It’s not just this year we have had problems for 6 years | Syracusefan.com

It’s not just this year we have had problems for 6 years

Alsacs

Living Legend
That is the frustration.
This team is the bubble or breaking point.

I actually like a lot of pieces on this team.
This roster construction is on the head coach.
Thinking you could go into a season with Sidibe and Dolezaj as your bigs is asking for what has happened.

It’s not the players. The status quo has been to comfortable for this program.
Jim Boeheim if he wants this to turn around needs to actually make some changes. I doubt he will. So I expect we will continue playing like we have the last 6 years till Buddy graduates.

We did recruit other bigs.

Stewart
Cockburn
Wahab

They just didn't want to come here.

It would be nice to get our 1st choice for a change instead of our 3rd or 4th choice.
Maybe if we hired a guy like Troy weaver instead of staying in the family, we might have landed one of those big guys. Do we get Melo with this staff? Of course not.

I am grateful for what JB has done for the program but that doesn’t mean he should be able to hold it hostage. If he doesn’t retire after this year (his 44th btw), he should be forced to fire his entire staff. Change is needed.

I am grateful for what JB has done for the program but that doesn’t mean he should be able to hold it hostage. If he doesn’t retire after this year (his 44th btw), he should be forced to fire his entire staff. Change is needed.
No ass't anywhere in the country, will want to come here now. Jb is entering his final couple of years. there is no job security. A new coach comes in and he will bring in his people.

The major concern IMO , is why didn’t they want to come here ? This isn’t one or two players, it’s a trend.

No doubt, especially when any of those higher rated 5 guys could have stepped right in as a frosh and taken over for who we have been stuck there with. To me, just wreaks not wanting to play in JB’s stale zone and nothing but the zone system and offense he runs.

No ass't anywhere in the country, will want to come here now. Jb is entering his final couple of years. there is no job security. A new coach comes in and he will bring in his people.
A coach that is working his way through the ranks would, and just because a guy isn't a big name doesn't mean he can't be good. Most assistants shouldn't be taking jobs with longevity in mind. They should be looking to learn what they can and show of their talents so they can continue their move up the ladder. Good leaders are creative at putting good pieces around them. Troy Weaver wasn't a big name when JB hired him. Just like so many other things in the program JB's recent assistant hires feel stale and uninspired.

A coach that is working his way through the ranks would, and just because a guy isn't a big name doesn't mean he can't be good. Most assistants shouldn't be taking jobs with longevity in mind. They should be looking to learn what they can and show of their talents so they can continue their move up the ladder. Good leaders are creative at putting good pieces around them. Troy Weaver wasn't a big name when JB hired him. Just like so many other things in the program JB's recent assistant hires feel stale and uninspired.
That isn't the real world. These ass'ts look to ride the hot coach for all it's worth. Being an ass't coach is a tough gig. No one will come here that has any options to go anywhere else. It's the nature of the business.

No doubt, especially when any of those higher rated 5 guys could have stepped right in as a frosh and taken over for who we have been stuck there with. To me, just wreaks not wanting to play in JB’s stale zone and nothing but the zone system and offense he runs.
Just another example of JB being stubborn and always having to play a gimmick defense. It doesn’t matter if we have 5 to 6 guys that are right in your face great defensive Man 2 man guys, he will still play zone because that’s what Boeheim is and thats what drives me nuts about him sometimes. No ability to adapt or change to his surroundings or the game today and that’s part of the reason why were in the situation were in. In my opinion anybody who thinks differently is probably naïve

That isn't the real world. These ass'ts look to ride the hot coach for all it's worth. Being an ass't coach is a tough gig. No one will come here that has any options to go anywhere else. It's the nature of the business.
That's why JB needs to be good at spotting talent others have overlooked. Would it be easy? No. But it doesn't need to be impossible either. Maybe its a lower division HC that shows creativity and has an engaging personality. Maybe its an AAU guy. Of course, that kind of guy wouldn't stick around long because he'd be looking for the next rung on the ladder. But those are the kind of guys that infuse energy into a program. It won't happen because JB is stubborn and my guess is he wants to put as much effort into finding assistants as he does traveling to recruit players.

The major concern IMO , is why didn’t they want to come here ? This isn’t one or two players, it’s a trend.

This one's a no-brainer. The negative recruiting against Syracuse to big man recruits is a pretty well-known practice, and there's no legitimate defense beyond "Oh yeah?! Well once they actually passed the ball to Rakeem Christmas after four years and he put up good numbers on a bad team and got drafted like #36 in the second round!"

No bigs with better options want to play for the guy who a) doesn't use his centers on offense and b) throws them under the bus at every opportunity. And every Division I coach knows this and reminds high school kids, parents, and coaches about it.

I think JB has also created recruiting problems with how he has publicly berated players like Roberson, ruining both the player and our relationship with a top Jersey HS program. He has been trending down for years.

We did recruit other bigs.

Stewart
Cockburn
Wahab

They just didn't want to come here.

It would be nice to get our 1st choice for a change instead of our 3rd or 4th choice.
The problem is that we miss on our primary targets and then the backup plan becomes a 190 pound string bean, there has to be some muscled bigs in the juco ranks who would come here if we offered. Sometimes it is about roster construction and roles and not about so called talent. Besides, of all the tall string beans that we ever recruited, I can’t think of one who truly developed in terms of both body and progression of their games, at least not since Rony. Gotta go in a different direction.

The problem is that we miss on our primary targets and then the backup plan becomes a 190 pound string bean, there has to be some muscled bigs in the juco ranks who would come here if we offered. Sometimes it is about roster construction and roles and not about so called talent. Besides, of all the tall string beans that we ever recruited, I can’t think of one who truly developed in terms of both body and progression of their games. Gotta go in a different direction.

No love for JB Reafsnyder?

Just another example of JB being stubborn and always having to play a gimmick defense. It doesn’t matter if we have 5 to 6 guys that are right in your face great defensive Man 2 man guys, he will still play zone because that’s what Boeheim is and thats what drives me nuts about him sometimes. No ability to adapt or change to his surroundings or the game today and that’s part of the reason why were in the situation were in. In my opinion anybody who thinks differently is probably naïve
JB is incredibly resistant to change. If he switched defenses the thing that he is known for would look less impressive.