ISU Matt Campbell Extended | Syracusefan.com

ISU Matt Campbell Extended

Nick44

All Conference
Matt Campbell of ISU Extended through 2024. Raise plus additional $1M for staff. Huge buyout.

Is anyone keeping track so far? A bunch of major college coaches have been extended.

Love what he is doing at Iowa St they are fun to watch.

ISU has the potential to shake up the BiG (Edit Big 12) as does Purdue. Two very good coaches - better than the gopher boat rower.

Last edited:
Good for them. But I’m tired of reading about other teams extending their coaches. If you know what I mean.

I'm tired of posters thinking that this issue has not been on Wildhack's radar for a long time (not necessarily aimed at you Nick44).

I can tell you that other things have been done behind the scenes and that JW will do everything he can to extend Dino. At Dino's preference, this will not happen, if it does happen, until AFTER the season.

Good for them. But I’m tired of reading about other teams extending their coaches. If you know what I mean.

I hear you loud and clear!

I'm tired of posters thinking that this issue has not been on Wildhack's radar for a long time (not necessarily aimed at you Nick44).

I can tell you that other things have been done behind the scenes and that JW will do everything he can to extend Dino. At Dino's preference, this will not happen, if it does happen, until AFTER the season.

What do we gain by waiting? Im sure some recruits have the same fears? Wouldn't it be advantageous to announce it now and save himself and the coaches from having to discuss it with every kid they are recruiting?

I spoke with the mentor of a kid (who has over a dozen D1 Power 5 offers) here in Indianapolis yesterday, the simple fact of coaches staying and the long term stability of the program was vital to the decision at hand

Last edited:
What do we gain by waiting? Im sure some recruits have the same fears? Wouldn't it be advantageous to announce it now and save himself and the coaches from having to discuss it with every kid they are recruiting?

I spoke with the mentor of a kid (who has over a dozen D1 Power 5 offers) here in Indianapolis yesterday, the simple fact of coaches staying and the long term stability of the program was vital do the decision at hand

What are they discussing with recruits?

It's only an issue when it's a bad coach, not with a good one.

Recruits and their parents are smart enough to know that good coaches are stable until they move up. And that no extension is going to stop it.

I spoke with the mentor of a kid (who has over a dozen D1 Power 5 offers) here in Indianapolis yesterday, the simple fact of coaches staying and the long term stability of the program was vital do the decision at hand

Dino has said repeatedly that he doesn’t discuss contracts during the season. Our season ends on Dec 28th.

What are they discussing with recruits?

It's only an issue when it's a bad coach, not with a good one.

Recruits and their parents are smart enough to know that good coaches are stable until they move up. And that no extension is going to stop it.

The simple fact of knowing that the student is committing to a school for 4 years and will have the relationship with that coach and his style of play. ie an option QB committing to Georgia Tech last year and now faced with a Pro Style offense

If all things were similar when it came down to deciding between 2 schools/coaches I would guess 95% would go with the more stabile option.

How do we know something isn’t already done? Just because it hasn’t been “tweeted “ doesn’t mean something has not already been signed or agreed upon. I’ve seen plenty of agreements done behind the scenes only to be publicized when both parties are ready. I can guarantee that JW and Dino’s agent work or have worked behind the scenes to get paper in order. Of which the CFO and head of Legal at SU are also reviewing. There are allot of clauses that get reviewed. It’s not just a salary. Can take some drafts before it is ready.

The simple fact of knowing that the student is committing to a school for 4 years and will have the relationship with that coach and his style of play. ie an option QB committing to Georgia Tech last year and now faced with a Pro Style offense

If all things were similar when it came down to deciding between 2 schools/coaches I would guess 95% would go with the more stabile option.
We get it. You want him extended.

A. How do you know discussions are not currently going on?
B. See djorange's post above. Dino has said publicly he doesn't discuss contracts during the regular season.
C. Just because he said that, doesn't mean discussions aren't going on.

You don't know. I don't know. But making numerous posts saying the same thing is not going to change his mind either way. He'll stay, or he won't.

If I was a betting man, I would think ADJW has a plan in place and will make it happen.

In case you haven't looked, his 'unknown status' and 'stability' has not seemed to have hurt recruiting.