Isaiah Austin career ends due to Marfan's Syndrome | Syracusefan.com

Isaiah Austin career ends due to Marfan's Syndrome

Sad news for the kid. Tough way to lose a potentially very lucrative career. I wonder if the NCAA insurance policy covers a medical condition that is genetic in addition to an injury or condition resulting directly from NCAA play/participation.

I have to give him kudos for resisting the temptation to cover this up until after the Monday draft...

Feel really bad for the kid.
Is it surprising that this was not found sooner, like by Baylor?
Also, good that he can hopefully return and get his degree and coach.

MELOKEITH said:
Feel really bad for the kid. Is it surprising that this was not found sooner, like by Baylor? Also, good that he can hopefully return and get his degree and coach.

I hope Baylor honors his scholarship.

Hate to say it, but... he definitely should have declared last year.

There should be a NCAA rule that states that in severe cases like this that a team can go over the 13 scholarships.

If he returns to Baylor, he wouldn't count against the scholarship limit. However, Baylor is not obligated to honor his scholarship, which should be a D1 rule. Schools should be obligated to provide funding for injured/ill athletes until they graduate.

If he returns to Baylor, he wouldn't count against the scholarship limit. However, Baylor is not obligated to honor his scholarship, which should be a D1 rule. Schools should be obligated to provide funding for injured/ill athletes until they graduate.
This is a little different because Austin already voluntarily gave up his scholarship. There absolutely should not be a D1 rule that would force them to now pay for his school after he gave up his scholarship. Had he been injured or diagnosed while still under scholarship then yes. It would still be nice and good PR for them to provide some type of scholarship and keep him as part of the program.

Sounds
I hope Baylor honors his scholarship.
Sounds like Baylor is going to hire him as a coach. Coach is on record saying that that is what he hopes.
The diagnosis saved his life. Marfan almost sounds like the deadly Marburg disease. Thankfully, its not.

Really have to feel for the kid, he has so much talent, such a shame that this happened.