ready for Syracuse football anyway....and the start of baseball

When Duke is the clear favorite, and they are basically a garbage team waiting to get bailed out by refs - it’s an indicator of what a mess college basketball as a whole is. College basketball has a ton of issues they need to fix.

We were in it, even if only for a short time, so no not the all time worst tourney.

Few things that make it harder for me to watch:

-commercial breaks are too long and too frequent. The in-arena experience is absolute garbage in terms of game flow.

-do something about the incessant reviews. I’m ok if they lose 0.3 seconds because the clock didn’t stop as soon as the referee signaled the foul or as soon as the ball touched out of bounds. Can you really even measure 0.3 seconds in this context? I’d rather they reviewed shitty calls. I love that we’re going to go to the monitor to add 0.3 seconds and watch a play multiple times to get that right the whole time ignoring the fact that the ref may have blown the actual call.

-if you are going to sell that much commercial time then put a limit on the number of times you Air the same commercials. Please no more AT&T mediocre broadcaster guy and for God’s sake no more Orange Vanilla Coke. That said I’m ok seeing more of the Barkley, Samuel L and Larry Bird commercials. The Chuxedo is hilarious.

-More overlap of games please. How do you get to 6pm last night and only have 2-1/2 games in the books?

yeah I agree about the level of play - the quality of play has been unexpectedly high after trending down for quite some time now...

I would argue this is what the tournament should be, the best teams winning the games each round and the games should get better now that the teams that really shouldn't have been in the tournament are eliminated. Nothing worse than seeing a ton of double digit seeds in sweet 16 games getting blown out... and everyone still has a chance to win their bracket!

There was a HUGE difference this year between day the top 20 teams in the country and everyone else..and that's what we're seeing.. just look at the ACC for example.. after VT (5th seed in ACC) the strength of the teams fell off a cliff.

No major, headline upsets so far, no crazy/inspirational/redemption storylines. Just Coach K, Williams, Bennett, Calipari, Izzo, Beilein, etc. on a collision course. Feels like November basketball.
It's the highest rated tournament since 1991. Very Duke driven.

The biggest excitement has been watching Zion getting away with fouls. Otherwise, missing the madness. There is none.

Not even close. The lack of upsets has setup some great matchups, and potential matchups in the Elite 8. I’m looking forward to seeing the heavyweights go at it.

I feel like there have been a lot of games where I'd look at the score and say, "Oh, look! An upset is brewing!" Then, I'd switch the channel only to see the boring favorite pull away down the stretch.

So yeah... I feel your pain.