It’s not talent it’s player development | Syracusefan.com

It’s not talent it’s player development

Alsacs

Living Legend
We have talent. This 2019 college basketball not 1985 college basketball where the top teams were loaded.
The only coaches to ever keep Michael Jordan below 20 PPG were Dean Smith at UNC and Bob Knight as the Olympics coach.

Our biggest problem recently is that players aren’t getting better once they have an initial scouting report. That is on player development.
Every freshman who comes back should be better as a Sophomore.
It is not because players go off on their own in the offseason.
The players should get better during team practices.

Last edited:
We have talent. This 2019 college basketball not 1985 college basketball where the top teams were loaded.
The only coaches to ever keep Michael Jordan below 20 PPG were Dean Smith at UNC and Bob Knight as the Olympics coach.

Our biggest problem recently is that players are getting better once they have an initial scouting report. That is on player development.

Some players have limited capacity to get better. See Gerry McNamara or Lawrence Moten. Or on the other end: Billy Celluck.

Marek, Battle, Howard(I know, but...he has) have gotten better.

Brissett hasn’t so far. We’ll see.

Chukwu...well, he has since he got here. What he is now and last year may be as far as he can go.

Sidibe: incomplete.

Buddy, Carey, Washington, Braswell: we’ll see.

Some players have limited capacity to get better. See Gerry McNamara or Lawrence Moten. Or on the other end: Billy Celluck.

Marek, Battle, Howard(I know, but...he has) have gotten better.

Brissett hasn’t so far. We’ll see.

Chukwu...well, he has since he got here. What he is now and last year may be as far as he can go.

Sidibe: incomplete.

Buddy, Carey, Washington, Braswell: we’ll see.
I don’t think Howard hasn’t gotten better. He played a lot more last year and his PER was pretty much the same as a Freshman he just got more minutes. I more give JB credit for having faith in Howard when I wouldn’t have after 2 years.
Where has Battle gotten better? He was the 3rd option 2 years and the last 2 years been the first option.
Dolezaj is just a good role player. He was good last year when he gets minutes he shows he can play. His skills have been developed more from before coming to SU.
I think HS and AAU has killed basketball player development.

I don’t think Howard hasn’t gotten better. He played a lot more last year and his PER was pretty much the same as a Freshman he just got more minutes. I more give JB credit for having faith in Howard when I wouldn’t have after 2 years.
Where has Battle gotten better? He was the 3rd option 2 years and the last 2 years been the first option.
Dolezaj is just a good role player. He was good last year when he gets minutes he shows he can play. His skills have been developed more from before coming to SU.
I think HS and AAU has killed basketball player development.

Howard couldn’t shoot at all when he got here.

Battle has been far more efficient as the go to guy this year than last year. And he’s developed the ability to play some PG and set up others.

Dolezaj was not getting to the rim from the 3 point line and finishing off one dribble like this last year. Couldn’t shoot the 3 last year either.

I'm sure in evals last summer Battle was told he better be able to pass and setup teammates better, his assists are way up, and it's obvious improvement. Somebody's been working with Marek, and it's also obvious improvement. He's extended his range on his J, the move he's been using of pump faking a 3, then going by his defender to the rim is great.

I guess it's a mixed bag for some and obvious improvement for others, a lot like many teams.

Our biggest problem recently is that players aren’t getting better once they have an initial scouting report. That is on player development.
Couldn’t agree more. Said this after the NC State game too.

Alsac, your posting is just variations on a theme. Why not go back and bump one of the other 4 player lack of development threads?

Players have improved. The issue with this team is we don’t have a pg. It’s resulting in Battle playing out of position and limiting his effectiveness.

Players have improved. The issue with this team is we don’t have a pg. It’s resulting in Battle playing out of position and limiting his effectiveness.
Who has improved from last season ? Not being sarcastic , I’d like to discuss. Marek possibly. I think our players, independent of talent, should improve. With talent , they definitely should. I think player development has been lacking the past several years honestly. Just my opinion and am trying to be objective vs subjective.

Who has improved from last season ? Not being sarcastic , I’d like to discuss. Marek possibly. I think our players, independent of talent, should improve. With talent , they definitely should. I think player development has been lacking the past several years honestly. Just my opinion and am trying to be objective vs subjective.
I think Howard would have made a big jump, but that injury really messed him up.

I'm sure in evals last summer Battle was told he better be able to pass and setup teammates better, his assists are way up, and it's obvious improvement. Somebody's been working with Marek, and it's also obvious improvement. He's extended his range on his J, the move he's been using of pump faking a 3, then going by his defender to the rim is great.

I guess it's a mixed bag for some and obvious improvement for others, a lot like many teams.

I think the positive is that we look to have some depth going forward. I look forward to seeing where Hughes and OB and Marek and Buddy are at this time next year, as opposed to wondering what grad transfers we’re going to try to grab.

I look at a guy like Guerrier coming in and wonder where he will get minutes. GOOD. The days of a top 100 kid being expected to come in and start and put up 15 ppg are behind us, it appears.

It’s not about player development... it’s about the total lack of an offensive system. How is a player supposed to get better when the offense reverts to constant 1:1 street ball?

We do have talented players but we do nothing to generate good shots. The only players who will succeed in our offensive system are those with superior talent like Melo and we just don’t get many of those any more. Battle is the closest we have to that and he can’t dribble past BCs slow unathletic guard and he can’t shoot consistently.

Until the offense changes we are going to continue to look like crap.

Marek is night and day from last year. He went from offensive liability to asset. Battle has improved his handle, passing ability and overall efficiency. He’s better on the break.

Frank has improved as a shooter though he plateaued and was a failed experiment at pg. I’ve seen improvement in Buddy this year from a defensive standpoint and it’s supported by adavanced analytics.

I will give you that we are accustomed to seeing big leaps in performance. The improvements have been more subtle. Again I fell the lack of a true pg has stifled some of the development.

It's talent.

Coaches can make players a little better over time. You know who is 90% responsible for player development though? The freaking player.

It’s not about player development... it’s about the total lack of an offensive system. How is a player supposed to get better when the offense reverts to constant 1:1 street ball?

We do have talented players but we do nothing to generate good shots. The only players who will succeed in our offensive system are those with superior talent like Melo and we just don’t get many of those any more. Battle is the closest we have to that and he can’t dribble past BCs slow unathletic guard and he can’t shoot consistently.

Until the offense changes we are going to continue to look like crap.
I think there's some truth to this. I've long said I don't think what we run on offense does enough to make things easy on our players.